The online racing simulator
#1 - Chaos
Spinoff : Sideview buttons/options
I would post this in the test patch forum, but only the almighty one can start threads there

I haven't found a coherent discussion about the new sideview options. What I read at the czech forum, there are several issues that some people think need solving.

- DFP users have a problem looking 90 left/right because the hat cannot be pressed on two sides at once
- many people would like to have the posibility to choose if 90 or 45 degree view is the one-touch option

do you have any other issues in this matter? what you like/dislike on this new way of looking around?
I would suggest that in addition to the current method, the 45 left, 45 right, 90 left and 90 right views should each be allocatable to controller buttons and/or hat positions of your choice.

That should cater for everyone.
#3 - Chaos
I propose that all look options (except straight ahead) are removed from the game, and pressing the old look left/right buttons links to the TrackIR homepage. Then you'll all be really grateful for what we have now.

Ever thought that Scawen was going to remove 90° altogether, but had a change of heart at the last minute and left it in to stop moaning? Moan too much, and he might remove it altogether (all this is conjecture, NOT based on fact, but you never know).

And DFP users can use the logitech profiler or in game scripts to make what they want happen.
Quote from tristancliffe :I propose that all look options (except straight ahead) are removed from the game, and pressing the old look left/right buttons links to the TrackIR homepage. Then you'll all be really grateful for what we have now.

Ever thought that Scawen was going to remove 90° altogether, but had a change of heart at the last minute and left it in to stop moaning? Moan too much, and he might remove it altogether (all this is conjecture, NOT based on fact, but you never know).

And DFP users can use the logitech profiler or in game scripts to make what they want happen.

I don't think you're making due allowance for the fact that IRL you have peripheral vision with which you can spot things along side you without looking directly.

The only way to see to the sides in-game is by changing the view.
Might as well get rid of the whole thing seeing as no one uses it. Look at the pics to see 2 examples of how a simple glance would prevent an accident, when watching the replay i can see that i look to the left about 4 or 5 times, yet the people that crashed into me didnt look around at all. Surely at the start of a race and when its all bunched up its important to know where everyone is, and if you dont do that, at least hold your line so you dont cut other people up ....

edit: I use a dfp and use the paddles to look left/right. Only car i use paddles for gears is the F1 when i use the d-pad to look around, and sitting low in the F1 you wont see much more by looking 90deg as apposed to 45deg
Attached images
stupid crash 2.jpg
stupid crash 2 0.jpg
stupid crash.jpg
What i actually would like to see is a quick FOV changing button, so that you press a button and the FOV changes to, say 110 degrees, and when you release it, it goes back to your previous FOV (~80 in my case).
Quote from tristancliffe :I propose that all look options (except straight ahead) are removed from the game, and pressing the old look left/right buttons links to the TrackIR homepage. Then you'll all be really grateful for what we have now.

What? Remove side-view at all? That's just stupid.. Adds nothing to game or realism.. I really need my 90° view to avoid accidents.. Now, as i cant handle it yet, it's really annoying.

TrackIR? Lets me loose my buttfeel, not an alternative.
#9 - morcs
I agree 100% with dungbeetle. Sometimes you have to allow for the fact that the simulator isn't real-life. Ideally we'd all have triplehead/projector setups and 90 degrees FOV but that's not going to happen, so we need a way of seeing whether there's a car next to us.

I'd argue that this is more realistic, unless LFS is meant to simulate driving with your head bolted to the seat and the sides of your visor taped over.
Quote from Taavi(EST) :What i actually would like to see is a quick FOV changing button, so that you press a button and the FOV changes to, say 110 degrees, and when you release it, it goes back to your previous FOV (~80 in my case).

I'd like to try this to see what it's like, interesting suggestion
What he's saying is, if you use the d-pad on the dfp, you cant look 90deg ... how can you press left and right at the same time on a d-pad ? So obviously, being able to choose 45 or 90 would work better for people that use a d-pad

edit: nevermind taavi changed his post :rolleyes:
Quote from Taavi(EST) :To see 90 degrees, just push the side button you want and at the same time press the opposite view button. Nothing really has changed with this.

I think the OP was also talking about DFP wheels though, where you can't do that with the POV button ...

... but, as Tristan pointed out:

Quote from tristancliffe :... and DFP users can use the logitech profiler or in game scripts to make what they want happen.

That would effectively make the different views allocatable to the different POV positions, which is what I was after, up in post #2.
@ Vale & Dungbeetle: Yeah, sry, didn't read properly.

Anyway here's the image of my idea.
Attached images
Test.jpg
Quote from Mr.Muh :What? Remove side-view at all? That's just stupid.. Adds nothing to game or realism.. I really need my 90° view to avoid accidents.. Now, as i cant handle it yet, it's really annoying.

TrackIR? Lets me loose my buttfeel, not an alternative.

Twas a joke

I own a TrackIR 3 Pro, and I think it's rubbish for ALL car games/sims, but nice (yet still useless) for flight sims. Even after several hours of trying it, I lost about 10 seconds per lap. For the last two years I've been intending to post it, for free, to Mr Kev so that he can see how rubbish it is. But I keep forgetting to do anything about it - however, I'm moving house soon, so the change will hopefully remind to sell lots of stuff, and send Kev his groovy gizmo.
There's no arguing with Tristan when he gets his opinions as fact in his head................

Fact is, LFS is more than single seaters and there is no reason you can't see 90 degrees to your side (or more even) in that LX car in Taavi's picture if you are in an LX. Or any of the road cars. And, until we see the updated GTR interiors, there is no reason you could not see at 90 degrees in a current GTR car.

I have previously stated, yes, if in a single seater you would be seeing pieces of bodywork in your way with looking to your side, then we shouldn't be able to look there. Or actually, we should be able to look there, but we shouldn't be able to see "through" the car as we do now with the way the view does now. You would still be able to see 90 degrees beside yourself even if you could only turn your head at 45 degrees.

The discussion has gone quite off-topic with this look function. The issue is, if I'm racing close with someone, to view and watch where that person is, I give quick rapid views to my side. It only takes a split second to see the person and know he is there. Just as it would IRL by turning your head (again, in the tin-tops). It is no longer that way and it takes relieving pressure off of steering your car to hit both buttons/keys/whatever to give that quick look. It unnecessarily puts you in harms way by needing to use both hands/fingers/tongue and nose/whatever to quickly view a car that is beside you that you would only give a quick glance over at IRL. It's simply a controller/PC issue that can be solved easily and people are simply asking for a simple fix as an improvement to a new feature (the 45 degree new feature).

It has nothing to do with realism until some start spouting that it is unrealistic to be able to view at those angles. When in fact, it is perfectly realistic to be able to view at the angles we have with the new patch.

"Hey, I'm not too fond of the new view feature. I'm not able to easily see out the side. It would be better to be able to configure separate buttons............."

"We should just get rid of it all together! How about that! It's unrealistic!

There is no argument there. The views have no issue on realism. It is just the interface that folks have a problem with and is very easily rectified without arguing about false realism. It's what the test patches are for.
Ya what? I've accepted that it's possible to look 90° in reality (although I doubt anyone would actually move that far - maybe we need 35° and 70° looks). I've even suggested how the DFP lot can get around it with their d-pad using scripts. And I agree it's not realistic in the single seaters (or in updated GTR interiors possibly).
Quote from Taavi(EST) :What i actually would like to see is a quick FOV changing button, so that you press a button and the FOV changes to, say 110 degrees, and when you release it, it goes back to your previous FOV (~80 in my case).

+1

i actually tried to do this via scripts, but could not get it to work.
Quote from tristancliffe :Twas a joke

Bah, Tristan, you posted that post while I typed my post on your earlier post that you just stated you were joking with a later post is why you are currently confused with the post you posted after I posted.........

Scripts, yeah, would solve everything for us that want single-click 90 degree view. I haven't a clue how they work and never thought of them, but need to figure it out. 60 degree FOV in the FZR feels like I'm sitting on the edge of the rear seat, but 50 FOV feels like my face is planted against the windshield in the XFG. Need to get it all sorted with the scripts.
Dear Mike.

We regret to inform you that your post, from 17:57 on the 12/12/07 (and edited @ 18:04 on the same day) has led to the real and complete implosion of Tristan's mind due to excess logic. We hope to have Tristan back up and running in a few hours after some maintenance, and would appreciate your co-operation in keeping such posts to a minimum.

Regards,

Tristan's carers.
I agree that we should have the sideview that depends on the car.. For single seaters and new GTR's leave it 45 degrees, for road cars, LX's, MRT it should be 90 degrees, no question about that.. and the new behind view is not realistic at all, earlier it was the same as when i look over my right shoulder, now i can't see the mirror behind the co driver and i need that to see my blind corner..
#21 - SamH
Quote from tristancliffe :Dear Mike.
[...]
Regards,

Tristan's carers.

Once again my sinuses are clear, though everything now smells of coffee!!
Quote from tristancliffe :Dear Mike.

We regret to inform you that your post, from 17:57 on the 12/12/07 (and edited @ 18:04 on the same day) has led to the real and complete implosion of Tristan's mind due to excess logic. We hope to have Tristan back up and running in a few hours after some maintenance, and would appreciate your co-operation in keeping such posts to a minimum.

Regards,

Tristan's carers.

I see evidence of the mind implosion seeing as I posted at 12:57 and edited at 13:04

(and the script part is the added during edits, not the post about posting posts about posts. That was the original post )

Quote from SamH :Once again my sinuses are clear, though everything now smells of coffee!!

LMAO!
#23 - Woz
I think there should be a setting to allow the user to set the degreees for look left/right. For me 90 has alway been too much and now 45 is too little.

I would like to see ar far as possible but still see the mirrior.
Quote from Woz :I think there should be a setting to allow the user to set the degreees for look left/right. For me 90 has alway been too much and now 45 is too little.

I would like to see ar far as possible but still see the mirrior.

+1

for dfp drivers like me who don't use the Profiler (issues with Antivir) and never wrote scripts this would be the best way
I use a G25 wheel atm and for speedy set up just use the wheel/pedals(not the shifter with all the buttons on) this means Ive got 2 buttons on my wheel, that was enough to allow me to look left right and behind with only my 2 buttons. now with new test patch I have to use both buttons just to look left or right 90deg! 45 is ok for a quick glance but 90 is essential in the road cars to pass safely, I feel alot less aware of everything around me with the new 45 or 90 look options, and the hassle of pressing 2 buttons to look 1 way.
I find myself straining to see what in the mirror instead of being able to do a quick 2 button press to look back.

I much preferred the old way, you could look all around your position with 2 buttons only. 45 deg look, looks cool but isint very usefull if you want to see if someones pulling up alongside your rear quarter.

SD.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG