The online racing simulator
why can't we just have virtual side mirrors and get it over with?
Quote from Chaos :- DFP users have a problem looking 90 left/right because the hat cannot be pressed on two sides at once
- many people would like to have the posibility to choose if 90 or 45 degree view is the one-touch option

Quote from dungbeetle :I would suggest that in addition to the current method, the 45 left, 45 right, 90 left and 90 right views should each be allocatable to controller buttons and/or hat positions of your choice.

Yes, +1.

Some people have suggested that a script could be used, so if they would mind to post a working one I'd be happy because al of my attempts to make one failed
I simply loved the new side view format.

I suggest to have 135° too, cause in fact we can look back in this angle.

My format to use the side view would be:

You press the button one time and you look to 45°. If you press it a second time in a short time after release, no matter how long you had held the button before, in a time that you could adjust in the menu, you look 90°. If you press again in the same short time you look 135°. This should work perfectly and once you get used it would be very usefull.

BTW I got a Trackir but I don't like to use it too much. I prefer the static side views for more consistent behavior.

I also suggest to have the option to one look preference (old format) and the angle you want.

So you could adjust one look and 80°.

Scawen just have to substitute the integral values by variables and leave them in the menu, in steps of 5°, between two limit values, such as 45 min and 135 max. I think it is not too hard to implement.
Quote from SparkyDave :I use a G25 wheel atm and for speedy set up just use the wheel/pedals(not the shifter with all the buttons on) this means Ive got 2 buttons on my wheel, that was enough to allow me to look left right and behind with only my 2 buttons. now with new test patch I have to use both buttons just to look left or right 90deg! 45 is ok for a quick glance but 90 is essential in the road cars to pass safely, I feel alot less aware of everything around me with the new 45 or 90 look options, and the hassle of pressing 2 buttons to look 1 way.
I find myself straining to see what in the mirror instead of being able to do a quick 2 button press to look back.

I much preferred the old way, you could look all around your position with 2 buttons only. 45 deg look, looks cool but isint very usefull if you want to see if someones pulling up alongside your rear quarter.

SD.

Agree with this. Although if the devs want us to only have 45 or 90 then ill go with that. Most likely I just wont look left or right as much any more, and go with gut feeling and accept the consequences. People are going to have to be a lot more aware of others blind spots now, if the driver infront hasnt seen you or noticed you there he may pull into you. All part of racing though I guess.

Quote from lococost :why can't we just have virtual side mirrors and get it over with?

Oh, and sorry to be blunt but, screw virtual mirrors, real all the way.
I'm very satisfied with the current 45* look. It lets you look far enough to avoid collisions and give up places when necessary, without being as over the top and disorienting as the 90* look.

I vote to set it at 45* (or maybe up it to 60*, as a concession to the people who want to see further to the side) and leave it at that. I would also like to see the backwards look removed completely.
#31 - JTbo
I could live with only straight view, maybe that would learn people to be more careful and aware of surroundings too?

I could not use 90 degree view as I got dizzy and lost directions every time watching to side, 45 seems better in this manner, but I find myself quite rarely using that either, if there is car at side of me then I hear it and have seen it going there from mirrors and I leave him enough space to manoeuvre, if he is quicker he passes, but if he is not quicker he goes back behind me, simple me likes
Quote from JTbo :I could live with only straight view, maybe that would learn people to be more careful and aware of surroundings too?

Did you not see my post/pics on the 1st page. Its people that dont look that cause the accidents, if they had looked just once they would've kept to the left and there wouldnt have been an accident. This has happened so many times on SO chicane, and its only been out a couple of days.
#33 - JTbo
Quote from VALE 46 :Did you not see my post/pics on the 1st page. Its people that dont look that cause the accidents, if they had looked just once they would've kept to the left and there wouldnt have been an accident. This has happened so many times on SO chicane, and its only been out a couple of days.

I did, but still I could live without watching to sides, can't recall any accident that I have been which I could avoid by looking side, if there is a car I know of it without looking to side.

It is inpatient ones that think purpose of racing is winning that cause accidents really
Quote from JTbo :I did, but still I could live without watching to sides

But since everyone is not you, what does that have to do with anything?
#35 - JTbo
Quote from STROBE :But since everyone is not you, what does that have to do with anything?

It has to do right about one point of view, then we sum up all point of views and will get chance to make average or just one big party
#36 - SamH
If the side mirrors could be adjusted in order to reduce the amount of blindspot, it'd be great. That or the introduction of 5.1 sound, so that we could use our ears and a slight head movement to help us in our spatial awareness, just as we do in real life, that would be mint. I don't have an issue particularly with the reduced head-turn, but given my normally fairly narrow FOV in LFS, the 45 degree look is particularly limiting.
#37 - JTbo
Quote from SamH :If the side mirrors could be adjusted in order to reduce the amount of blindspot, it'd be great. That or the introduction of 5.1 sound, so that we could use our ears and a slight head movement to help us in our spatial awareness, just as we do in real life, that would be mint. I don't have an issue particularly with the reduced head-turn, but given my normally fairly narrow FOV in LFS, the 45 degree look is particularly limiting.

Actually I'm using headphones always when playing LFS, somehow it is quite easy to hear if car is near behind me, which side and so on, don't know if that is headphone specific thing.

I don't have enough good speakers to be used so that is why I always play with headphones.
I must say that if the mirrors could be ajusted to your own prefrence then people would not complain about the 45/90/135/ect degreee views(that may or may not come into effect).

+100 at least for ajustable mirrors, even if you cant see body work, id rather look in my mirrors and see what i want to see than see my door handles tbo.\

I also know where people are by listing to there cars,wen i race i make sure to have a quieter sound on so im more aware of others, once i hear them just before the turn i give a quick look at what side there on.
And just to clear things up with the DFP POV button. The POV buttons cannot be programmed to do two key presses and two key releases. If you don't do the key releases, the view will simply turn 90 one way... and the view will stay there. You cannnot get back to view forward again. If you do the key releases, the view will just rapidly cycle from side to front to side and back again very quickly.

I don't think this is a bug in LFS, I suspect it is how the POV button works. It is odd, but that is the way it is.

It works fine to do one key press and release. You hold down the POV button, the view turns, you release the button and the view returns to the front. So, a separte key for 90° would be usable, but the combined keys as they are now cannot work.

I am trying to figure out an LFS script to make this work now, but I am unfamiliar with the commands so it will take some learning.
#40 - JTbo
hmm, can't you push pow to 8 directions, where for example NE would push up and right buttons ?
Quote from mongoosetierney :+100 at least for ajustable mirrors, even if you cant see body work, id rather look in my mirrors and see what i want to see than see my door handles tbo.\

Adjustable mirrors are easier said than done. LFS already has to dedicate a lot of cycles to doing the mirrors that we have now, as imperfect as they are. Rendering even more views would have a huge impact on frame rate and make the game unplayable for anyone without a very fast machine and video card.

This has been covered before, I think in the Improvement Suggestions section. You might be able to find one of the old threads with the details through a search, if you care to.
@ JTbo: Nope. I've just been trying using some of the ideas in the other thread, and it simply won't work with anything I've tried so far.

If each view direction could be assigned a different key in LFS, it'd work great. You could use the Logitech Profiler to make the upper diagonals represent the 45° look, and the full left and right to represent the 90° look. Sweet.

Where it falls down is that the Profiler can't assign two keystrokes to one button. It can assign a command to one button, but when you record the command to look to one side, it just sticks there unless you record another command to release the keys, which then has to be assigned to another button on the DFP, all of which is basically a long-winded version of what Hallen said.

I've tried using the LFS script system to combine the two look keys to a single ALT+F bind (which can then be assigned to a controller button), but so far without success. If there's no way round this then we're back to square one that I was "whinging" about in the test patch forum - that the view controls in X30 are arbitrarily curtailed depending on your controller. :-/

@ Cue-ball: no resource-hogging "real" mirrors necessary imho - just bring back the old view controls! :cry:
Quote from STROBE :I've tried using the LFS script system to combine the two look keys to a single ALT+F bind (which can then be assigned to a controller button), but so far without success.

I tried the same without success

and I also have problems to assign 90° via the MS Game Controller Software to the MS FF USB Wheel:
See here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=631916#post631916

For me it's like SparkyDave said in this thread here:
I much preferred the old way, you could look all around your position with 2 buttons only. 45 deg look, looks cool but isn't very usefull if you want to see if someones pulling up alongside your rear quarter.
Quote :Changes in TEST PATCH X33 :

Views :

One button look is now adjustable from 30 to 90 degrees

Thanks Scawen

SD.
Has anyone tested whether this is changeable per car or whether it is a single value for all? I would but I'm installing stuff at the moment
A quick look at the view options suggests that it's changeable per car.
Fantastic /me celebrates
Quote from JohnUK89 :Fantastic /me celebrates

Actually, on closer inspection it appears to be a fixed value. Although the one-look view slider appears under the per-car settings (along with FOV, mirror positions, etc) it isn't memorised between car switches. If I set it to 70° in the FBM, jump in the XFG and set it to 90°, then go back to the FBM and the look is still set to 90. Not sure if it's a bug or by design. No big deal either way, I'm just thankful the option is there at all.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG