The online racing simulator
New Testpatch gives me the creeps
(37 posts, closed, started )
POST REMOVED

OK so i overreacted, sorry...

I WAS MISUNDERSTOOD, EVERYBODY THINKS I AM WHINING, I AM NOT, I WAS MERELY POINTING OUT THAT CLUTCH IS UNREALISTIC....

Kind regards
Franke
Like every thing new... give it a chance... you'll get used to it
i was saying the same yesterday when i first tried it now i got used to it and can keep the clutch cool and race without problems
If it's something you've been doing wrong for your 40,000km then yes you should change it. If you've been using a shortcoming of the software to your advantage then of course you need to change.

Like if you'd spent 40,000km using the barriers to turn corners before damage was introduced, would you complain that you had to relearn the tracks with new braking/steering points?
Deleted
I like it, but it is a thing you have to get used to. I really struggeling sometimes with the new car and shifting, but with training that comes too
Deleted
Got to remember that it`s still on test. Thing probally will be pretty much changed before the final release of the patch
Quote from Franke :
Nice work with ALMOST all of the mods in LFS, BUT, if this is the way LFS works with the upcomming Y-Patch, i think i am no longer interested in LFS, The clutch is 100000% unrealistic...

Halløj. Der er en grund til at det hedder en test patch, hvis du kan huske da der med S2's ankomst kom slid på dækkene var dette også helt forkert i starten. Der skal stadig tweakes på systemet osv.
Håber at se dig på banen dog.

In short: There's a reason why it's called a test patch.
Can you post a replay of the 1st gear, 2nd gear clutch destruction please? I want to see what your revs were like.
Quote from tristancliffe :Can you post a replay of the 1st gear, 2nd gear clutch destruction please? I want to see what your revs were like.

You don't need a replay.

Come to a complete standstill in the XFG, put it in 2nd gear an apply 100% throttle, then clutch is RED before you should change into 3rd...

YES i do know that is not the way to start any car, but still, starting from 2nd gear never hurt any normal car clutch, as far as i know.

EDIT: For some strange reason, i cannot get the clutch to redline when doing this anymore.... So my bad
Removed cos I dont think my attitude was rway off - Apols to those that read it. - The thread got my back up. Will go back to reading and not posting.
Well, it's not perfect yet and heats up too fast, but still you can't expect the clutch to last very long in scenario you're pointed out where you're slipping cluth with full throttle on second gear at standing start. In a real car you would be really gentle with the throttle in that kind of situation.
Quote from Franke :You don't need a replay.

Come to a complete standstill in the XFG, put it in 2nd gear an apply 100% throttle, then clutch is RED before you should change into 3rd...

YES i do know that is not the way to start any car, but still, starting from 2nd gear never hurt any normal car clutch, as far as i know.

Second gear and full throttle? Err...somehow I can't image any car would be that pleased of such treatment. Clutch heat might be a bit sensitive in the road cars at the moment though, but it's still a test patch.
Quote from Franke :You don't need a replay.

It does, because 2nd gear stand still gives more clutch slip (and therefore wear) than starting from a 1st gear stand still.
If I put my car in 2nd gear at a standstill, rev the engine to redline, drop the clutch, and keep the throttle flat I have a funny feeling my clutch would be pretty knackered...

Hence posting a replay, so we can give proper reasoned evidence to Scawen about how to make it more realistic. To do that, we need realistic scenarioes, not playful clutch destruction...
Please close this thread and delete it....
Quote from Franke :Please close this thread and delete it....

Why? I'm just curious?
Stop using autoclutch, and you'll be just fine, autoclutch is what's 10000% unrealistic in the XFG not the clutch heat/damage.
#20 - joen
Someone is being a bit oversensitive and "edgy".
How lovely.
Just depends on what is the most unrealistic, the new LFS clutch or what you think it should be like (not having a go but you could just be thinking what it should be like and not what it is really like).

If I put a road car into 2nd, rev it and then dropped the clutch I don't think it would break or overheat but I know it wouldn't like it, I certainly wouldn't want to do it more than once.

And from watching motor sport for all the years I have the one thing you can take away from that, is that a racing clutch is A LOT more sensitive to hard use. How many times have you heard commentators say or seen people pull out because they've burnt out the clutch after just one racing start!?

It might need tweaking but from what I understand it is now much closer to reality than before and this is a simulator after all.
What I think we need is pressure plate load to compensate for crappy peddals, etc.
I have a DFP and I have to chose between autoclutch or button clutch, neither which is optimal.
Now, I opt for auto as I don't care about every tenth of a sec, etc but I think it would add to the emersion.

Also, not sire if you noticed, but every turbo can be flatshifted without any consequences to the clutch with the new patch.
FXR works great for testing this.
Gun it, flatshift and watch the clutch heat.......not a thing(seems reasonable to me as GTR's are dog/dsg/sequential and dont have a driver operated clutch. As most real cars use ignition cut when shiftin, foot can stay down on accelaration)
I don't really see what's the big deal in lifting throttle. Even if some cars can handle flatshift without cooking the clutch, you still have to learn how to do it to drive other cars. Besides, you now need to do manual throttle blip on downshift anyways...

Just tested how XFG takes the punishment and I managed to get 2 laps of BL1 by flatshifting, clutch gave up on the last uphill just before finish on lap 2.
But I'm pretty sure FZR wouldn't even make it to the end of lap 1.

Also had a great time practising throttle blip on couple different cars which I've never done before, but doing it yourself adds a whole new level to the driving experience and I wouldn't go back to auto-blip even if it was enabled again.
Quote from Crommi :I don't really see what's the big deal in lifting throttle. Even if some cars can handle flatshift without cooking the clutch, you still have to learn how to do it to drive other cars. Besides, you now need to do manual throttle blip on downshift anyways...

Just tested how XFG takes the punishment and I managed to get 2 laps of BL1 by flatshifting, clutch gave up on the last uphill just before finish on lap 2.
But I'm pretty sure FZR wouldn't even make it to the end of lap 1.

Also had a great time practising throttle blip on couple different cars which I've never done before, but doing it yourself adds a whole new level to the driving experience and I wouldn't go back to auto-blip even if it was enabled again.

Funny thing there, FXR doesn't have CT "activated" so i am more calm now, i love endurance racing, and must say, lifting on every single gearshift in 1, 2, 3 or 4 hour stints would be madness, but i will just keep to the cars where i can "control" the Clutch Temp...
This thread is closed

(37 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG