The online racing simulator
Will heel and toeing on the G25 damage the pedals?
I was trying some heel and toe on my G25 earlier, and noticed that however careful I was, there was always some lateral force on the accelerator pedal when blipping the throttle. This hasn't lead to the pedal moving sideways yet, but could it cause damage to the pedals in future?

Any veteran LFS-ers experienced any loose/broken pedals on your G25 as a result of heel and toe-ing?

Thanks.
3 months doing it and so far so good
The G25 is built pretty beefy, its all metal inside, so no it shouldn't hurt it. But, the brake pedal really needs about a 3/4"-1" pad on it to raise it up enough for heel-toeing.
I've been heel toeing with mine since the G25 first came out, no issues at all
mine is still perfect and its been attached to my desk since I got it.

Its been a long time now since i got it...just checked my check book and its been since Dec 1st of last year :P
If there is a lateral force on the accelerator then what are you doing? It shouldn't damage the pedals, but its called heel-toe not side foot-toe.

Quote from spanks :mine is still perfect and its been attached to my desk since I got it.

Its been a long time now since i got it...just checked my check book and its been since Dec 1st of last year :P

so is, and has mine, 'cept I got mine mid november.
Quote from legoflamb :If there is a lateral force on the accelerator then what are you doing? It shouldn't damage the pedals, but its called heel-toe not side foot-toe.

so is, and has mine, 'cept I got mine mid november.

Obviously I'm not just ramming the pedal with the side of my foot, but even so, there is still an (albeit small) lateral force on the pedal. Try it yourself in slow motion.. I was more concerned about gradual wear to the pedal rather than shearing it clean off!

Thanks for the replies.
Quote from legoflamb :If there is a lateral force on the accelerator then what are you doing? It shouldn't damage the pedals, but its called heel-toe not side foot-toe.

Using your heel and your toe is a very old fashioned technique. 99% of drivers use the sides of the ball of their feet, and most pedal boxes (in race cars) are designed for this technique.

Some cars do need the heel to be used, but they are few and far between these days.

So, whilst it's call Heel&Toe it's actually Left&RightSideoftheBallofyourfeet really.
#9 - Chaos
Quote from tristancliffe :Using your heel and your toe is a very old fashioned technique. 99% of drivers use the sides of the ball of their feet, and most pedal boxes (in race cars) are designed for this technique.

Some cars do need the heel to be used, but they are few and far between these days.

So, whilst it's call Heel&Toe it's actually Left&RightSideoftheBallofyourfeet really.

please could you explain this technique? what is the "SideoftheBallofyourfeet" for us non-english... thank you...
Instead of using the heel & toe, use half of the foot for braking and the other for throttle..

I think that's it..
He means that you don't really rotate your foot any more. So instead of the toe/ball touching the brake and the heel blipping the throttle, it's more like the foot slides to the side with the left-top part of the foot pressing the brake while the right-bottom part blips. The full cramp inducing rotation is only needed on cars where brake and throttle are too far apart.
Left side of the ball of your foot (the squishy big towards the toes) on the brake pedal. Right side of the ball of your foot on the throttle. Twist ankle whilst braking = accurate throttle blip.

Most of the time you don't actually use your heel. That stays on the floor.
Video example of that? I've never seen foot footage of a technique like that. Everything I've seen is indeed, ball of foot on brake and rotate heel around on throttle.

I've seen the foot rotated to hit the throttle with the side of the foot, but not the right side of the ball of the foot (ie. foot flat on the throttle pedal). Unless this is what you are meaning with that technique.

My MOMO doesn't allow that anyways. That technique just wedges my foot between the pedals. But then again, IRL, the drivers aren't exactly racing in just their socks.
Side of the foot then. I tend to use the ball of the foot on each side, as the bit inbetween ball and heel doesn't have much feel.

My Momo and G25 don't allow it either, because the pedals are designed by monkeys, and are too far apart, with the brake and throttle level at rest not whilst braking hard etc. There are pedal mods for both that improve it, but I've chosen to reinstate my ECCI pedals instead.
ok, i get the idea now, thank you! I thought it was a way different technique, but it is very similar. I use something between those two while driving IRL (clutch pedal for LFS is on its way )... I dont have the heel on the floor and I blip the throttle with the side of my foot just above the heel...
Quote from tristancliffe :Using your heel and your toe is a very old fashioned technique. 99% of drivers use the sides of the ball of their feet, and most pedal boxes (in race cars) are designed for this technique.

I guess its 'cause I drive a miata, the pedals are so cramped yet the gas is too far away from
the break.

I have to raise my foot on the break so that the ball of my big toe is on the left outer edge of the pedal, and use the edge of my heel to do it properly, otherwise I miss the gas completely.
The main problem for me so far (I've only tried a few times to see what it's all about) is getting back on the throttle quick enough, because with my current technique I have to lift my heel off the ground. My next "big project" after New Year will be to learn it properly!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG