The online racing simulator
#1 - Krayy
InSim flag for Car-to-car Contact
Put this in the wrong forum:

I would like to see InSim flags for contact events so that we can track who has multiple car-to-car contacts over a certain time period and either report the incident, or kick the driver. This will help eliminate barging tactics.

Suggested format something like:

struct IS_CON // CONtact (Player hit something)
{
byte Size; // 8
byte Type; // ISP_CON
byte ReqI; // 0
byte PLID; // player's unique id

byte IdHit; // unique id of object hit
word Speed; // Speed delta
short AngVel; // Angle object struck at
};

If it is car-to-car contact, then a short algorithm to determine who hit the other from the contact angle and speed could determine who gets the contact packet.

As an aside, this could be used to create a Demo Derby mod if we also get Race Flags for damage done, i.e. an enum depicting damage to shocks, tyres, body, engine etc, and an int for determine amount of damage including disabling the target vehicle.
i don't know that you can tell who hit who from contact angle and speed. how do you know if the guy behind rammed someone, or if the guy in front slammed on his brakes in the middle of a straight?
Cant the XYZ co-ordinates be used also? Just have it that if the co-ordinates of one car are within a certain radius of another. Haven't tried this, so being me it probably wouldn't work, but...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Cant the XYZ co-ordinates be used also? Just have it that if the co-ordinates of one car are within a certain radius of another. Haven't tried this, so being me it probably wouldn't work, but...

Well yeah it could work..... but would be innaccurate to some degree because the lengths of cars are not fixed and are even more variable when concrete walls and armcos are involved.
#5 - nikka
You'd also need to account for actions (brakes / throttle application), position on track (to check for rejoining into traffic), the area of the cars which contact (since in a nose to side crash it's less likely to be the side car to blame) and about a dozen other variables I could think of if I sat here for the rest of the day

But if you can program that, you win a cookie

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG