The online racing simulator

Poll : If you could get one of the two for christmas, what one would you get?

Closed since :
Logitech G25
A Kicking GFX Card
Christmas help needed, Can't detemine what I want.
So my mom has just asked me yesterday what I'd like for Christmas and at this point I'm unsure, I've gotten some pretty kicking gifts for birthdays and Christmas in the pass, but this year I'm not to sure what I want. I've narrowed it down to One of two things. 1.) Logitech G25, or 2.) An awesome GFX Card. Right now I got the Logitech MoMo racing wheel and it's gathered some miles and seems like it's not working as well as it did when I bought almost 1 1/2 years ago. So I've taken my wish list to the forums and I'm going to let my fellow community people help me out with this. I'm using the Nvidia GEForce 7300le card with 256mb, I think. So If I get a new GFX Card then I'm gonna have to update my ram, I onlu got 512mb of DDR2 yeah I know I should get some more but my PC runs smooth with 512mb.
#2 - garph
I'd go with the graphics card and more RAM, it will benefit your whole gaming experience much more than a G25.
Go for the graphics card, but do make sure that your computer has the right motherboard.
Well DUDE'S I got a DELL, so I'm not sure what motherboard I got, or even what GFX card would be compatible with the board. I've been procrasthating on the memory upgrade and I'll eventually get to it in the next week or so, This pay I got holiday pay so that's double time. I'd like to get one of them SLI cards with the double lifetime thing. LMK what I should get and what I shouldn't get.
#5 - Jakg
A new GFX card will almost always need a PSU upgrade thanks to it being a Dell.

If you ONLY play LFS and you can put up with the systems performance, then a G25 is better. If not, then get the PC upgrade.
You got the same graphics card as I have, so I would definately say a new graphics card as this one is utter shizen! Like I heard someone say in the past, which I agree with... "Dell's only downside is the crap graphics cards."

I'm in the same boat really, although I don't really need either, but I would like a new graphics card or a G25.
Get the G25 - will last a lot longer (hopefully!) than a graphics card, and will benefit you far more in LFS than the graphics.
Well overall I'm satisfied with my current GFX card, I'm not sure if the graphics can get better or not but I'm wanting to get NFS Pro Streets soon, And I use the PC for photo editing as well, and Adobe CS2 don't use much but I'd like to get a memory upgrade of maybe 2 total GB, and crucial got some killer deals so I might be getting some this week.

I forgot to mention one key factor. I'm playing LFS on a 32'' HDTV and I can only get a maximum of 1366*728 RES, I tried to switch to a higher RES and it said some something about something not being compatible, even in LFS i'm at 1366*728 at 60Hz and when I went bigger it crashed LFS and I couldnt restart it, so I had to download all over and unlock. So I'm not sure if GFX card will bring out the HD and better graphics, I'd like to see what this monitor can do and I'd like to experience some Kick BUTT graphics, but I"d like to experience the G25 as well.
G25 $300 (Guesstimate)
KickAss GFX (8800 GTX ULTRA) $1000

How rich are your parents?
Quote from TypeRCivic :I forgot to mention one key factor. I'm playing LFS on a 32'' HDTV and I can only get a maximum of 1366*728 RES, I tried to switch to a higher RES and it said some something about something not being compatible, even in LFS i'm at 1366*728 at 60Hz and when I went bigger it crashed LFS and I couldnt restart it, so I had to download all over and unlock. So I'm not sure if GFX card will bring out the HD and better graphics, I'd like to see what this monitor can do and I'd like to experience some Kick BUTT graphics, but I"d like to experience the G25 as well.

..looks like marketing speech has worked on you.

Anyways, first thing to do is to check that your TV actually supports higher resolutions. It being only 32" it may not support higher modes than 720p.
1080x760 50/60Hz = 720p
1920x1080 50/60Hz = 1080i/p

I could go on with a rant about how overhyped whole HD thing is when most commonly used 720p is really a low resolution on PC standards with eye melting 60Hz refreshrate... but I won't.

As for my recommendation, get the steering wheel since it will last you alot longer. I'm actually getting myself G25 for christmas present aswell, althought I persuaded myself to start christmas little early and wheel is coming in next couple days
Ask her for the G25, and then I will pay you $200 for it, so you can get a kickass video card?

Quote from Crommi :1080x760 50/60Hz = 720p

1280x720 = 720p
Quote from TypeRCivic :in LFS i'm at 1366*728 at 60Hz and when I went bigger it crashed LFS and I couldnt restart it, so I had to download all over and unlock. So I'm not sure if GFX card will bring out the HD and better graphics, I'd like to see what this monitor can do and I'd like to experience some Kick BUTT graphics, but I"d like to experience the G25 as well.

You could have edited the cfg.txt and changed the resolution back in that. Or deleted cfg.txt completely.
Quote from Bladerunner :G25 $300 (Guesstimate)
KickAss GFX (8800 GTX ULTRA) $1000

How rich are your parents?

Well I dont see why that matters..

Quote from Crommi :..looks like marketing speech has worked on you.

Anyways, first thing to do is to check that your TV actually supports higher resolutions. It being only 32" it may not support higher modes than 720p.
1080x760 50/60Hz = 720p
1920x1080 50/60Hz = 1080i/p

I could go on with a rant about how overhyped whole HD thing is when most commonly used 720p is really a low resolution on PC standards with eye melting 60Hz refreshrate... but I won't.

As for my recommendation, get the steering wheel since it will last you alot longer. I'm actually getting myself G25 for christmas present aswell, althought I persuaded myself to start christmas little early and wheel is coming in next couple days

I'm not sure what you mean by " Marketing Speech worked on me " I wanted to know why my old version crashed.

Quote from wheel4hummer :Ask her for the G25, and then I will pay you $200 for it, so you can get a kickass video card?

1280x720 = 720p

I'll pass on that!

Quote from tristancliffe :You could have edited the cfg.txt and changed the resolution back in that. Or deleted cfg.txt completely.

I didn't know I could do that, but now I do.
Get the GFX card, and G25 for your birthday.
Quote from Rappa Z :Get the GFX card, and G25 for your birthday.

Well my birthday has come and gone, and I really don't feel like waiting until my 24th b-day, 9-11 is my bday. As of right now my mother ordered the wheel around 9ish this morning, I'm still considering a new GFX card but something thats going to give me good quality and still going to be fair in price, I'm not sure what card to get but I'd like a few steps higher then my current one, GEForce 7300LE Nvidia, So I'm looking around for a better one.
What is your budget for the graphics card, and what Dell Model do you have?

My E521 handles an 8600GTS fine so you shouldn't need a new power supply for a graphics card upgrade.
I got a dell E520, and budget is not a problem, how ever I'm not going to take advantage of that and get something outrageous. Like I said I'm using the 7300le and I'd like something a little better, something that will bring my games to life. I also got some DDR2 coming so that'll help with performance. LMK what GFX card you think I should use.
#18 - JTbo
Get wheel for Christmas, then do some things that you get paid for to get gfx card, then you have both by summer
Well the only problem with that is in summer I'm out enjoying my time on my bike, and I'm not in the house as to where it's winter and I'm confined to a house so there for I play LFS.
Quote from TypeRCivic :Well the only problem with that is in summer I'm out enjoying my time on my bike, and I'm not in the house as to where it's winter and I'm confined to a house so there for I play LFS.

I would get the G25 first simply because it's not likely to drop in price quickly, and probably has a longer useful life than a graphics card. (Well, my Radeon 8500 lasted some 4 years, but that's a special case...)

With the 7300 at least you can run all the current sims with medium graphics, and the added sensation of the G25 can fill in the blanks. Or revisit some older sims!

BUT, if money is not an issue (paid by mom) then get the best graphics card you PC takes
If your wheel is working, why buy a new one at the moment?
I rather go for the GFX card, that probally will give you more satisfaction than a new would. But if your wheel is damaged / not working, then I maybe would chose a wheel.
Well... that depends too, do your computer running LFS o.k? Or does it strugge? Hehe, there are many factors you should keep in mind
Quote from TypeRCivic :I really don't feel like waiting until my 24th b-day

dotdotdot... by this point in your life you should have moved out of your parents basement and started buying your own toys.
+1
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :dotdotdot... by this point in your life you should have moved out of your parents basement and started buying your own toys.

+1
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :dotdotdot... by this point in your life you should have moved out of your parents basement and started buying your own toys.

Why move out when I have my own PAD? I'm not going to move out knowing I wouldn't be able to afford it, Our basement it literally a medium apartment, I have all the privacy like I was living out on my own and the benefits of seeing my mom when I wake up. I dont see why this bothers people and it's mainly the people who've been struck in some kind of way as a child or growing up. Over here in the states it's expensive to LIVE and the average apartment cost $450, and some include utility's and grocery's are to damn much as it is, a gallon of milk and loaf of bread is over $5, then you have to pay for car payment and car insurance in order for you to get to and from work, and that depends on your credit how much you pay a month and if you have a poor driving record you'll pay more for insurance, Finally you have to pay other bills such as cell phone bill and credit cards all on a budget of $900 monthly, If I'd like to be struggling and have nothing in life then OF COURSE I'd move out, but right now I cant and I'm not going to do that to my future!! So what exactly was your point, are you just jealous that my mother wants the best for me and she's not going to send her only son out there to only hurt himself! So yeah I guess you can say I still live with my mommy, in her basement.

Quote from The Very End :If your wheel is working, why buy a new one at the moment?
I rather go for the GFX card, that probally will give you more satisfaction than a new would. But if your wheel is damaged / not working, then I maybe would chose a wheel.
Well... that depends too, do your computer running LFS o.k? Or does it strugge? Hehe, there are many factors you should keep in mind

I havent seen any problem with my pc struggling to run LFS, so I'm going to say it runs LFS very good.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG