The online racing simulator
Quote from mrodgers :I simply now don't have the room to move my heel up and onto the throttle, my knee hits the bottom of my keyboard tray (I'm not removing it, keyboard would be in my lap then ).

Yeah my keyboard tray is pretty close when heel/toeing too. You'll probably find though that with practice you don't need to move your foot so much though - you don't actually want to plonk your heel flat on the pedal, you can probably just "squidge" the side of the pedal with the edge of your foot and it should be enough.
Quote from thisnameistaken :.....you can probably just "squidge" the side of the pedal with the edge of your foot and it should be enough.

Quote from Urban Dictionary :1. squidge

When a cat stretches and claws the area where its about to sleep. Like people fluff a pillow before they lay down.

I'm not going to stretch and claw my throttle pedal before I heel-toe....

Rubbish definition! Squidging is the result of the meeting of one firm surface with one squishy one. Foot + pedal, nose + window, spider + steel-toe-capped boot.
mrodgers it probably depends on the way the pedals are layed out but I brake using the ball of my foot below the big toe. To blip the throttle I basically just flick my ankle to the right, my foot pivots on the ball and the outside of my foot naturally presses on the throttle. This way you don't have to move your leg at all and thus it makes it much easier to apply constant brake pressure.
Heel-toe is a bit of a misnomer and apparently originates from an old car with a totally different pedal arrangement, I would say the vast majority of people when they heel-toe don't use their heel at all but rather some part of the outside edge of the foot.

Another tip for learning that helped me at the time was to actually sit down at the wheel and pretend I was driving, imagine I was coming to a braking area and slowly go through each motion, eg. apply brake, apply clutch, change gear, blip throttle, disengage clutch, engage clutch, change gear, blip throttle etc. etc. You can do imaginary laps of your favourite track, slowly speeding up the process.
When you try learning in game as you've found out you come to a braking area and you muddle things up and next thing your in a wall.
Quote from mrodgers :LMAO! I'm in single player right now attempting to drive with a clutch. Took me a while with DXTweak since my 2nd pedal set is a very old Thrustmaster T2 with combined axis, but I've got it working. Now, if only I could left foot brake, let alone heel-toe and clutch and downshift all at the same time! This is hysterical!

Next step I think is getting the squashball back in there so I don't have as much of an axis on the brake pedal. High stiffness + high braking force in setup is pretty good for pressure sensitive braking.

Ok, accelerate, clutch, shift... accelerate, clutch, shift... accelerate......... clutch, blip, downshift... clutch, blip, downshift... clutch, blip, downshift... WOA! WALL! BRAKE BRAKE BRAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEE!!!!!

Relevant to your interests: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=34481

Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm the opposite. I find it really hard to left-foot brake in LFS because I have such generously-proportioned genitalia. It's not comfortable to have my legs that close together all the time.

Same reason I had to turn down the second McLaren seat.

We all feel very sorry for you Kev
Quote from tailing :mrodgers it probably depends on the way the pedals are layed out but I brake using the ball of my foot below the big toe. To blip the throttle I basically just flick my ankle to the right, my foot pivots on the ball and the outside of my foot naturally presses on the throttle. This way you don't have to move your leg at all and thus it makes it much easier to apply constant brake pressure.
Heel-toe is a bit of a misnomer and apparently originates from an old car with a totally different pedal arrangement, I would say the vast majority of people when they heel-toe don't use their heel at all but rather some part of the outside edge of the foot.

Another tip for learning that helped me at the time was to actually sit down at the wheel and pretend I was driving, imagine I was coming to a braking area and slowly go through each motion, eg. apply brake, apply clutch, change gear, blip throttle, disengage clutch, engage clutch, change gear, blip throttle etc. etc. You can do imaginary laps of your favourite track, slowly speeding up the process.
When you try learning in game as you've found out you come to a braking area and you muddle things up and next thing your in a wall.

The method you first describe is great for all the pedal setups pc wheels come with, I had to change to this one because my accelerator pedal in the BMW is hinged at the bottom.

In the Mazda, all the pedals swung under from the footwell, and the pedals were too far apart to rock right to blip, so I would rotate my foot and use the right hand side of my heel.

The trouble I find, it that I have to push hard on my brakes in the car, and I've got a remarkably stiff throttle pedal (which I'm going to see the docter about later this week), so when I do it in LFS, I find myself locking up all the wheels, and then when I release some brake pressure, I find out I'm also at WOT and the car goes "what the hell kind of transition is that!? I'm going to take this corner backwards to teach you a lesson."

anti-stall - obviously it doesn't just add more fuel, it opens some stupid butterfly arrangement controlled by a servo (for cruise control as well) which allows more air to be sucked in, the air mass sensor detects this and adds more fuel to maintain the right mixture, thus giving more power out the engine.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm the opposite. I find it really hard to left-foot brake in LFS because I have such generously-proportioned genitalia. It's not comfortable to have my legs that close together all the time.

Same reason I had to turn down the second McLaren seat.

lmfao
Quote from mrodgers :LMAO! I'm in single player right now attempting to drive with a clutch. Took me a while with DXTweak since my 2nd pedal set is a very old Thrustmaster T2 with combined axis, but I've got it working. Now, if only I could left foot brake, let alone heel-toe and clutch and downshift all at the same time! This is hysterical!

Next step I think is getting the squashball back in there so I don't have as much of an axis on the brake pedal. High stiffness + high braking force in setup is pretty good for pressure sensitive braking.

Ok, accelerate, clutch, shift... accelerate, clutch, shift... accelerate......... clutch, blip, downshift... clutch, blip, downshift... clutch, blip, downshift... WOA! WALL! BRAKE BRAKE BRAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEE!!!!!

Lol, it's great innit

The other night I had a shot with the G25 on 720* steering, H gate shifter, manual clutch whilst sat in a BRD race frame with a 46" HD LCD tv attached to the frame. Tell you what, it was sooooo real that it all came naturally, just like IRL. The course was FB rallyX, I highly recommend it

Back in my own house it's much more difficult to create that level of immersion in a computer chair and 19" monitor..........and much more difficult to drive with all the thingumies switched on
Quote from Me :Now, if only I could left foot brake, let alone heel-toe and clutch and downshift all at the same time! This is hysterical!

Just to note, that was an error about left foot braking. It was right foot braking I meant to say......

Been driving a manual since I got my license (1988). No need to heel-toe out on the roads driving to work. I'm amazed at how difficult it is just to use clutch and simply right foot brake even without heel-toe shifting sitting in front of a computer when I've been driving IRL like that for 19 years. I can't left foot brake for my life in a real car.

Yes, I understand the concept and the motions. I started receiving an extreme cramp in my thigh no matter how I tried to reach the throttle while braking.

Spankmeister, I've already watched the first two posted vids. Good thread start there. It will be interesting to watch it all.

If I rock my foot over to the throttle, it gets stuck between the pedals, too much room. If I rotate the foot to hit with the corner of my heel, the cramp comes, ouch! Can't say it's not fun trying (not on race server) as I go barreling into a barrier because I'm not stopping, LOL. I don't think you'll be wanting to see me heel-toe on a race server probably before S3 is released, hehe
@mrodgers, seriously you are aiming to serious injuries like that

Let's see how spring goes, maybe I can join the club then
Tonight I may bolt a small extention onto the bottom of my throttle so I can reach with my heel. And, I may try using moccasin style slippers so I'm not just in socks and not in full shoes. My moccasins look like they would be a nice comprimise.

I think my main problem is what part of my foot I use on the pedal after 20 years of driving and 12 years of using a wheel in sim driving. I use my foot way too low on the brake pedal, using just under my toes (between the toes and the ball?) on the bottom of the brake pedal.
Quote from mrodgers :I'm thinking, again, advantage goes to auto clutchers. How can you slip the clutch if the computer is doing it for you?

Talking tintops, clutch and h-shift, I would think that the only time you would get too much heat in the clutch during racing is at any time you start from a stand still, at race start, or any time you spin out and start back out from a stand still. For me at least in my real car on public normal road driving, clutch slippage is very minimal when shifting gears.

But, I don't know how that would relate to a smaller lighter clutch in race cars or single seaters. In the road cars, if assumed a stock clutch, they are made for ordinary folks driving on ordinary roads. They are designed to take slipping on a normal stock road car.

....especially since your daily driver is an AUTOMATIC....
Quote from Methyl Ethyl :....especially since your daily driver is an AUTOMATIC....

Don't you go showing up on the forum after being MIA forever just because I sent you an email about this patch and harass me! You know perfectly well why I'm stuck driving an auto at the moment (next 5 years )

:haha:
Quote from Methyl Ethyl :....especially since your daily driver is an AUTOMATIC....

lol, jokes on you dude. Automatic transmission have a lot more clutch slippage on shifts than a manual transmission does The smoother shifting an automatic is, the more clutch pack it burns up for every shift.
Unless it has a torque converter
Dunno!

A torque converter isn't a clutch (as such), so the clutch isn't slipping (nothing to slip, as such). Semantics.
Quote from Hallen :How did we get here?

A friend of mine appeared from beyond the woods to make fun of me.
I've driven manuals all my life except for my first car (hand-me-down) and now since I bought my wife a new one and got her old one as a hand-me-down. 5 more years and I get myself a new one too . Unless I buy used, which is what we are trying to avoid.
Quote from tristancliffe :Dunno!

A torque converter isn't a clutch (as such), so the clutch isn't slipping (nothing to slip, as such). Semantics.

There are clutches you know, just not at the torque converter's place. Not only one, either. There are multiple clutches in an auto box that hold various parts together for different gears. So each time an auto shifts some clutches slip.

However, I've not experienced auto boxes that are particularly smooth.
Band clutches are a bit of a different story anyway; most of the slippage happens at the torque converter. But yes, by definition there is some slip but nothing compared to a manual transmission.
Ok, sorry if this has been asked before, but it`s is rather loong to read thorught it all.
I seen people moaning about new stuff with gearing, clucths and such (damage to it too). I have those cut/blips things off, and I use clutch senquental (wrong spelled) gears. Will the new patch affect this on any kind, or can I drive like I drive today, without really notice any change?
From what I understand, if you shift without cutting (flat-shifting?) in cars with a sequential gearbox then it won't shift up at all. I don't know if there is going to be an option for this or not.
so I really need trottle cut on upshift and downshift enabled?
Probally will be slower, but what the heck, new car, maybe new so config, should complain
No, the overall opinion is that throttle cut on upshift will no more be done for you / option removed. So you will have to lift, else gear will not engage.
Throttle blip done automatically would also go away, so you will have to do it yourself (blip the throttle when you downshift, there is an interesting thread in the beginners section).
If all this happens we are in for more fun, more work and more mistakes!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG