The online racing simulator
Should I go online?
(12 posts, started )
#1 - Waz
Should I go online?
Should I go online to learn driving or do it in singleplayer? I'm not good driver and i don't want to destroy someone else peoples race. I played few races online but I avoid big rooms and skilled players. If I should not to go online how long i nees to stay on singleplayer? (like best lap with XFG in blackwood)
#2 - HVS5b
Quote from Waz :Should I go online to learn driving or do it in singleplayer? I'm not good driver and i don't want to destroy someone else peoples race. I played few races online but I avoid big rooms and skilled players. If I should not to go online how long i nees to stay on singleplayer? (like best lap with XFG in blackwood)

I would think it is sensible to hotlap or practice offline until you feel you are at a standard which allows you to control the car effectively and complete a few laps at a descent pace without crashing.

This is what I do to learn new track/car combo's.

Racecraft however, can only be learned online.

eg/ XFG @ BL1 - consistantly lapping 36's??
#3 - Bean0
You can only learn to race against people by racing against people

If you are a bit nervous of causing havoc at the start, spectate until the grid is formed and then join, you will be placed at the very back of the field.

You will learn more from spectating the fast guys than you will by trying to imrove on your own, and I know that I pick up a lot of speed on unfamiliar combos by chasing the faster guys.

Don't worry about ruining peoples races, as long as it is unintentional and you apologise and don't generally act like a muppet then you would be welcome on any server. Also, if you let the racers online know that you are new, you might get a little tuition for free
Just avoid servers that are crazy busy - if you've only got 10 or so cars on the grid there'll be less potential for causing pile-ups (and more opportunity for the faster guys to give you some attention and maybe help). Remember to brake a bit earlier for T1 (depending on how far you are back on grid) and to leave room for other cars through the first couple of corners until the field spreads out a bit - stick to your own line.

But yeah, definitely go online, it's great fun. Like Bean0 said you won't learn by not doing it.
#5 - Waz
Thanks from advice guys! I decided to play more online.
Go online and have some fun. You will pick up the pace and start competing against other driver. If you are interested, look for this server: [R-R]Yisc[NL]
It is running a 10 lap race on Blackwood with the XFG.
The server is permanently watched by an Admin (me ) so fair racing almost garanteed.
Server is mostly online in the evening, starting around 19:00 GMT.
If thats your favourite combo then stop pussy footing about and jump in the CTRA server and have some fun

one tip is two one your first couple of races hold back on the first corner then have some duels with some of the guys at the back and get a setup to try and help you get a little bit extra out of the car.

Plus be VERY VERY wary of blue flags as it will be a big thing if its your first online race it might give you a ban and they'll tell you to practice offline.

HTH.
You should definitely play online as often as you can, but don't forget to practise offline as well, after all, even real F1 drivers have some off-season practise when it's time for testing.

If you follow the tips the previous posters have given you, you'll advance progressively. Soon, you'll be able to do battle with the backmarkers, and if you keep at it, you'll eventually reach the middle of the standings. In case you're really determined, you might even become a leader, but that will never come without a lot of hard training and dedication on your part.
What I find helps, is choose one combo.. I find FE Club and XFG are easy. but crowded.

Go online and watch the leader from cockpit view until the end of the race.
Then say "May anyone send me their set for XFG plz?"

Hit "N" until connections pops up then see if anyone has sent u their set (little yellow/green "s" by their name). You have to be on the track driving to see the "s".

Click on the "S" and save the set.

Type "$track" on the CTRA servers and look at what the best laps are for the car u are using.

Go offline and get within 7 - 11 seconds of that. Then go online and remember that you will have to brake A LOT sooner than in singleplayer. Then have fun.

Some ppl say that you can go straight to online, but if you have to clue were the braking points, the correct lines, and turns are, then you will probably cause a crash.

I only ever spend maybe 4 laps offline to learn a combo if I have a decent setup.
Quote from Matt0snap :
Some ppl say that you can go straight to online, but if you have to clue were the braking points, the correct lines, and turns are, then you will probably cause a crash.

Not true. If you're on a regular server, you can just join the grid in the last place and follow the backmarkers, which are usually quite slow. You do need quick reactions so you can brake exactly when they do, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

That, combined with general cornering knowledge (out-in-out cornering, chicanes, S-bends, high speed cornering, etc..) and a sense of safe driving should keep anyone out of trouble.
Quote from Aiden McGeady :Not true. If you're on a regular server, you can just join the grid in the last place and follow the backmarkers, which are usually quite slow. You do need quick reactions so you can brake exactly when they do, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Best not to follow them too closely if you're doing that - braking when you see the car infront brake will always cause a collision because they will have started braking before the server told you about it.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Best not to follow them too closely if you're doing that - braking when you see the car infront brake will always cause a collision because they will have started braking before the server told you about it.

Nice one, I didn't know about that detail. I always make sure to keep a fair distance between me and the car in front, though, particularly when I don't know the combo.

Should I go online?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG