The online racing simulator
LFS and Vista - FPS problems
(27 posts, started )
Before I had Vista I would get SOLID 90+ FPS...

After I have put Vista on my computer I start off at 40 fps but the first turn I take its down to 20 and it usually stays there and sometimes gets back up to 40 but rarely.

I had 90 solid fps at max res and max grahpics on win xp on same computer setup.

I have a Intel Core 2 2.1 ghz, 2 gig ram 512 meg nvidia grahpics card

a 10k rpm very fast hdd same as before...

even turning EVERY grahpics on lowest setting possible on 1024x768 only nets me maybe 10 extra fps...

and it STILL dips to 20fps alot. its embarssing.

Anyone else have this issue swaping to Vista?
maybe download new nVidia drivers?
#3 - Jakg
Harjun is probably right - what is your GFX card?

FWIW i've gone from XP to Vista, and while the CPU/Mobo/RAM changed the GFX card didn't - i have no performance issues (but with a DX8 game my rig really shouldn't), although i am having driver issues.
#4 - need
I initially setup my system as a dual-boot, XP Pro and Vista Ulitmate, and was getting pretty much the same FPS in both of them.
So I'd have to guess that it's likely to be something to do with the drivers.
Maybe look into if there is a BIOS update for the motherboard, and if there are any newer version chipset drivers for it as well.
Don't limit yourself to just the graphics drivers.
Thanks for the advice, Although when I upgraded Vista I did upgrade to all the newest drivers/bios's so unless nvidia has a new update in the last month I should have the latest one. I'll double check though

I re-downloaded LFS and I will reinstall see if that helps.

Any other Idea's?
Ok I went to nvidia.com and downloaded the latest driver... (it searched for the one I needed itself.)

Anyways I installed rebooted, Tried LFS again...

No dice, actually it dipped almost to 10fps... so i'm going to reinstall a new version of LFS
OK

Lol I reinstalled LFS

Now lowest FPS is 35 highest is about 60...

:-) Much happier but still not solid 90 like before...
which nVidia Graphics card do you have?
have you turned the fps limid in the lfs settings off?

Reint Jan
Quote from hotmail :have you turned the fps limid in the lfs settings off?

Reint Jan

Yes I have tried it both ways.

Its a nvidia 7600 512 megs
FYI, I have a 7600gt and when i briefly changed to Vista, i took a 50% drop in fps.
my cousin's laptop has a C2D T-something or the other, with a 7600GS GO, and on full settings that gets 150fps average on LFS Single player...interesting, because he runs Vista Ultimate too, maybe you CPU letting you down?
The CPU is certainly not a factor in my case.

I'm not fussed anyway, i won't be using Vista again for a while yet.
OK

I just was online ( I rarely play online but anyways)

I was getting 7 fps with 14 people in the server...

What a joke!

I think I am going to go back to XP on a extra partition on my HDD this is seriously bad.
ok, good luck.
LFS runs like a charm on Vista... I get nearly twice the framerate, compared to XP!
Quote from Disposable :LFS runs like a charm on Vista... I get nearly twice the framerate, compared to XP!

same lol
I got Vista + nVidia GeForce 8400M GT and its always between 80 and 100 FPS. So no probs here.
Quote from JO53PHS :I got Vista + nVidia GeForce 8400M GT and its always between 80 and 100 FPS. So no probs here.

well yes, in Win xp in single player, hoope you donn't mind me saying, got around 200fps, but in vista, im around 250, so i don't really see the problem, although sometimes on single player it goes to 150 too, but thats with Internet explorer running, and everything maxed
Runs fine on vista ultimate X86 if not better than on XP I get about 60+ on single and 45 on full grid in multiplayer in vista and 52 and 41 on XP respectively I got and the frame rate increase in vista by updating to the performance and reliability pack i would recommend all vista owners to get that if you haven't.

EDIT: what's up with your "I support Tristan" Sig there?
nothing, i support him in his racing and stuff.
Quote from JO53PHS :I got Vista + nVidia GeForce 8400M GT and its always between 80 and 100 FPS. So no probs here.

I spoke a bit too soon

Exactly the same setup that i was getting 100fps on has now dropped to about 20 - 30 fps. I can't race cos I end up crashing into everybody .

Any Ideas?

I have a laptop that it plugged into router or wireless access point or whatever (not setup for wireless yet) and I have recently been unplugging the pc from the router and pluging it back in again cos I need to take the laptop downstairs to plug into printer to print things and then bring it upstairs again so i can play lfs (yes it is a nightmare). Could this have caused the problem?

EDIT: Framerate is all over the place now. For a brief few moments it went back to normal but then dropped again. FPS keeps changing and ranges from between about 17 and about 55 at the most
****fixed****
Ok soooooooo apparently my processor fan came loose.... go figure...

tightened it back down... and BAM 90 fps again all the time... my processor must of been overheating, hence the terrible fps
So the solution to this problem is to reinstall lfs or open up ur computer and see if the fan is still on the hardware
lol
My theory is that if u have LFS installed while upgrading to vista it some how slows the fps down

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG