The online racing simulator
LFS on Linux?
(56 posts, started )
#51 - JTbo
Just quick question, how wine should perform with 1300Mhz duron?
It is now so that if I install some game demo it takes something between 60-90 seconds when I click next button to that it regonizes click, also installing 12MB demo seem to take rather long time, but LFS patch V did install very quickly so could this indicate that I need to reinstall Wine once more?

Problem with LFS crashing still unchanged. Live for speed text does come and go very slowly at start (like there would be less than 1fps) too and it takes quite long time to load to point where it crashes.
Should I except more performance from Radeon 9550 and Duron 1,3Ghz with Wine?
#52 - JTbo
Can anyone give even educated guess about that LFS crashing issue, please?
im sorry to hear that its being so hard to get it on, the bigger problem i think is your ati card, im no expert but people always say ati has crappy linux drivers, personaly i have a nvidia card and wine worked pretty well, just install the deb and run it from the command line, getting the wheel to work was another story :P
make sure gl acelleration is working proper, use glxinfo to see if direct rendering is on or if its mesa thats working the opengl, i assume your using fglrx instead of radeon driver?
#54 - JTbo
It seems to be that DRI was not really on even it looked to be so. Also noticed that I get few errors when installing ati drivers:

loki_setup: Can't create //usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/atiogl_a_dri.so: File exists
loki_setup: Can't create //usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so: File exists

I seem to get that even I switched back to standard Ati driver, maybe I try Vesa driver next, if it then unloads those drivers and installation can be completed.

fglrxinfo does display everything being working ok, but glxinfo says direct rendering: no, after some playing around I noticed from install error log that fglrx kernel module is not compatible with this kernel version. Those earlier error messages come because installer tries to copy files again because kernel module installation fails.

So much easier it would be with Nvidia card. Maybe I try then some open source drivers I heard rumors about.

Another day:
Oh boy, now it runs, I did got envy from http://www.albertomilone.com/ and then removed old drivers using removal function of that, then tried to install new drivers from ati.com without X running and it did work really well, now I have 3d acceleration available.

Also I did install g++ 4.0 and 3.4 versions earlier, which may have something to do with it I did read.

Lfs runs 15-25 fps with Radeon 9550 and Duron 1300 when alone on track, I guess that is quite right?
yea i get a bit less fps on linux then on windows, and you might wanna turn off shadows and other stuff like mirrors to get fps up.
LFS X Session
You want more fps in linux? Try this:

With sudo account, go to /usr/share/xsessions and create a file named lfs.desktop. Put this contents and save:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/lfs
TryExec=/usr/bin/lfs
Name=Live For Speed S2
Comment=Launch Live For Speed S2 0.5X10

Go to /usr/bin and create a file named lfs. Put this contents and save:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Launch Live For Speed
#
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/LFS_S2/ # <--- path to your LFS
wine LFS.exe

Change permissions of lfs:

chmod +x lfs

Then Logout of KDE session. login in a new session named Live for Speed S2 in the login screen.

Post what you think

PS: Only tested in KDE / kdm. I don't know if this work on Gnome / gdm, maybe yes (Gnome 2.20).

LFS on Linux?
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG