The online racing simulator
Frame Rate
(45 posts, started )
Celeron's deal very badly with games with intensive physics engine, they have very litle amout of l2 cache(128kb in your model) so there is nothing you can do really..

I have a 2k celeron myself, but it is my server, no way runing games on it...

WGooden amd's are way more eficiente that celerons, in games you cpu is no douthl best..
Agreed
CPU is a must for LFS (most games really)...

Grab the fastest P4 you can afford and wack that in.
You will be amazed!
I got the new memory today but my motherboard is so tempremental that it wouldnt accept it The fps is still low so im saving all i can from now on!

If anybody has any other ideas please post them!

zoolpool
You can allaways try to overcloock it, celeron don't heat up that mutch, you can reach 2.6ghz in the stock cooler with no problems

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021016/index.html as you would se here it will still leave you beind an atlhon xp 1600+ but try it out
Try the LFS benchmark like Mounthy suggested. I would suggest doing the min/max benchmark for your current install, then download and install the demo to a different directory and do the same tests there. If the two are different, it's not your computer, it's your settings. If your frame rate is acceptable using the "min" settings, you could slowly turn things back on until it gets slow again. I don't think your machine is the problem. It's not the fastest thing on the planet, but I was able to run multiplayer LFS on a machine half as fast with a lesser video card. You just need to find out what settings are acceptable on your particular machine.

Turn off trees, driver, steering wheel. Make sure you're not running anti-aliasing. Run 16-bit and simple wheels. Turn down the mirror settings as much as you can without disabling the mirror all together. Just these few things can give you an easy 15fps boost.
Quote from zoolpool :I got the new memory today but my motherboard is so tempremental that it wouldnt accept it The fps is still low so im saving all i can from now on!

If anybody has any other ideas please post them!

zoolpool

Just a hunch but many of those celeron boards only take low density memory. What model mobo is it? Can you list the number on it? And the brand name? Also list the memory you bought, and links to where you bought it. Maybe it is incompatible, and you can return it and get the right memory. It may not be the problem, but it may be.

Also maybe we can help you get the board to accept the memory if it is the correct kind.. I have a few things you can try, I have built at least 20 PC's over the past few years.. and ran into all kinds of things like that.
Turn as many of your graphics settings down or to off, and also make sure you install the latest drivers for your graphics card, this can make a considerable difference... i would be suprised if you can't get an average frame rate of around 50 with your hardware...
50??!! With that hardware!!!?? I get 50 and I have a P4 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM and most importantly a Radeon 9600XT 256mb!!! He has 256mb, a celeron 2ghz and a Radeon 9000 64mb!!!

I would expect about 30fps in one player and less per car on track in average detail mode.
try using the wheels only view ... you shpuld get a lot mor fps with that ...
#35 - Woz
Quote from tonyyeb :50??!! With that hardware!!!?? I get 50 and I have a P4 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM and most importantly a Radeon 9600XT 256mb!!! He has 256mb, a celeron 2ghz and a Radeon 9000 64mb!!!

I would expect about 30fps in one player and less per car on track in average detail mode.

A 2GHz P4 is a VERY different beast to a Celeron.
Quote from tonyyeb :50??!! With that hardware!!!?? I get 50 and I have a P4 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM and most importantly a Radeon 9600XT 256mb!!! He has 256mb, a celeron 2ghz and a Radeon 9000 64mb!!!

Fair enough i hadn't realised that his gfx card was only 64Mb however i have a lower spec machine than you and i get an average frame rate of over 70 so you obviously don't know how to optimize a PC, stai zitto :banana:
And how do you optimise a PC then please?

Quote from Woz :A 2GHz P4 is a VERY different beast to a Celeron.

I know... that was my point... read my post again... i was saying my PC which is much better gets 50 and so a PC with rubbish specs should run slower...
I managed (with a little help!) to install the memory, it turned out my motherboard needed a 2.5V memory, not 2.6 as i was trying to install! This marginally improved the frame rate but not enough to make any real difference. i will try to set the benchmark system tommorrow and see what the result is.

zoolpool
I have just done the benchmark system for the min and max.

The min i have posted and my result was - min=14 , max=37 , average = 24

the max i could not post because it said the result had to be between 103000 and 104200 ms which it was!
Frames: 762 - Time: 103734ms - Avg: 7.345 - Min: 5 - Max: 12

How do i find out if my pc or my game is to fault?

zoolpool

EDIT: I am now using the settings from the min file and my game is running alot faster! although still not great!
if i compare it with the other results in the benchmark
your system should run much faster with LFS.
like the guy with the amd 1500+/gf5200 with a average of 62 frames
i would aspect your celeron 2000/ati 9000 close to this.
maybe a bit slower but not that much.

some settings are left they are not in the cfg.txt
these settings are in the card_cfg.txt
or in game -> options/grafics.
attached pic should show your settings,(not sure with the z-buffer)
the "hardware vertex shading" and "simple track" has a big performance influence.
play a little with it and look what happend.

last is the sound, disable it with shift-n in game
or better in windows device manager or bios if its a onboard sound.

did you run the benchmark in a new LFS install?

if so and the above settings didn`t help, it`s to 99,9 % not LFS where the probs comes from.

so then your pc and/or windows left as the guilty parts
thats a bigger task to find the fault,
first look, make sure AA and AF is disabled.

if all doesn`t help we need some more infos about you pc,
maybe you can attach a system-report?
Attached images
card_cfg_txt.jpg
thanks for the settings, the frame has now improved although its still very low when other cars are close. a race with a full grid round blackwood is still about 2.0 but single player and multiplayer (when not racing in pack) is about 25-35. the only time my frame rate goes close to 60 is when i pause the game!

i used my install and not an original. i also did the sound but it didnt change anything.

zoolpool
Your cpu will never run the game mutch faster than it runs now, not even with a better grafic card. If you can ty to get a P4, even a P4 1.6 is mutch faster than your cpu. As a said before l2 cache of only 128kb is to small, its the main problem that causes the lack of performance and it is the main diference to any P4.
I tryed my 2nd 9700pro on my celeron2.0 (512ddr266 mem) server and it has only 6700 3dmarks in 2001se, that is damm low, i can do that with a amd2000xp and a gf3ti200...
If you can go for a cpu otherwise turn everything off and it wont get better than that.
What i mean is that there is no anomaly in your low fps, the problem is your cpu and unless you change it the problem wont go away...
ill try to upgrade my pc when i can, although it wont be soon judging by the prices! i fiddled with the graphics again slightly and my frame rate is between 30-40 on multiplayer, so im happy enough, even with the poor graphics!

it even reaches 40-60 on single player!

Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has any more suggestions please post them.

zoolpool
My teammate Devil 007 has got very good bench results with his radeon 8500, even higherthen me with 6800GT
The CPU is so damn important in LFS.

About your problem: You said that the ols demo (0.5K or L I guess) was running much better? This is really weird as you have already used the low-config, which should use really the best performing settings.
Could you check your gfx card control panel, plz?
(rightclick on your desktop and select Properties->Settings-Advanced or something similar regarding to your language setting)
Make sure that and kind of AntiAliasing or Anisotropic filtering are disabled.
You can also make some screens and atth them here.

Some performace comparison:
My notebook (centrino 1.5) with reduced clock to 600MHz runs still at 30 fps or more with one car in cockpit view, but all settings are at max (!). This is really weird because a Celeron is not THAT slow, is it?

Maybe you shoud download some serious CPU benchmark program like SuperPI
http://superpi.radeonx.com/super_pi_mod-1.4.zip
and run for example the 1M calculation in order to check if the system itself works as it should. My notebook at 600MHz gets around 2:30 mins, which is really totally slow, at 1500 it takes 51 seconds.

I dont think a Celeron with 2GHz should take longer than 2 minutes.
Try buying a used P4, should be really sheap, and a 1.8 would do...

Frame Rate
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG