The online racing simulator
Frame Rate
(45 posts, started )
Frame Rate
Hi

I need some help with my frame rate. My rate is only 11 which makes the game work very poorly. i dont know why this has happened because when i had the demo it was at 31 and it was fine. i installed the latest patch i dont know if this has caused it.

can anybody help?

zoolpool
Which demo? The old S1 one, or the S2 Alpha?
it was the s2 demo, ithen unlocked it once for s1 then again one day later s2. i installed the patch a day after that
i did change the graphics to get rid of some lag on multiplayer but ive changed them back to the original

zoolpool
Do you only get it in multiplayer? Or single player as well?
everything, hot lapping, single player and multiplayer

zoolpool
Hmm.....thats an odd one.

Have you installed anything else since recently that maybe running in the background? What spec is your PC?
i have installed a new hard drive but lfs is on my other hard drive that i never touched! i could reinstall it but i would loose an unlock

zoolpool
Radeon 9000

256mb memory

2.00 ghz Intel Celeron
Do you need any other specs?

zoolpool
Hmm. My only comment would be that it might benefit from some more RAM - especially if you're running XP.

I cant think of anything atm, which would cause a slow down for the P2 patch.

I assume you've not got the DirectX SDK installed? Last time I installed the full thing it killed LFS for some reason.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Last time I installed the full thing it killed LFS for some reason.

most liekly had it in debug mode.

i sugest more ram. the celeron wont be helping matters either.

also, options -> misc -> minimum sleep. what value is that?
im going to install 256mb of memory tomorrow so ill have 512mb, ill see how that goes! the minimum sleep was at 1ms altough i increased it to 20ms but nothing really changed.

if my computer is the problem then i dont understand how it worked on the demo?

zoolpool
MORE INFO:
I have the graphics etc set-up like they are with the original download. my frames are around 11-33 on blackwood in the v8 with a clear track. if i enter the other ai drivers though it drops to 1-2 which makes it impossible to drive.

in multiplayer it is usually around 10-18 unless lots of people are in the same place, such as banger racing, where it drops again to 1 or 2

zoolpool
Im sure the extra memory will help
Quote from zoolpool :MORE INFO:
I have the graphics etc set-up like they are with the original download. my frames are around 11-33 on blackwood in the v8 with a clear track. if i enter the other ai drivers though it drops to 1-2 which makes it impossible to drive.

in multiplayer it is usually around 10-18 unless lots of people are in the same place, such as banger racing, where it drops again to 1 or 2

zoolpool

turn down maximum texture size and turn on use half textures.

just tweak the settings in the graphics menu
Quote from zoolpool :im going to install 256mb of memory tomorrow so ill have 512mb, ill see how that goes! the minimum sleep was at 1ms altough i increased it to 20ms but nothing really changed.

if my computer is the problem then i dont understand how it worked on the demo?

zoolpool

Turn it back down to 1ms. Increasing this more than this will only harm fps.
theres lots of settings that affect FPS, e.g. screen resolution, level of details, dynamic detail reduction (set it to 1) and so on. In singleplayer, turning off mirrors can give you up to 10 moer frames per sec, but please dont do it in multiplayer :-). The lfs Handbook for s1 can give you a good overview on what the options do. Yes and dont forget to set the minimum sleep back to 1 ms.

Maybe you want to try some mild overclocking on your machine...turn AF and AA down, if you have a graphics card with hardware shading...
AFAIK, RAM doesn't change in game fps, it affects loading times, it may help and give you an extre 3-5fps but thats it. Make sure all your drivers are up-to-date by going on your cards manufacturers site and getting them.
Quote from gizmo2k5 :AFAIK, RAM doesn't change in game fps, it affects loading times, it may help and give you an extre 3-5fps but thats it. Make sure all your drivers are up-to-date by going on your cards manufacturers site and getting them.

It will affect FPS if it needs to page to the hard drive every 10 seconds.

Quote from dUmAsS :most liekly had it in debug mode.

Unfortunately not, which is why it baffled me
I agree. The PC is probably hammering the virtual memory as it runs out of RAM. New memory today so lets hope it has SOME effect!!
Need a new PC to run LFS S2 with any kind of speed.. you can get it playable, but man it wouldn't look very good.

Radeon 9000

256mb memory

2.00 ghz Intel Celeron

Turn everything down in gfx card drivers and in game and run at 640 x 480..
Show no more than 3 to 4 cars on screen..

To be playing any games you should really upgrade your PC though. If not the entire PC, upgrade the CPU, GPU, and ram to the highest that mobo will allow.
I reduced the graphics and things today and it improved the fps, so now its bearable, but the memory didnt arrive so ill get it tomorrow hopefully!

i still dont understand how the demo worked though!

zoolpool
but if you have the money i would suggest getting a better video card
Quote from Yellow :but if you have the money i would suggest getting a better video card

the card can cope with lfs just about fine. i would replace the cpu as priority
Wow, maybe I'm lucky or something but my computer is way slower and runs lfs better.. Im on an amd 1ghz with just 128mb ram and geforce mx/400.

With all the graphics off at 1024X768 in hotlapping i get like 40-60 fps and online about 30 with a few cars, but at starts with a full field it drops to about 10 or less until the field sorts out. I am gettin a new pc soon though.. I'm sure the game will be 100times better with decent graphics.
try the LFS Benchmark
http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/?c=instructions
post the result from both (min & max cfg.txt) test here.
and also the content of your card_cfg.txt. located in the lfs main folder.

depending of the result we can see where the probs come from,
LFS or windows/your system.

edit:
maybe run the test in a fresh install,
just unzip LFS in a new folder. no unlocking for the test needed.

Frame Rate
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG