The online racing simulator
Can anyone here recommend rFactor?
(47 posts, started )
Quote from mr_x :RACE07 is brilliant, huge step up from RACE.

There's some sync issues online, but they're quite rare and Simbin are working on a fix for it, the netcode is very smooth, allows for bumper to bumper racing very easily.

Public servers are full of wreckers as mentioned before, but I race with a community with organised race nights on tuesdays and fridays (and any other days people organise them for) and getting 24 people in evenly matched cars bombing around Brands Hatch Indy circuit is a hell of alot of fun, I can tell you now! :P

In short... for online play, join a community.

Oh plus, Custom skins and addon tracks are supported with RACE 07.

Hmm, looks like I may get Race07 after all. One question- Are the add-on tracks supported in both the retail and the Steam versions?

EDIT:- Apparently you can add your own tracks/skins etc in the Steam version...

I think I am going to get RACE07 instead of rFactor. It will let me import tracks, has a good selection of cars and seems to be a much more 'solid' purchase out of the box. After all, I want to spend my time racing, not installing a plethora of addons. Also, the selection of cars should keep me happy for a while.

Feel free to tell me off if you think I have made the wrong decision!
#27 - mr_x
Yep addon tracks work on steam version too, and work online as long as the track is installed on the server.

the winner for RACE07 over rFactor would be the fact that RACE07 has rain effects, and damn good ones too!

Yes it has its fair share of bugs, but I can assure you that Simbin are working hard to sort as many of them out as they can
Quote from mr_x :Yep addon tracks work on steam version too, and work online as long as the track is installed on the server.

the winner for RACE07 over rFactor would be the fact that RACE07 has rain effects, and damn good ones too!

Yes it has its fair share of bugs, but I can assure you that Simbin are working hard to sort as many of them out as they can

u've forgotten the decent FFB standard thats in the game RACE07
#29 - mr_x
Quote from Scrabby :u've forgotten the decent FFB standard thats in the game RACE07

yeah FFB is good too... very adjustable to suit your own needs
Quote :Can anyone here recommend rFactor?

with a straight face ?
'fraid not

Quote from Scrabby :u've forgotten the decent FFB standard thats in the game RACE07

Quote from mr_x :yeah FFB is good too... very adjustable to suit your own needs

thats one way to lose all credibility in discussions on a sims quality

IIRC from the demo it still uses effect based FF, despite the fact that realfeel shows that with correctly setup suspension it is far simpler and better to do it the LFS way, the fact that SimBin have chosen not to follow that path leads me to believe there is something seriously wrong as does the F3000 seemingly sudden grip drop off.
but its better then rFactor's standard...is there any?
Quote :RACE07 is brilliant, huge step up from RACE.

Quote : the winner for RACE07 over rFactor would be the fact that RACE07 has rain effects, and damn good ones too!

Is that all? Not meaning to sound rude or anything, but I found the Race 07 demo to be pretty dodgy. Is rain the only saving grace?

I read a couple of reviews which suggested that the force feedback had indeed been improved- but that's not gonna help a mouse driver like me.
At the end of the day, Race is running on the same physics engine, perhaps with slightly less bad data put into it than the other isi based games. Rain is a gimmick, being no more than general reduction in grip. No aqua planing or anything in general having to do with water throughput through tires there.

Quote from mr_x :yeah FFB is good too... very adjustable to suit your own needs

Very adjustable... I view that as a fault in ISI's FFB programming.

There should only be options that help your hardware adapt, like overall force scale and FFB lag. There definitely shouldn't be options that let the user fudge rumble pull, understeer force drop-off, rear wheel grip mix-in and all sorts of sh!tty vibes.

ISI used this as a major cover up, since the F1 games, for the lack of correct suspension, correct tyre SA torque, correct rumble strip,
uneven road surfaces. Even now in rFactor, ISI's original cars and tracks still lack all the above, as is evident when you use RealFeel.

In short, ISI added loads of effects to hide the fact their physics was wrong in the first place.
Quote :Can anyone here recommend rFactor?

Yes

Quote : Will rFactor be a huge letdown physics wise compared to what I am used to in LFS?

Nope.

Quote :I simply want to know if rFactor can 'fill a hole' that LFS doesn't yet fulfill, so to speak.

it will if you give it a chance.. Rolling starts etc, hundreds of mods, its a great game. Wouldn't call it a simulation, but its a great alternative to LFS yes.
i like the corvette C6, the Lexus IS-F, 1979 f1 mod is pretty cool, Carrera cup 2007 mod is fun as well, 1951 f1 mod, and i have the FS0ne 2006 mod installed...but i almost never play it. I've got a few other mods installed, but i almost never install those.

plz excuse my punctuation. Rfactor is pretty fun ,but i wonder how long till rfactor 2 comes out.. or something else better. If there was a price drop on rfactor, i might find it easier to reccomend the game.

the realfeel has done alot for the forcefeedback of cars, along with carfactory. Before the ffb was horrible.
Can I recommend rFactor? No. I gave this game a fair go be it only in off line mode, but the feed back to the wheel was very poor I spent a week and a lot of forum searching plus downloads to try and get the wheel to feel right with no luck. Then when going back to LFS it took awhile to tweak my setting back to the way they were. Apart from that it could have been a lot of fun, so maybe it's just me but it was just to much hard work to make it work.
Yep, that's the main problem with rfactor, imho. The lack of predictability. While your experience with one mod might be all good and fun, some other mod could be totally crap. You try to tweak it and you might even succeed, but switch to a different mod and you're tweaking again. And I'm not even talking about mods that are utter crap, just your average mod that gets high ratings by a fair amount of users. And experiences differ between different players of the same mod. The PCC2007 mod for example, I can't get to feel even remotely right, but tons of people thoroughly enjoy it obviously. Of course, I'm using realfeel, so that would account for my bad experience with many of the mods, but default ffb I could never get to feel right. However, there's a plugin called LeoFFB which seems to work with most mods and is imho much better than the default ffb.

So the bottom line is, I would recommend rfactor to anybody who is willing to invest some time in it and doesn't mind fiddling with all kinds of settings and trying out tons of mods only to find out that 80 % are not "for them". It's just not nearly as accessible as LFS, imho.
The difference in opinion on all the mods is a sign on just how bad both the mod and the expectations from the players are. Peoples views on what is realistic just lie so far apart!

It is unfair perhaps to expect more from the game players, but the mod creators acting purely on 'feel' (tweak this tweak that..) make for cars that handle so different from mod to mod. LFS cars are all build according to Scawens philosophy making it much more coherent.

I'm very biased of course but all those settings people mention are imo ... SHOULD imo not be required. Just a one time editing of certain files to get rid of all the driving aids, then make sure you run Realfeel and tune its 'max force', make sure you get 100fps, and off you go..

If a mod doesn't work this way, it is not worth playing. In reality, though, LFS has FAR more usable content than rFactor. In rFactor I count perhaps 1, 2 or 3 cars and perhaps 10 tracks that are decent.

Then however, the experience is certainly worth playing. imo..
This might not be the correct place to post this thread but no point in starting a thread for this question

how do I download new cars on Rfactor ?

I got it today and it is telling me I used my maximum dowloads per day ?
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :This might not be the correct place to post this thread but no point in starting a thread for this question

how do I download new cars on Rfactor ?

I got it today and it is telling me I used my maximum dowloads per day ?

You don't have to use the rfactorcentral downloads. There are usually plenty of others available. Only rfactorcentral's own downloads (marked with a little icon) are limited.
Agreed, but most sites link to RFC

DK
yep but when I try downloading through another server I have to register and pay right ?
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :yep but when I try downloading through another server I have to register and pay right ?

rapidshare limits you to one download for a set time (about an hour IIRC) and megaupload limits you to one download at at time. You can pay to lift these restrictions if you really want to. Most other servers are free and can vary in quality. I'd recommend you use rapidshare and megaupload when possible.
Quote from ajp71 :rapidshare limits you to one download for a set time (about an hour IIRC) and megaupload limits you to one download at at time. You can pay to lift these restrictions if you really want to. Most other servers are free and can vary in quality. I'd recommend you use rapidshare and megaupload when possible.

Thank you mate but how do I use these ?
The link seems to be there but Don't know how to start the downloading of the file ?

thank you

Can anyone here recommend rFactor?
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG