The online racing simulator
LFS Speed Comparison
(99 posts, started )
thought you wanted your "beloved FXO"?
#27 - Jakg
I realised that my beloved FXO has been overused after 12 STCC Round and needs a break from being thrashed.

Yes i'm a n00b
no worries
Username: Tweaker
Realname(if possible): George Bush
Car: FO8
Why that car: Because I want to show the BF1 who's boss

EDIT: One suggestion would be that we all use LFS default skins, so quite possibly it looks a bit more 'official'.

EDIT2: Do we have to do it so soon? Your signup list isnt even full, and I think this will take way more time to figure out the handicap-gap times before we even do a practice.
-
(Tweaker) DELETED by Tweaker
RudiTurbo asked me to reserve a spot for him in FXO.
He will post entry form when hes home from school.
Quote from Tweaker :

EDIT: One suggestion would be that we all use LFS default skins, so quite possibly it looks a bit more 'official'.

EDIT2: Do we have to do it so soon? Your signup list isnt even full, and I think this will take way more time to figure out the handicap-gap times before we even do a practice.

Yeah i guess thats a good idea.

the handicap-gap is based off practise lap times so we need to do practise session first.
Username: DaveWS
Realname: David Williams
Car: LX6
Why that car: Best car in LFS
Wouldn't qualifying be easier to track the times everyone gets?

If you just simply have people start with the gap/difference from everyone's laptimes, it doesn't take into account their startline acceleration ability. So a lot of the slower roadcars will easily lose several more seconds on that alone. Perhaps as a test before we do any of this, figure out how much time (from 0 mph) it takes for the cars to get to T1 from the startline.

LX6 would've been my 2nd choice, nice Dave
#34 - bozo
Quote from Arrow. :... depends on the last times from practise

I like the idea, it looks fun. A question though. If the handicaps are calculated from the practice times, and drivers practice in their own car, then they will be driving as slowly as possible during practice to minimise the handicap. Would it be better to derive handicaps from WR, which could be done before the event?

Also, I presume the handicap wouldn't be purely the difference between the lap times of 2 cars, as the faster cars will be slowed by each car they need to overtake (allowing for acceleration times as per Tweaker's comments)
#36 - Kaw
Quote from Dajmin :Username: Dajmin
Realname: Paul Muir
Car: FXO
Why: Cause I like it and n00b took the RB4

Quote :RudiTurbo asked me to reserve a spot for him in FXO.
He will post entry form when hes home from school.

Dajmin Reserved it yesterday ?

You'r not very good at this arrow
I would take the MRT5 but I'll be at the pub at that time this Friday. Seems a really fun idea though. I'd imagine this would take a long time to perfect, and some good organisation.

Is it possible to disallow anyone form doing flying laps and still record times in a qualifying session? People could do an outlap, park just before the start line, the pull away again?

Another consideration (with a large field) is position on the start grid, as you could be starting a long way back. Or jst have drivers roll up to the start line and wait for the OX signal?

Hope my brainstorming session is useful.
#38 - bozo
Username: bozo
Realname: Andrew Turner
Car: RAC
Why that car: It's a challenge
Quote from Bob Smith :Is it possible to disallow anyone form doing flying laps and still record times in a qualifying session? People could do an outlap, park just before the start line, the pull away again?

Or do several 3 or 4-minute quali sessions. But the BF1 will probably have done already 2 laps when the UF1 starts his flying lap.

Quote from bozo :I like the idea, it looks fun. A question though. If the handicaps are calculated from the practice times, and drivers practice in their own car, then they will be driving as slowly as possible during practice to minimise the handicap.

Why? As I understood it this isn't about winning but about finishing as close together as possible. Driving slower than you can or than you will drive on Friday night destroys the whole concept.
2 things spring to mind:
Using standard skins will make everything blend, why not stick to our own skins and have some individuality?
What about passing? if someone makes a stupid mistakeRB4and doesn't want others to get by, it'll get pretty hectic, maybe something like a full course blue flag could be enforced?
#41 - bozo
Quote from zeugnimod :Why? As I understood it this isn't about winning but about finishing as close together as possible. Driving slower than you can or than you will drive on Friday night destroys the whole concept.

Very true. I just think there is not the same motive to do your best lap in practice as when qualifying for a 'normal' race ... the harder you drive during the practice, the faster you'll need to be in the event. If you take it easy in practice, you've got more of a margin to get up to the UF1 by the finish.

Does that not take away some of the urgency?

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from speedway :anyway, to make this a close finish everybody should drive consistent lap times, of course this will need a couple practise laps BEFORE friday
(thinking of a specific person here, i hope he knows hes meant)

I know who is meant.
Quote from LFSn00b :O/T: DaveWS, is that an edited pic or from what epsode is that?

Nope, it's from the latest episode.
Quote from lococost :2 things spring to mind:
Using standard skins will make everything blend, why not stick to our own skins and have some individuality?

What makes you think default skins 'blend'? We aren't talking plain colors here I hope....

Though, team skins I've seen lately are just plain terrible, that is for sure.

-------

But so what, I just realized that Fern Bay Black is probably not such a good choice, having 19 cars on the last sector of the track makes it all VERY hard to pass, I suspect an accident every time to be honest. You also would not have a lot of time to keep a camera on one particular car. Fern Bay will just look wildly ridiculous through the chicanes... though yes it does give a faster feel when in-car.

Technically the longest and widest track is Aston Grand Prix, with a 4:05 laptime for the UF1, and a 2:05 laptime for the BF1. Putting that into perspective, that is more of a 'speed' and grip comparison. Having the BF1 wait 2+ mins in the video, and then to have it catch up to every other car on the last few turns? THAT is amazing . Gives a lot more room for the BF1 to try and haul azz past the cars on the straightaway.

Would make for like a nice long 6-7 minute video.
Quote from speedway :lets make sure i dont get a bott-deja-vu

Yeah I owe you one on that, but no worries
Quote from Tweaker :Technically the longest and widest track is Aston Grand Prix

I wouldn't mind for doing it on FE black, but your choice seems to be much better
Quote from Kdovi :I wouldn't mind for doing it on FE black, but your choice seems to be much better

I wouldn't mind either track (FE Black or AS GP), but I think AS GP is a much better solution for this comparison.

Fern Bay is way too tight, and if all of the 19 cars are in the last sector, it would be impossible for anyone to pass. Also this is why you see these speed comparisons with only 3 or 4 cars... never 19.

Aston GP may be wide and less interesting in terms of a car pushing it really hard through a bumpy track.... but it has the added bonus of nice wide open areas with lots of speed. If all the cars were coming up on each other in the last sector, imagine the backstraight and the last chicane... that has plenty of room for a bunch of cars. And if the BF1 wins, it looks a bit more like AS GP is its 'home track' because of all the BMW adverts .
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from speedway :i'd even go for as gp reverse, simply to reduce the possibility of a pile up in last chicane

I agree. Reverse would be better indeed. Better camera angles if you go in the reverse direction too.
(PSP)yeah good point tweak, i think we will stick with fern bay black for now. if appears to be a problem we could try aston if people are willing to stick around a bit longer. please check 1st post for info on skins.

just need a MRT & FZR driver..
Aston Historic and Kyoto GP (both either direction) would work.

However, WRs can't be used for this sort of thing well as hotlaps don't use online ballast ...

LFS Speed Comparison
(99 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG