The online racing simulator
"Drift Resistance" What is with this?
(130 posts, closed, started )
Quote from e2mustang : U wanna know the truth why they hate drifting? coz they cant do what drifters do(most of them) and they are pissed

If any drifter seriously thinks like this, download a replay of a decent lfs rallycross race. You'll see 2-4 guys doing synchronized drifts within a foot or so of eachother corner after corner while attempting to pass eachother and maintain maximum speed on the course. It's not that we can't drift, controlling a car right at the limit is a lot harder to do than bludgeoning the limit. I started as a drifter and also had the opinion that drifting gave me some form of slight magical skillz that none of these 'racers' had, boy was I wrong when I started racing in LFS. It definitely meant I was good at catching a slide, but that was about it.
#27 - Woz
Yep Gunn has it nailed. It is all down the the "w3 drif73r5 i5 l337 innit" mentality that is the cause of ALL the friction. If these people would JUST GROW UP it would solve a lot.

To be honest. The same happens everywhere, a good example is Ski vs Snowboard that was common early on. I started snowbarding very early on when many mountains did not allow snowboards at all. There was hugh friction and big fights all because MOST snowboarders at the time were very young and appeared to believe they were the centre of everything and could do what they want when they want etc. The young kids at the time acted like idiots on the slope and then got aggressive when challenged because of their actions. It took years for the fighting to stop, the trigger being when the snowboard community got an older average age.

In LFS I have had situtions where I join an empty server. Select a combo and kick of a qualify waiting for people. You then get some young "l337" drift kid join and without asking changes the track because X track is no good for drift. As soon as you say something you get bitch talk back.

The same morons are on the roads too. In the past 2 days alone I have had 2 C***s (Self censored) try and drift on a crowded road and mess up just avoiding a smash.

Things will improve if/when the drifing community gets an "older" average age and treats other with the same respeect they want people to treat them with. In the end of the day life boils down to this simple sentence.

Act like a stupid C*** and people will treat you like one.
Woz, the board/ski analogy is spot on :up: And look what's happened now: boarding's so mainstream skiers are now doing boarder stuff like grinding rails and riding half pipes It's all the same snow, people can do what they like on it

Not that I ever expect to see a drift/race hybrid sport, but it just illustrates the teething problems and eventual "levelling out" that a lot of sports go through. I'm sure a lot of BMX'ers got the shits when guys started riding MTBs at dirt jumps (I did ) but now MTBs practically outnumber BMXs (sure do in my house) - however MTBs are still outlaws at skate bowls (which is correct) That also brings up the time, many years ago now, when guys started riding BMXs at skate ramps and got in fights; the time when bladers started invading skate ramps and got picked by both skaters and BMX'ers (good ); the time when body-boarders started hitting the good breaks and pissing off "real" surfers - I could go on ...

You often get a new sub-set of players bringing a new angle into an established sport. There's always a bit of friction because there's an element of the new "tribe" that feels entitled to just act however they want with no respect for and sometimes no real knowledge of what already exists. Mix that with the small element of the existing tribe who are suspicious of the newbs (and may even fear the demise of their own thing) and you'll always have some headbutting.

Drifting and racing doesn't have to be like that though. The equipment & arenas may be the same but the goals are completely different. Despite that, you do get the old-schooler suspicion and the newb upstart mentality anyway. But drifting will never replace racing. I don't even think it'll ever reach anything like the same level of popularity so racers needn't worry. But some drifters need to settle down too: you're not being persecuted, either in LFS or IRL. It's just that LFS is focused on racing and that's a simple, inescapable fact. People around here (not surprisingly, most of the LFS community are racers) just get a little over it when they see yet another "what's with the hate?" thread started by a drifter or another "give us drift stuff" thread in the improvements section. Generally, people aren't saying "don't drift", people are saying "LFS's physics are good enough to enable you to drift realistically, so go drift your brains out - just don't expect anything more than that because that's not what the game's about".
Maybe someone talented at programming should make a proper drifting simulator, where the emphasis is on adding drifting related items, sensible 'scoring', provision for online competitions... In short, make LFS For Drifters. Same basic premise, but with a different ultimate goal.
i see everybody againts me.The problem is not with the drifting,its with the young players attitude right? Everybody was young,what u gonna do about it? nobody hates Team TZ or Dk for example,coz they are grown up.
Quote :i see everybody againts me.The problem is not with the drifting,its with the young players attitude right? Everybody was young,what u gonna do about it? nobody hates Team TZ or Dk for example,coz they are grown up.

What does this got to do with? anyway, it's true , most drift fans are arrogant, stupid kids who tease you up bothering and even wrecking, going against rules, changing tracks, cars, not obeying, etc. I've been on really good drifting servers, ppl there is really nice and all, give you sets and even advices on your drifting, ask for twins and say nothing when mistakes occur. You say that we were all young, I'm fairly young (16) and I'm not F***ing everybodies playtime. I started as a drifter in LFS, and now I'm on a Racing Team I'm not the best, sure, but I'm looking fordward into standing on the podium with my team mate (who is like an alien :tilt
Quote from Racer556 :What does this got to do with? anyway, it's true , most drift fans are arrogant, stupid kids who tease you up bothering and even wrecking, going against rules, changing tracks, cars, not obeying, etc.

I'm a bit ashamed to say that's the reality. I noticed a few new servers appearing lately online with only kids doing autocross with LFS Lapper and saying they are drift kings. This is probably the reason why most racers do not like drifters.

Quote from Racer556 :I've been on really good drifting servers, ppl there is really nice and all, give you sets and even advices on your drifting, ask for twins and say nothing when mistakes occur.

Team Orange server is obviously part of the kind of servers stated upper. They try to keep it as clean and as professionnal as possible by using strict rules and forced cockpit view. Nothing against that. And I'm always pleased to share my set and help a person I know it worths helping. So kids online are just ****tards trying to get your setup and they think they will get better with it... So false...

Quote from Racer556 :You say that we were all young, I'm fairly young (16) and I'm not F***ing everybodies playtime. I started as a drifter in LFS, and now I'm on a Racing Team

Happens sometimes. I'm a drifter but I still enjoy having a good time on racing servers. I was in a lot of drift teams but a few racing teams too. Also, so peoples can deal with being in a race team and a drift team, let's think of Jack McIntyre who was in Drift Factory and Fusion Racing, or Foqs who's in Dori Stars and Fusion... They can deal with racing and drifting nicely and it's always fun to see some peoples like this.

What I don't like though from a good part of the 'newcoming' drifters in their 'Tokyo Drift Style' attitude. They all act like racing is shit and drifting the schnizit.. I was like this at first, but I learned you better stay quiet at racers, because they are the majority of the Live For Speed community. See? I'm totally peace-and-love at racing, but I'm still an hardcore drifter. I wish we we're all like this..
As I said, Drifting is just another strategy in racing, it's not much different. Some people choose to use it primarily, others only use it in worst-case scenarios

-or crash.

It's not a culture.

You can't reference a set of people and their mindsets to a strategy. Within the community, there are idiots, there are bigger idiots, and there are somewhat mature.

Chances are, I am one of the bigger idiots, but at least I know that drifting and racing are not seperated. The only reason people associate drifting with idiocy is because of a recent set of movies, along with primarily demo racers coming new to the scene, and obviously they see the community in a different light. Perhaps if someone wished to start a more active racing scene on demo, then perhaps we would see more members of the community sharing a mindset alike those who don't hold a grudge against a set of people because of their experiences.

*Shrug*
I'm afraid drifting makes no sense to me at all, but some people seem to like it.

As with many things (homosexuality, ballroom dancing, Coronation Street, tattoos, rugby) each to their own, but not for me thanks.
Well recently my friend has set a new laptime on some track with a BF1, and i would class my self (most dominantley) as a drifter, he said to me, "give it a try"..

I tried, and managed to make a full lap around, being close to spinning about 5 times, and being overtaken by all the good racers, I got 1:25.43 or something. Which was about 30 seconds off of his time.

Racing is hard, and so is drifting, but it takes time to perfect both styles of driving and thats just what some people dont realise (especcially the 7oky0 d12if77 l33t n00bz.)
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :As I said, Drifting is just another strategy in racing, it's not much different. Some people choose to use it primarily, others only use it in worst-case scenarios...or crash...

In the context of this discussion that's 100% wrong. The kind of drift this thread is about is not a strategy used in any kind of racing that LFS features. The kind of drift being discussed here, in this thread, is the tail-out, points-for-style kind of competition drift that goes on at lots of LFS servers, which is utterly useless in races both for corner entry/exit speed and tyre conservation, is unsafe when racing in a pack and is likely to get you kicked from a race server. If you were to use show-drift as a race strategy your rear tyres would be liquid halfway through a 5-lap race anyway.

We have to be clear which kind of drift we're talking about here to avoid confusion. The only kind of drift that's useful in a tarmac race is four-wheel drift, which is far removed from the drift you see in LFS drift servers and often barely noticeable. It's not useful at all in a high-downforce, slickshod car like a GTR or open-wheeler and only semi-useful in a low-grip RWD road car like an LX, XRG/T or FZ.
#37 - Woz
yep, show drifting shares nothing in common with getting a few degrees into slip around a corner because you are still at peek grip at that point.

Show drifting, which we are talking about here, is about sideways action and lots of smoke. The ONLY time you will see smoke on a race track is if someone makes a mistake or if an engine blows.
Quote from Hankstar :We have to be clear which kind of drift we're talking about here to avoid confusion. The only kind of drift that's useful in a tarmac race is four-wheel drift, which is far removed from the drift you see in LFS drift servers and often barely noticeable. It's not useful at all in a high-downforce, slickshod car like a GTR or open-wheeler and only semi-useful in a low-grip RWD road car like an LX, XRG/T or FZ.

In the LX's and XFG I have occassionally used a big show drift to slow down when I have fallen asleep at the wheel and missed my braking point by 50m so it can be useful lol but not a move I'd put in a text book or anything like that
#39 - aoun
I hope this sums up the hole drifting not racing thing..

Definitions:

Motor:
a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

Racing:
to run a race against; try to beat in a contest of speed (btw, speed is not used as speed of the person, more speed of how long it takes to finnish)

Sport:
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

So if you got a brain, you should know what drifting is, if not..

Drifting IS a form of Motor SPORT. But Drifting IS NOT Motor RACING!

Why? I say because it has the use of Motors in it, and it is a activity that has rules and is engaged competitively, but its not a race.

This is all IMO.
Ok, let's have some ice/snow and mud and gravel in LFS. That way you can drift AND race at the same time. World peace!

(No really, I'd absolutely love some loose surface...)
Quote from yoyoML :Ok, let's have some ice/snow and mud and gravel in LFS. That way you can drift AND race at the same time. World peace!

(No really, I'd absolutely love some loose surface...)

Rallycross...
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Rallycross...

Too little of that in LFS. Besides, the mud isn't really "loose" in LFS IIRC.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :

As with many things (homosexuality, ballroom dancing, Coronation Street, tattoos, rugby) each to their own, but not for me thanks.

Incest is where I draw the line... but then again, we're not a very pretty family...
ew
moving on...
I'm primarily drifting, but I do like to race now and again. It definitely makes by heart beat a lot harder when I'm actually trying to win! I find the drifting sub-community to be smaller and closer than that of the racers, which I really like. On another note, LFS is all about competition and I'm sure most people are aware of serious drift competitions such as the D1 grand prix. It is (imo) equally as competitive as racing. Again let me reiterate that I have nothing against racing or racers, unless they belittle drifting on LFS and the people that drift for fun here.
The truth is out. Drifting leads to incest.
*races away knowing drifters are slow drivers*

But seriously, maybe we can have an event of "hardcore" racers and drifters and each show how good they are at the other thing. A race for drifters and LFS lapper powered server where it counts drifting points over the entire lap. Then we'll see how much worse each is at the other thing.
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :As I said, Drifting is just another strategy in racing, it's not much different. Some people choose to use it primarily, others only use it in worst-case scenarios

-or crash.

It's not a culture.

You can't reference a set of people and their mindsets to a strategy. Within the community, there are idiots, there are bigger idiots, and there are somewhat mature.

Chances are, I am one of the bigger idiots, but at least I know that drifting and racing are not seperated. The only reason people associate drifting with idiocy is because of a recent set of movies, along with primarily demo racers coming new to the scene, and obviously they see the community in a different light. Perhaps if someone wished to start a more active racing scene on demo, then perhaps we would see more members of the community sharing a mindset alike those who don't hold a grudge against a set of people because of their experiences.

*Shrug*

Blimey - I thought I was blinkered when it came to drifting, but you my friend are downright ignorant. I cannot believe anyone connected with motorsport (even just via a racing game) could think this. In fact, I can't think of a single post in recent times that has made the poster look quite so stupid.
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :As I said, Drifting is just another strategy in racing, it's not much different. Some people choose to use it primarily, others only use it in worst-case scenarios

-or crash.

It's not a culture.

*Shrug*

Drifting and racing are seperated, theres no other way to think about it. The key to achieving excellent drifting is to drift at high speed, big angle, correct line, smoothness of it and the technique used to initiate it. Racing is about focusing on going round a track in the fastest way possible, compromising it for race purposes to maintain a similair speed, pit strategy, being calculative of the situation you've been presented with (example: the driver ahead is 18 seconds ahead, 20 laps left, gain 18 seconds on the driver ahead in 12 laps so I have to go 1.5 seconds faster per lap so that I can spend the last 8 laps attempting to pass him) then comes in race craft where, as an example of it, you have to see where you're going much faster than the driver in front at which point on the track and take advantage of it to overtake him there.

So clearly, very different goals. True, there are drivers who are rough, and always do small corrections when exiting a corner like myself but I wouldn't define it as drifting because the aim is still the same, to set the fastest time possible, not the coolest drift possible.
Drifting is not racing. There might be drifting competitions but thats not same as racing.
exactly but they are equally competitive in their respective sports.
I get the impression some people dislike drifters because the small minority are small children who spam and think they're the best at doriftzorzlol. The rest, don't like them because no one else likes them. Remember the kid at school sat in the corner, no one liked them because they were afraid that if they did like them and go talk to them, the person themselves would become someone with no friends.

Its all about fitting in with the crowd for some people. I don't mind drifters, the main groups that I know are all sorted guys, great fun (most of them are bloody quick in a straight line too) but its just that percentage that lets the whole scene down. They need to grow up, to be honest.
This thread is closed

"Drift Resistance" What is with this?
(130 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG