The online racing simulator
#26 - Jakg
Your MIP Bias (or is it AF?) doesn't look quite right (ie i think a MIP Bias of 0 looks best) - this is most apparent on the kerbs.

Quick comparison shot, although you can ignore the FPS as i'm running 4xAA (i think) rather than the 16x your probably running at, and i'm running at a higher res.

EDIT - Stupid me, your running the same resolution as me - slaps head!
Attached images
Grabby1.jpg
ok, ill change it to 0 , i love my new card its like, never below 120fps on full grid with full AA and stuff lol
which card you running? and is a higher AA and AF better?
#28 - Jakg
Higher AA is better, AA smoths out the "jagged edges", Higher AF is better and makes everything look less... blurry as it's far away.

7950GT here, however not only is half the speed you also get "Convergence AA" on an 8800 which is supposed to be a much better Quality AA.

EDIT - I just checked nHancer, and it appears i have NO LFS profile, and that no AA is being forced. How LFS has any AA is beyond me... *goes off and tinkers with drivers*
lol your funny.
Quote from harjun :....never below 120fps on full grid with full AA and stuff....

Quote from harjun :...with full settings on full grid, LFS is at 80fps....

How did you get a 40fps improvement?
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :How did you get a 40fps improvement?

Why are you quizzing him on everything he says? Just let him be if you don't like him, don't make a name for yourself quoting and investigating everything he says.
Quote from mcintyrej :Why are you quizzing him on everything he says? Just let him be if you don't like him, don't make a name for yourself quoting and investigating everything he says.

im not quizzing him, i was asking him because i run nvidia too, so was wondering whether there was anything i could do to get even more performance from my machine. (apart from o/c'ing)
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :im not quizzing him, i was asking him because i run nvidia too, so was wondering whether there was anything i could do to get even more performance from my machine. (apart from o/c'ing)

No...you were just blatantly obvious, and why should you listen to me, i can't be bothered to "open a murder case" and find a bit of evidence and quote it, but plenty of times, you've said, don't listen to harjun, hes stupid, etc. etc....just
Quote from harjun :No...you were just blatantly obvious, and why should you listen to me, i can't be bothered to "open a murder case" and find a bit of evidence and quote it, but plenty of times, you've said, don't listen to harjun, hes stupid, etc. etc....just

Completely wrong there mate.

I wanted to know how you got such a boost in performance. I was thinking drivers, but i've never got THAT much from a driver update.
So therefore, i was curious what it was and yes, my PC's very fast, but im always looking for ways to make it faster. But fine, i asked for help, you dont wanna offer it, fine.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Completely wrong there mate.

I wanted to know how you got such a boost in performance. I was thinking drivers, but i've never got THAT much from a driver update.
So therefore, i was curious what it was and yes, my PC's very fast, but im always looking for ways to make it faster. But fine, i asked for help, you dont wanna offer it, fine.

lol. don't gimme all of that innocent litttle face......why do you need an increase from your 2 8800GTX Black Pearls SLI? you should be getting about...250fps easy....or unless you were lying that day, and don't whatever you do, call me mate.
Quote from harjun :lol. don't gimme all of that innocent litttle face......why do you need an increase from your 2 8800GTX Black Pearls SLI? you should be getting about...250fps easy....or unless you were lying that day, and don't whatever you do, call me mate.

Im not gonna argue with you know more harjun. I just asked a question.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Im not gonna argue with you know more harjun. I just asked a question.

no you didn't, you just tried to start on me....and you kjnow that you download drivers, because you've suggested it many times on here before
Oh FFS Nathan just shut up, yes Harjun can be an annoying arrogant idiot at times but just winding him up isn't going to help.
I once had a ATi AGP 9800 128MB pro (20-50fps) it was okay.

I bought an AGP ATi X1950 256MB pro to get a half decent frame rate and barely noticed any improvement at all. oh........ wait thats not right...... I GAINED bout 10 degrees heat on my mobo/cpu. Woot woot, got 40fps with 8 AI's Goes without saying I was stoked.

PC is not the problem: Intel Dual Core 3Ghz only runs at 60%. 1Gig DDR Ram Not a lame PC, just average.

I really need to test this Piece of **** card with a fresh install of Windows and 3dMark. But I haven't had the time. In the meantime the warranty gets closer to running out. If it was a burger the store-owner would be wearing it.

Is everything made so cheap ass these days or am I just unlucky. I'm lucky to have a DVD player last longer than 12 months. My LCD was the 4th one from the store before I got one without a dead pixel. QualAss products??? More like LameAss products. I've had IceCream cones last longer than some of the modern sh_t you buy these days that is supposed to be good. I remember the days when a CD ROM drive lasted longer than 5 years. What happened?
[/cry]

BTW: thanks for that post BruTaLysT, it helped me understand some things. I should read more of your posts.
#41 - Jakg
Just in case you don't know, LFS only uses one core, and as such if you look at the CPU usage you'll see that full load on one core is only 50% load - 60% load would be LFS eating a whole CPU core, whie some other junk at 20% of the other core.
Yep, I know LFS is only Dual Core, but got one hoping the extra core would ease the load. It seems that both cores eat up alot playing LFS.

Now things really gone whacked. But I had this before, it was a driver related issue.

Those temps are normal when Im running LFS.
This POS card cooks, I wish I'd bought something else.

/me goes off to re-install drivers.... AGAIN!
Nothing but trouble with this card. It was the supposed to be the best AGP Card in the shop when I bought it 6 months ago. Bad design I think is designing something that directs hot air towards the motherboard.
Attached images
AA2.jpg
AA0.jpg
60c on idle??...whoa, you need to be looking at a new cooler, heatsink.
It was still cooling down after flying off the hook on LFS crash. See the first piture.. before the crash and the second pic is 3 seconds afterwards. I re-installed the drivers and the graphics "blocks" disappeared, but the card still cooks my Mobo/CPU. THe actual temp of the GPU is said to be around 43 Degrees C (IIRC) in the ATI tools.

The computer is practically new, couple months old. It cools back down to 52 Deg C within a minute after the graphics card shuts down.

It actually runs cooler on LFS using the good old 9800 Radeon. It cooks when I use this X1950 with its badly designed cooling vents. I've just finally got a new Install of Windows and 2 new identical RAM sticks, a newer bigger HDD and and New PSU so I'm going to 3d-mark this thing and maybe send it to the rubbish. Not bad... 2 months use out of a brand new piece of equipment.. not bad for this day-and-age. You would think an ATI X1950 Pro could handle LFS aye?

Thanks for letting me vent here.

edit: Ok, re-installed Windows XP with a later version. I had Direct 9b before,(you can't overwrite it), now I have 9c and FPS has shot up like 20 FPS at places it droped to 40 FPS, and I can use higher AA/AF. Still high temps, so I must get something to cool this down.
Quote from Jakg :Higher AA is better, AA smoths out the "jagged edges", Higher AF is better and makes everything look less... blurry as it's far away.

7950GT here, however not only is half the speed you also get "Convergence AA" on an 8800 which is supposed to be a much better Quality AA.

EDIT - I just checked nHancer, and it appears i have NO LFS profile, and that no AA is being forced. How LFS has any AA is beyond me... *goes off and tinkers with drivers*

Try changing the LOD settings in graphics..If you look in your mirrors the higher it is the more lines you see messed up but if you change it to 0 it looks pretty good.
JasonJ: Newer card require more power and obviously generate alot more heat, so it's not just about bad cooling. Is your case cooling sufficient for all the heat being generated because even the best GPU cooler is useless if it's just blowing hot air.

Also, have you checked if your card's fan speed control is working. I'm using x1950pro aswell and at idle temp the fan operates at 20/100% speed but speed increases automatically depending on GPU temperature and for me it stays under 60'C.(..while making much less noise than GF 6800GS)

But I have to admit that graphics card takes the award for hottest component for me even during idle:

GPU: 48'C
CPU: 37,5'C (A64300+@2,4Ghz)
Case: 32'C
Thanks for the reply.

Idle
GPU 38'C
CPU 53'C

Runing LFS
GPU 43'C
CPU 65'C

I have lots of negative case pressure, small front fan, large rear fan and insterted an old tiny GPU fan on the northbridge heatsink to keep it at least semi-conscious. After a month I had huge amounts of dust built up on the side duct entry mesh telling me that heaps of fresh air is going directly to the CPU. I have already flattened all the cables and wires so they are practically part of the case so maximum air can get past the mobo area.

I can't see where the GPU fan speed is displayed. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Card seems cool when running LFS at 43'C, it seems to direct its heat to everything else. It blows hot air directly on to the mobo and everything starts to cook. I wish I had bought one that took the hot air out the back of the case through the PCI slot covers. This particular card model is BAD design IMHO.

I've got some ArticSilver arriving in a day so I will reset my CPU heat sink. Something aint right. I realise it's very hard to diagnose PC problems via forums so I'm not expecting an answer/solution. Just me ranting.
good job, also, do you have the stock cooler? in so, i would probably recommend getting an Arctic Freezer 7 if your AS5 doesn't work
Quote from Jakg :Just in case you don't know, LFS only uses one core, and as such if you look at the CPU usage you'll see that full load on one core is only 50% load - 60% load would be LFS eating a whole CPU core, whie some other junk at 20% of the other core.

Jakg, 50+20 = 70, not 60
#50 - Jakg
20% of one core = 10% load across both cores.

You think i didn't think of that, foo?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG