The online racing simulator
Use only card in secondary PIC slot?
(5 posts, started )
If only because I'm a neat freak, I'm trying to order the PCI cards in my desktop in a logical order, and it turns out that my graphics card ends up being at the bottom (theoretically). Unfortunately, that's only if I install it in the second PCI-E slot on my mobo (not the primary.) It's a mess to actually test out, so I was wondering if someone knew if it was possible to run your graphics card out of the secondary slot?

My friend told me the only result would be a slightly slower frame rate since it has to channel the data a bit further out of the way, which makes sense. Is there any other reason why it wouldn't work? I've got an Asus Crosshair mobo if that matters...

*Whoopse, sorry about the terribly confusing thread title... lol - I'm a bit tired...*
#2 - Jakg
Quote from Stang70Fastback :If only because I'm a neat freak, I'm trying to order the PCI cards in my desktop in a logical order, and it turns out that my graphics card ends up being at the bottom (theoretically). Unfortunately, that's only if I install it in the second PCI-E slot on my mobo (not the primary.) It's a mess to actually test out, so I was wondering if someone knew if it was possible to run your graphics card out of the secondary slot?

My friend told me the only result would be a slightly slower frame rate since it has to channel the data a bit further out of the way, which makes sense. Is there any other reason why it wouldn't work? I've got an Asus Crosshair mobo if that matters...

*Whoopse, sorry about the terribly confusing thread title... lol - I'm a bit tired...*

The data has to go further?

Provided both slots are the same speed (which i'm 90% sure they are on the ASUS Crosshair) it won't make any difference at all.
They are both 16x

He just said that the primary slot is put first in the "loop" and that if you use the secondary slot, it makes the data travel further on the board than the primary slot... no idea if what he said was true, but it makes sense (tho I doubt it makes much of a difference...)
#4 - garph
I have my card in the lower of the 2 pci-e slots for better air flow and cooling, makes no difference at all.
Alright, sounds good. I'll do that then next time I get a chance. Thanks for your help!

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG