The online racing simulator
Bass players help pls
(78 posts, started )
Did you end up doing the neck yourself, or buy a pre-built off warmoth or similar?
~Bryan~
That was a cheap replacement neck off ebay. the whole guitar ended up costing me about £85 and 5 days work.
I need a bit more woodworking practive first before I attempt a homemade neck.
That's a real nice bass
You've made a few really nice guitars that you've shown pictures of.
I was looking at other threads in this section and had an idea...
Have you thought of making an "axe" for Guitar Hero? I'm serious.
They play that game all over the place. About 5-6 guys play it at work. well after work. They'll spend half the night drinking beer and trying to match buttons to Guns N Roses. Ehhh... maybe the game is probably a fad and by the time someone could make decent guitar controllers for it, the mainstream will have moved on to something else
I don't think it would be worth it, honestly. The controllers are just molded plastic with buttons on it. Making one out of wood wouldn't give you better 'feel' because its all cheap anyways. I can't even get over the whole craze, it's cheaper to pickup a knock-off acoustic and learn tunes on that, rather then spend over $100 for the game (another few hundred on the system if you want to think that way)

So Al, about this jam?
~Bryan~
..working on it, just got going with a new band, 25 new songs to learn, been overseas on business a bit recently too. I'll dig out my multitrack and lay down a funky rock groove as soon as I can....
Ahhh intence. Mind if I throw up some 'updated' stuff here? It's not much..
~Bryan~
Go for it, Bryan!
Throw it up Dropster, let's share the love
http://hippster.dmusic.com/mus ... 0534/.9c0c6292/stream.m3u
There's a rough improv that I came back to (added compression, some equalization, a touch of reverb, and panned the channels) It sounds really natural, and was meant to show off a 'direct' tone of my guitar. Mind you that was done *guitar*>*computer* so theres no pre-amp or modulation...
~Bryan~
Here's a fretless bass project that I finally managed to get finished this weekend.
Attached images
CIMG1604.JPG
Woah, so many bassists here.

I'm one as well. I currently use a Yamaha BB614 but will probably get something better soon. It does sound pretty good with the proper EQ.

Awesome looking bass, btw.
Nice, I love a good fretless :up:
Care to list your favourite bass players, anyone?
That's kind of dumb, there are thousands of bassists that people favor. ;/

Of the top of my head, some of the most famous guys:

Jaco Pastorious, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, Louis Johnson, Mark King, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Rocco Prestia, Steve DiGiorgio, Tony Choy, John Myung and I can go on and on. ;/
Quote from al heeley :Here's a fretless bass project that I finally managed to get finished this weekend.

Is that an old Bass Collection bass? I haven't seen one of those in years!

Quote from Hankstar :Care to list your favourite bass players, anyone?

A few that don't get a mention often enough: Norwood Fisher (Fishbone, Trulio Disgracias), Sir Horace Gentleman (Specials), Leonard Hubbard (Roots), Stuart Zender (Jamiroquai, Mark Ronson), Nathan Watts (Stevie Wonder), Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Andy Rourke (Smiths), Bruce Thomas (Attractions), Ernie McKone (Galliano), etc.
Quote from BullHorn :That's kind of dumb...

Yet you responded anyway

I figured I'd see the usual suspects like Jaco (the silver surfer of bass playing), Myung (loads of fingers, not enough taste ), Prestia (nasty funk god, love those ghost notes), Wooten (alien!), Miller (lord). Nice to see some others though Kev, Zender and Fisher are frequently & unfairly underrated :up:

To my list, I'd add Les Claypool from Primus. Old school now, but in the early-mid 90s a real pioneer and re-definer of funk playing. A little-known (outside of bassist circles) player called John Patitucci also comes to mind. Hearing that guy rock Bach is pretty mindblowing! One of the most ridiculously awesome but ninja-secret bass players I can think of is Trevor Dunn from Mr Bungle. Standup, electric, fretless or fretted, the dude just kills. Check his lines in "None of them knew they were robots" from California, his solo on "Platypus" from the album Disco Volante, or just the uber-bassline from "Dead Goon" from the self-titled Bungle album. Classic, tasty, clever stuff. Bungle's long dead now, but Trevor still makes a living with Secret Chiefs 3 as well as propping up several dozen Euro jazz bands
Quote from thisnameistaken :Is that an old Bass Collection bass? I haven't seen one of those in years!

Very well spotted! I stripped the body down to bare wood - the wood was pretty naff so I sanded it smooth and gave it a different finish, a mottled black that has come out looking a bit like distressed leather.
Different pickups from another old bass and a reshaped headstock. New pots all round completes the job.
Quote from Hankstar :Yet you responded anyway

I'm kind of dumb too, couldn't resist. Les Claypool was supposed to be on my list, he just wasn't on the top of my head at that moment. He's pretty bloody good.
Quote from dropin_biking :VICTOR WOOTEN PWNS YOUR SOUL http://youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U

As much as I admire Vic Wooten - and he's still the only guy I've seen play bass up a unicycle - I think his advanced slapping stuff sounds bloody awful. It might be fast and all, but what's the point when it sounds like that?
Once you get away from the 'technical masturbation' thing, you realise it's the space you leave in between the notes that produces more of the musical feel and skill
Al: Was that a fretless when you bought it or have you fitted a new fingerboard?
The neck is off an old fretless, its a refurb job, body conditioning, new engine and full valet.
I enjoy Victor for his slower pieces, where he shows off his creativity, and masterful flexability. His crazy slaping and popping at insane speeds is great talent, of course, but it just doesn't seem to have any emotion behind it.
~Bryan~
Starting to get stuff together for a new project - neck-thru bass with a mix of maple and walnut neck/core, jazz bass pup config, blend pot to mix the pickup outputs. If I can find a decent pre-slotted fretboard blank then this will be the first guitar project attepted with a home-built neck. Here's the plan so far:
Attached images
g4plan.jpg
Quote from al heeley :Here's the plan so far:

32" scale? That'll be weedy and rattly and rubbish like the Stu Hamm signature, won't it? I knew a guy who had one of those and it was awful, felt like a toy bass.

Also, it doesn't look like you've got a pickup under the 36th fret harmonic. Every bass needs a pickup there!

Bass players help pls
(78 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG