The online racing simulator
Another visitor, stay a while...stay forever.
Anyone remember that quote from the C64 game 'Impossible mission' ?

Pretty much sums up LFS for me

I thought I'd write this post to put some things that have been said recently about the development of LFS into perspective.
I remember a time before LFS when every racing game I played, although fun to play at the time i.e Night driver (Atari 2600) and almost every other racing game since (believe me I must have tried hundreds on many platforms across the decades) I soon got bored and moved on to find the next best thing.

Then one day about 3 years ago I was browsing Internet sites looking for 'The next big thing' when I found a small demo called Live for Speed. At the time I was playing GP4 and thought that was excellent, especially when linked up to another PC and I could race with my mates. So anyway I downloaded Live for Speed and thought I'd give it a go. I must admit though, I was not expecting anything special and like some other demos around at the time, I did not expect it to stay on my hard drive for more than ten minutes or so..............THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO!!!! JESUS H CHRIST!!

Let me say this, NOTHING before or since has gripped me in the way that Live for Speed has. I Still try every other sim/arcade racing game out there but in my heart of hearts I know they will be unistalled within a matter of either minutes or sometimes days. rFactor (deleted), GTR (deleted), GT legends (I gave it a month), NS2003 (stayed on my HD for about a year but didnt play that much), the list goes on.

I remember when S1 came out being overwhelmed by the amount of new cars and track combinations, some of which I still havent tried. When S2 was announced I remember thinking "I'm loving S1 so much that I hope I wont be disappointed by the new physics and car changes". I loved the simplicity (menu screens etc.) and the way everything worked and was afraid that all this would change for the worse. Sometimes change is not a good thing. Thankfully, I was wrong. S2 alpha was better than I could ever have imagined.

Anyway, back to my point. When people talk about the cost of a game they fail to realise that with the majority of games out there, there is a limit to the amount of time you play that game before the boredom factor sets in. OK, I'm not an avid game fan and do get bored with games quite easily, FPS are so samey these days as an example. So what do you do? You put the game on the shelf and go out and buy a new game. Within a year you may have spent in excess of £100 on new games. Live for Speed has cost £24 for 3 years of gaming. ABSOLUTE BARGAIN I say. In fact I suggested a while back having some sort of donation fund set up to support the developers (I mean, come on, Scawen deserves to be RICH and could surely get someone to do his kitchen for him. Make no mistake, he is a genius in my eyes). Someone suggested I just buy more licenses but I dont like that idea as it would give a false representation of the number of racers. I am going to pursue this idea further I think as I really want to support the developers more than I have so far. I mean, If you can afford to (for those who are fortunate enough) why not donate a few £'s,$'s, Euros every month or so. I am not suggesting this as a given, just as a voluntary thing.

Ok so the game is not finished, but who cares when you are having this much fun with what we have already got and have had for more than 3 years. I honestly thought the release of S2 was too soon as I was just getting used to the subtleties of S1. Now we've got S2 (and I'm glad), i bet most people have not even raced half of the car/track combinations, especially online, I know I havent. And yet they want more illepall.

So to end I just want to point out to all those who want updates/patches, that If you go out there and join a few races and get better at driving and most importantly become a better racer you will/should enjoy/relish what we have already got.

To the LFS team.

Please, Please, Please continue the development the way you wish and do not be pressured in any way, shape or form in what some people may say about your game. This is a work of absolute genius and has brought more pleasure than you'll ever know to mine and many other peoples lives (and no I'm not licking arse here, I am telling it how it is). Your philosophy in my mind is the way it should be and I feel it is the way forward for niche games like simulations. It is up to us, the community, to ensure that our support enables you to continue to develop without distraction and financial pressure. We will, I am sure do that . It has taken 25 years getting there, but I know I'm there with LFS. Thank-you

To the racing community.

You know what I mean when I say this game/sim feels RIGHT. I'm no good at engineering and computer physics models, but I know this, I have played them all, Only a few come close, but Live for Speed just feels......RIGHT

So lets saviour a moment in gaming History and go out there and have great races.

As quoted in the subject title, Once you arrive and play a while, you WILL stay FOREVER

Happy, Race fuelled New Year

Oh, 1 more thing, a question/idea perhaps to the devs. Is this do-able?
A virtual Pit Engineer.
Can a setup system be made whereby a driver goes around a track a few laps, pits and gets prompted by a series of tick boxes or something e.g. Too much brakes, too much over/under steer, you know that kind of thing, like a wizard or something. If the car could be analyzed while it is going round the track, then perhaps the 'pit engineer' may suggest higher/lowering, stiffening/softening the suspension etc.. The reason is this, even though I have been racing for several years, I still dont really understand how some of the settings affect the car. I suppose I know them in principle, but as said earlier, I am no engineer and would prefer to have a virtual engineer do all that work for me. At the moment I rely on setups from other drivers but cannot be sure if that particular setup is suited to my style of driving. I do alter some things, like brakes and downforce but know I am only scratching the surface when it comes to the more complex stuff like camber settings and slip diff. etc.. I'm waffling so I'll stop there. But can this kind of thing be done? Please dont think I am suggesting for one minute that it should be implemented or anything, just whether it could be done and whether you think it is a good idea or not.
#2 - Jakg
Quote from ferret :Can a setup system be made whereby a driver goes around a track a few laps, pits and gets prompted by a series of tick boxes or something e.g. Too much brakes, too much over/under steer, you know that kind of thing, like a wizard or something. If the car could be analyzed while it is going round the track, then perhaps the 'pit engineer' may suggest higher/lowering, stiffening/softening the suspension etc.. The reason is this, even though I have been racing for several years, I still dont really understand how some of the settings affect the car. I suppose I know them in principle, but as said earlier, I am no engineer and would prefer to have a virtual engineer do all that work for me. At the moment I rely on setups from other drivers but cannot be sure if that particular setup is suited to my style of driving. I do alter some things, like brakes and downforce but know I am only scratching the surface when it comes to the more complex stuff like camber settings and slip diff. etc.. I'm waffling so I'll stop there. But can this kind of thing be done? Please dont think I am suggesting for one minute that it should be implemented or anything, just whether it could be done and whether you think it is a good idea or not.

you could just read bobs setup guide, makes for interesting reading and can be carried over to other sims
Tried Bob's setup guide but, honestly, I just want to go out there and race, race, race. Can't be bothered with that Hotlapping and spending hours tweaking setups only to find you have made it worse somewhere illepall. Racing is too much fun that any time spent away from it is wasted time, which reminds me, I'm off to race as I have spent too much time already in this forum. Thanks for the advice though
#4 - Jakg
Quote from ferret :Tried Bob's setup guide but, honestly, I just want to go out there and race, race, race. Can't be bothered with that Hotlapping and spending hours tweaking setups only to find you have made it worse somewhere illepall. Racing is too much fun that any time spent away from it is wasted time, which reminds me, I'm off to race as I have spent too much time already in this forum. Thanks for the advice though

use bobs setups then!
Yes, I've been playing since about the same time... i saw it on BHMotorsports I believe, and DLed it... and LOVED it. I haven't posted on the forums much... being as how I'd never really liked forums (That is until I started posting in Hostile Intent's forums [FPS... google it]). I've even set out and did a championship of my own with pro-level AI across EVERY track, 10 laps per track. Very fun... took a couple of days in between social obligations. All around fun though, and I loved every minute of it. The only thing I dont like, is that online I keep getting run off the road, and spun around whilst going down straights... but other than that, I love playing online, and wish I had more time in my day to do so. Anyways, time to wrap this us, since I have nothing else really to say, except, GREAT SIM.
Great post! I couldn't agree more. I've been playing LFS for about the same amount of time. It's the only race sim where I've actually felt like im driving a real car (minus the g-forces ). I've spent so many countless hours playing LFS, and I'm still nowhere near being a "pro". You really do need to put it in a lot of practice to be decent at this game, much like real racing.

I've always thought online-play was far better than AI, and LFS is a perfect example. Real human players offer a level of skill and unpredictibility that AI just can't give you (not to mention most of the LFS racers are pretty cool people to chat with).
#7 - Wakey
Excellent post

I can also remember the hours and hours I put in on Impossible Mission........................another great game

ahhhh!.................. life was so simple then
#8 - ebola
Found this game when I installed Suse 9.0 a few years ago, never looked back since, best 24 squid I ever spent
#9 - Jakg
Quote from ebola :Found this game when I installed Suse 9.0 a few years ago, never looked back since, best 24 squid I ever spent

my friend uses suse linux 9.3, is there a way of running lfs on it?
I think the same. LFS has been on my HDD for 3 years also
and i even have a few CDRs with LFS stuff on them. The only other
game that comes close is GTA 3 and i haven't touched it since, well,
since i got hooked on LFS.
Quote from ferret :
Let me say this, NOTHING before or since has gripped me in the way that Live for Speed has. I Still try every other sim/arcade racing game out there but in my heart of hearts I know they will be unistalled within a matter of either minutes or sometimes days. rFactor (deleted), GTR (deleted), GT legends (I gave it a month), NS2003 (stayed on my HD for about a year but didnt play that much), the list goes on.

Anyway, back to my point. When people talk about the cost of a game they fail to realise that with the majority of games out there, there is a limit to the amount of time you play that game before the boredom factor sets in. OK, I'm not an avid game fan and do get bored with games quite easily, FPS are so samey these days as an example. So what do you do? You put the game on the shelf and go out and buy a new game. Within a year you may have spent in excess of £100 on new games. Live for Speed has cost £24 for 3 years of gaming. ABSOLUTE BARGAIN I say.

absolutely spot on IMO

i dont expect FPS games to last me long, im not saying they arent good or worth it, but it generally takes me only 2 weeks to complete any FPS game.

obviously if i played a FPS online, it might have a longer life, but i dont. it is far too mainstream for most normal folks to jump in and go without getting absolutely pasted.

i have always been a driving game fan, since Geoff Crammonds GP1. i started searching for a new driving game shortly after i found out EA were cutting support for NFS: Porsche 2000 which i used to play online. LFS filled that void.......and them some!

LFS totally blew away previous racing games, it didnt really have any silly arcade exploits you could cheat with like wall riding. i know there are bugs, but these are minor and temporary.

great post ferret, i think you summed up beautifully what most racers on here think, and what we feel like saying to those who continually moan or grip.

this thread, along with tim stelton's (on RSC) i think should be stickies!
Quote from Jakg :my friend uses suse linux 9.3, is there a way of running lfs on it?

Sorry Jakg it appears I was talking out of my rectum. Live for Speed is NOT on Suse 9.0. However, I did play the game RACER which IS on Suse 9.0. After playing this game I thought wow this is how cars actually handle and this inspired me to search for other Simulators and I stumbled across Live for Speed and the rest is history.

Sorry for wasting your time
The title of this post caught my eye, because I knew instantly where it came from (especially as I have been playing all my old favorites on CCS64 which is a C64 emulator for the PC and recently found a C64 emulator for the Pocket PC!). Anyway, I read the rest of the post and thought "did I write this post?" It is absolutely word for word what I think (apart from the fact that I have only been playing since November 2004 when I found the demo on a magazine CD).

Agree totally with everything you say - and I am not arse kissing either.

Thanks Devs,
Thanks Community,
Thanks LFS.
Not much to say really..
I just get a huge smile on my face, when i see that people that i even don't know, thinks EXACTLY like me..
It's like i wrote that first post..
ok .. time i posted my thoughts

when the first demo was released for s1 i was the first person to download it and it stayed on my pc for a while but i never seemed to play it.. i just couldnt get into it!! back then i spent much of my time playing F1 99-02 mods (f1 it self sucked) just the dtm mod was a classic. Then one day Bob Smith a good mate of mine popped round and played lfs... that was probably the first time i have really properly tried the game but i was still in love with my f1 lol.... Then when the full s1 was released Bob bought it and so did i but again i couldnt get into it. While Bob was becoming a master of the game i spent too much time playing dtm and other mods. It wasnt untill really s2 full was released i managed to get myself into lfs and now i wouldnt swap it for anything else. I do admit i was a GTR regular in spring but now i hardly touch that game. lfs has taken over the sim title on PC.... i just wish i had more time to play lfs but uni work is keeping me very busy...

i would also like to thank the devs for bringing us this great sim and i am very much looking forward to the future patches and releases for LFS.. so take ur time guys and lets make this the best sim in history!!!

mad!

i am GTR converteee
Quote from Madman_CZ :While Bob was becoming a master of the game...

HAHAHA!!!

The only thing I've never sussed out was why you managed to register 5 mins before me. Dammit!
I have to say "ditto" to everyone else's comments. I haven't been here for quite a year yet. I come from a long history of offline racing with Indycar Racing 2. I bought my first PC, a Pentium 75 mhz in 1995 and bought NFS original for it. Few weeks later, bought ICR2. I messed around with it until I bought my first wheel (Thrustmaster T2) in 96 and started running the seasons. I ran a few, then downloaded Nascar ovals for it. Nascar Racing 2 didn't run as good for me as ICR2, so I used ICR2 running Nascar seasons. I ran I think 8 36 race seasons off and on until Nov 2004 when I got a new/old PC handed down, a Celeron 667. Now I was able to run NR2002 (2003 didn't run as well for me) and ran a season and a half of 36 races. The geek in me actually has all the stats from my ICR2 and Nascar offline seasons in a MS Access database, complete with points, total career stats, etc. I had tried Racer a few times, and didn't like it much back then. Feb of 2005, I was browsing BHMotorsports for something like Racer. I didn't want an actual race game, I was content with NR2002. Just wanted something to beat around a track with road cars. That's when I saw S1 and thought I'd give it a try. It was cool, not the greatest and though the cars were road cars, they weren't real. But I thought I'd go online for the first time and try. All history after that. I still didn't think it was the greatest and never purchased it, but was having a blast online. I'm not sure if I would have stayed much longer or gone back to NR2002, but then the S2 demo was released in April. With the new physics and graphics I was hooked. I'm a slow learner, but I was finally getting my GTi time around Blackwod close to 1:35's (back then, that was a good time). Even with the wrecker problems we had, I couldn't stop racing. Then CRC was reintroduced, I joined and started recognizing all the CRC members online. That's when the real fun started. Every night it was door to door racing at Blackwood with others that I knew wouldn't wreck me, push me off, plow into me, cause pileups in T1 for 15 restarts, the racing was absolutely fantastic. I don't know where those guys all went to, but thanks for the great racing back then. I remember JoeDaddy, Jack69, Cropsy (haven't seen you in quite some time :wave2: ), met Stoney the current director of CRC, he was the first to ever call me "fast", LOL. And many more. Finally after night after night, hour after hour, lap after lap, I was getting a little burnt out from racing. I bought MS Flight Simulator to give that one a go for a bit. 2 days later, they release full S2 in Alpha form! On the shelf goes MSFS and out comes my credit card. I definitely need to buy S2 after the great times I had with the S2 demo. That was 6 months ago, and recently I finally hung up my LFS racing every single night and tried out the flight sim. I toured the Pacific Islands online at www.wspilots.com, I'm half way through the Australia Outback tour, but I can't stay away for long. For a few weeks I flew MSFS, then I'd jump online and race a few nights, then fly a few nights. Had 2 weeks off for Christmas and figured I'd finish my flight tour of Australia, but I loaded LFS every night of the 2 weeks.

There's my story of 10 years of racing, and only 10 months of LFS. I still think NR2003 (now I can run 2003 with newer PC) is great for oval racing, but I haven't loaded it up since LFS entered. I haven't tried GTR, rFactor, GTL or any of the new ones out and don't want to. It's not the physics or the graphics that keep me at LFS. I think it is just the simplicity. There's no cars to unlock, no money to win, no upgrades to get, no storyline to follow, it's just join in and go race. Whether you like long races or short, it is so simple. I love jumping in the nightly 5 lappers and pounding out a few races in the evenings. I loved jumping on Sunday nights and running 20-25 lap league races and preparing all week for them. I love jumping back in the demo servers and finding the new guys racing the Turbo and jumping in the GTi and beating them, LOL. Maybe it's because LFS is the first I went online with, I don't know. Like I said, I still think NR2003 is great and it is still huge in the sim community, but it hasn't been loaded up since last February.

I am by far not the fastest out there. It's actually a bit embarrassing with how long I've been racing and how much I've been racing LFS, but I'm having a blast with it and I don't see me loosing interest in it at all for a very long time. I may jump out to fly around for a bit, or jump into my 05 Mustang or 70 Boss 429 Mustang to beat on them in Racer (trying it out again, this time jumping deeper in the ini files to make it feel right) but I'll always be racing LFS for the most part.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG