The online racing simulator
New Nissan GT-R
(40 posts, started )
Quote from squidhead :well...at least it's only a name of the legend put to shame

" Under the hood, GT-R features an all-new 3.8-litre twin turbo V6 “VR38” engine"
I doubt that the VR38 twin turbo will be so easily tuned like the RB26

Maybe not, but with a 3.8 twin turbo any mods you do make should see some impressive power gains!
Quote from squidhead :well...at least it's only a name of the legend put to shame

" Under the hood, GT-R features an all-new 3.8-litre twin turbo V6 “VR38” engine"
I doubt that the VR38 twin turbo will be so easily tuned like the RB26

Then again, with a 3.8 twin turbo V6 pushing 473 BHP..who is gonna NEED modifications? (note..I said NEED...not WANT!)
-
(simscube) DELETED by simscube
Bolting a slushbox to that engine would be a crime against humanity! Hope they do a proper 6-speed manual too though. Flappy paddles are all very well but some of us still like a nice H-pattern.

Quote :The all-new Nissan GT-R uses a Premium Midship package, an all-new platform which enables the use of the world’s first application of an independent transaxle 4WD system. The transaxle’s layout places the dual-clutch transmission, transfer case and final drive at the rear of the vehicle (instead of the usual front location), which enables vehicle weight to be evenly distributed throughout the car. This gives GT-R a superb front-to-rear weight balance, while enhancing leg and foot space and allowing for an optimal pedal layout.

Very nice indeed.
Did they ever do something about the styrofoam bumpers? If you bump something at less than 8kph, will it still total the car? Did they ever fix the bell housings to prevent dirt from getting in the clutch and burning it out? And if it does happen, will they deny it's covered in the warranty like they did me? No, I don't like Nissans.
Its an automatic, but uses a double-clutch system (think similar to the system VW built (even Clarkson liked it)). So it will shift completly between gears in 0.5 sec . Fast enough I think
Nice car. Reminds me of the JGTC 350Z from the front. Juicy specs too , 473 HP will certainly give the big boys, Ferrari and Porsche, a run for their money. Just need to wait to see how it handles.
Quote from Racer Y :Did they ever do something about the styrofoam bumpers?

Hey now, a fellow LFS'er makes those "styrofoam bumpers". Get rid of them and you loose me my job

PS. Styrofoam is a brand name. Polystyrene is the plastic foam. And auto "bumpers" are not polystyrene, but polypropylene. And, they are not bumpers, but energy absorbers. Just to clear that up a bit....

Oh yea, what the bumpers are made from has nothing to do with it. It's our government regulations that set the '3 mph impact with minimal damage' rule. It has in the last 2 or 3 years been reduced from 5 mph down to 3 mph. I have no idea what the regulations for car "bumpers" are in other countries.

The foam bead molded polypropylene energy absorbers are still a cheaper alternative to the auto companies than the injection molded honeycomb style absorber. So, you won't see the "styrofoam bumpers" disappear any time soon until they find yet another lighter alternative with the same absorption properties.
Quote from mrodgers :I have no idea what the regulations for car "bumpers" are in other countries.

Around here it's pretty standard: if it falls off you have to pick it up and you are allowed to use up to 6 feet of wire to keep it in place, anything more than that requires additional duct-taping.
Quote from Leprekaun :Just need to wait to see how it handles.

Seems to handle quite well - better than a Veyron around Nurby anyway, with a time of 7:38 (although everyone knows the Veryon wasn't built for corners): link

Credit to StableX for posting it here :up:
it looks like a child's toy. I think it just screams "I'm an a$$hole"
I'd take a corvette over that boy-racer toy any day.
Yup, the front is a 350Z, the cockpit is the Koenigsegg and the rear is the only bit that's still Skyline. I don't like it at all.
Here in Western Australia, Perth, The guy was the first in the world to win an event with a Production Model GT-R. It was Targa rally event.

15 Seconds infront of a Porsche GT2, and 20 seconds infront of a Lamborghini Superleggera.

Yeah, put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Quote from Klutch :Here in Western Australia, Perth, The guy was the first in the world to win an event with a Production Model GT-R. It was Targa rally event.

15 Seconds infront of a Porsche GT2, and 20 seconds infront of a Lamborghini Superleggera.

Yeah, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I bet mr. Schumacher could've won it with a 350Z too. Were the competing drivers any good? The car isn't the only factor in a race.
Quote from hrtburnout :I bet mr. Schumacher could've won it with a 350Z too. Were the competing drivers any good? The car isn't the only factor in a race.

The guy in the GT-R is the youngest person to ever win Targa West.

The guy in the GT2 is a proffesional V8 supercar driver.

Kevin Weeks has been racing in Targa rallys for some time and has always gotten good places.
I have a friend whose father bought a GTR a couple of weeks ago. I was over at the weekend and he took me for a ride. Riding around normally it town it felt like any other car (from the passenger seat at least, where I was...). With the suspension on comfort it felt similar in stiffness and damping to a 350Z. On a bumpier road you can easily notice the ride firming up with each step of stiffening the damping. For average riding around on the street I'd definitely leave it on comfort.

Cruising around, the gearshifts were in-perceptible apart from the change in rpm. The sound of the engine was not particularly inspiring at lower rpms. In fact, cruising around there was nothing particular exciting about the car at all, from the passenger seat. The only thing that really interested me was experiencing the performance. There are some cars that it's awesome just to be riding along in, regardless of whether we went quickly, but this wasn't one of them for me. Cruising around at lower speeds I'd have more fun in my Miata.

Once we found an open road he opened it up a bit. Didn't use the launch control unfortunately, but still took off and got us up to 220 or 230km/h. He was short shifting a bit, changing up at about 6000rpm (although I think peak power is only 6500ish), and also my two buddies were in the back seats weighing us down a bit. The acceleration was still impressive, but I wasn't blown away... I'm sure with just one person in a well broken in car, using the launch control it would be a different story. I guess it doesn't help that I'm used to riding motorbikes. After the acceleration run, he hit the brakes, and they were impressive. Most impressive thing about them though is that they're 15 inches on the front, same as an enzo, and an inch larger than the stock wheels that came on my miata, haha.

As for cornering... well unfortunately with the roads we were on, I didn't get much of a chance to experience what is undoubtably the most impressive part of this car. The acceleration alone, well to be honest there are many cars out there with similar performance... but I'm sure combining it's acceleration and braking with it's handling it would be a hugely impressive car.

Stepping out of it, I really got the feeling that if it didn't accelerate quickly and corner well and have all the tech stuff, it would not be much of a fun car. To me it's definitely the numbers that makes this car what it is. That's not to take anything away from what they've achieved, but it's definitely not a car I'd just sit and stare at in the drive way, or go for a drive in just to hear the sound, or just because it's such an awesome place to sit. I'd go for a drive in it just to use some of its performance, because that's its party piece.

One nice thing about this though... in this colour especially, it's not a cop magnet. If you want to ride around unnoticed and without making too much noise, you can.

New Nissan GT-R
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG