The online racing simulator
Which Graphics card?
(14 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
What's your CPU? What's your PSU? What size monitor do you have?

Personally i'd recommend the ATi 2900 Pro 512 MB over both of those.
Also, will something like an 8800 even fit in your case? Those things are pretty big. Also remember that LFS is a pretty CPU-dependant game, so unless your playing other games aswell I think an 8800GTS might be a bit too much. Although an 8800 would be futureproof, with things like DX10. Its a metter of opinion to whether you need that kind of power.
Quote from Jakg :What's your CPU? What's your PSU? What size monitor do you have?

Personally i'd recommend the ATi 2900 Pro 512 MB over both of those.

Jakq why do you always go for ATI when there driver support sucks dog balls compared to Nvidia.
Quote from rc10racer :Jakq why do you always go for ATI when there driver support sucks dog balls compared to Nvidia.

After claiming to be a nVidia fanboy too.
#5 - Jakg
Quote from rc10racer :Jakq why do you always go for ATI when there driver support sucks dog balls compared to Nvidia.

I've never gone for ATi, they're drivers suck, but the 2900 Pro is the bargain of the frigging century.

nVidia's drivers aren't great, and i usually wouldn't go for ATi, but 2900 Pro = WIN.

2900 Pro + Overclocking = WIN*WIN
video
i agree with Jakg
HD2900Pro is just a slower XT, but is cheaper then XT for about 100 pounds
sorry my english
#7 - Ziil
I say wait till december new cards are coming and prices will drop so it's not a very good idea to buy a card now to find out a month later that a better and a cheaper card is available. So just wait a bit more
Quote from LFSn00b :But i am not going to overclock my PC, the clocking ability in the BIOS is restricted :|

I could check out the Radeon 2900 Pro, thanks for the tpis Jakg.

you dont need BIOS changes to OC a video card, just install a program (ATI Tool) and thats all.
The 8800GTS is fricken huge, I laughed when I first saw one.
Having an 8800gts 640 myself i would say go for that, my previous cards were ATi and i always had issues.

having said that maybe do a lot of research on the ati card that jakg suggested versus the 8800gts 320/640. if its only for LFS maybe go for the cheaper one.
check out my post in the how to make lfs look better here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=577635#post577635

Nvidia's actual videoboards Both 8800gts and gtx have problems with texture aliasing.

Older Ati graphics like the x1900xtx have better overall image quality and blending, wich "should" mean that newer ati boards should be better ingame but with faster fps.

i agree with Jakg... Ati drivers suck... and i hate ati boards, but in the end i found myself "not so satisfied" with the dual 8800gts sli upgrade that recieved one of my computers.. and i had two side to side to compare and to confirm that something was wrong with the nvidias.

It happens even with the 8800gtx at 1680x1050 at the highest quality configuration.
Quote from vf1-xj220 :check out my post in the how to make lfs look better here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=577635#post577635

Nvidia's actual videoboards Both 8800gts and gtx have problems with texture aliasing.

Older Ati graphics like the x1900xtx have better overall image quality and blending, wich "should" mean that newer ati boards should be better ingame but with faster fps.

i agree with Jakg... Ati drivers suck... and i hate ati boards, but in the end i found myself "not so satisfied" with the dual 8800gts sli upgrade that recieved one of my computers.. and i had two side to side to compare and to confirm that something was wrong with the nvidias.

It happens even with the 8800gtx at 1680x1050 at the highest quality configuration.

hey mate, i have an SLi setup with 2 8800gts 640M and havent had any issues yet. what problems did you have?
they are not problems... it's just that the resulting quality of the game rendering is poor compared to Ati's

it's very dissapointing since i've upgraded to a SLI 8800gts and although the fps boost is awesome... the Ati render seems more natural and blended...

if you see the picture i posted in the post that i pointed out in the guide post, in the horizon, there are yellow lines that are caused by texture overlapping in the zones that have shadows over the track. It's not very noticeable, but they are annoying if you are not used to them. have a try... play a few laps over blackwood in the fox, and watch out for the shadows far in the horizon, you'll see that there are yellow lines around shadows when there are far away... it's very slight but come to think of it.. why there are lines that are not black, green or grey... shadows don't have yellow, yet you are seeing yellow lines in the track.

again, it's not a problem with the game nor it is with the video board.. most people won't notice them.. but when you have time playing with the ATI that doesn't have this things, switching to the nvidia then makes you feel that something is not right.
Hmm, i never noticed this but i just tried out what you said and couldnt see this problem, i have upgraded to the hi-res pack (including skies etc) maybe that is why?
Quote from Mr_Rotary :Hmm, i never noticed this but i just tried out what you said and couldnt see this problem, i have upgraded to the hi-res pack (including skies etc) maybe that is why?

That won't make a difference. Look at the pictures in his link. Look where he has highlighted on the Nvidia (right) then compare it to the same spots on the ATI (left). I agree it does look more natural on the ATI but for someone who has to live without AA I think I could cope with the 8800GTSs rendering of LFS

Which Graphics card?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG