The online racing simulator
Can I have an Ultra Special Edition model please. A bit smaller than the original (so that it takes up less room within the wheel), and made of ABS or something, so that it costs about £20? Would be lovely.

But I'm not paying that much for a carbon one - it's not as though carbon has any benefits. Strength isn't an issue really, and a lighter thing won't make the car quicker (and I don't think a few grams will hurt the wheel's performance).

Ultra Special (Cheap) Edition please.
A 10cm by 10cm piece of carbon fibre, some led lights and a wire - $120? Even if u had produced the carbon fibre yourself it won't cost so much. And $10 more for a silver colour. Yay.
This product has been added to my Christmas wish-list!

(right in between "A hole in the head" and "Genital Herpes")
A bit OTT, eh Bladerunner.. :-\
I'd rather just have the bits in a box which could sit on my desk and not have to turn with the wheel, I'd pay £15 for that. Even with the current design though I don't see any reason why it's made out of carbon fibre, granted using ABS would be slightly heavier but I suspect the box of bits and drag of the cable would still make far more wheel resistance. As much as I hate the stuff you should have used that carbon effect plastic, which would have set you back about a fiver for a 200x200 sheet and you could laser cut it. If you did that you could also offer an option for those of us who don't think carbon fibre is particuarly attractive in the first place
Erm what's ABS?
edit: hmm... something stinks here, and it's my post!
They are appealing to a niche market here guys. Nothing wrong with that.

And I daresay they will get buyers through this website because in the LFS community there are some hardcore sim players always on the look out for an extra gadget to add to the realism of a game.
I have just come across this thread. Quite a nice idea that CXC have come up with but I must say it is overpriced for what it actually does and if it voids the G25's warranty it really isn't worth buying.

I have just been looking at the CXC website and do they actually state anywhere or warn people that it voids the warranty of their wheel when installing the SLI? I certainly didn't find it

I agree with Squidhead

Quote :so basically what we have here is the opportunity to spend $120 on voiding a $300 wheel's warranty...

you lost me right here...

Spending $120 on something that will void my warranty which means that if my wheel was to break I would have to dish out another $300 is really not something i personally want to do.

To sum it up:
Nice idea, nice product, way too over priced, voids my warranty, no thank you
Quote from Madman_CZ :I have just been looking at the CXC website and do they actually state anywhere or warn people that it voids the warranty of their wheel when installing the SLI? I certainly didn't find it

Legally, we cannot comment on our site regarding other companies warranties. I'm pretty certain I wouldn't want Logitech commenting on ours.

It is expected that the customer read both warranties and get a clear understanding of what's allowed and what's not.

That being said, it's actually remarkably simple to install. It should take the average user (with very little DIY skill and the included tool) 5-10 min to install it.

For those not interested in the steering wheel mod approach, we will soon be releasing our "stand-alone" SLI meant for cockpit mounting. It will obviously be even easier to install and $10 cheaper than the G25 SLI. We will also be offering it in kit form for those who already have the CST Shift Light or who want to save a little more money.

I like the ABS idea and I promise to look into it, but again the face plate is not the only major cost here. There are many other little parts that add up. I wish I could show you our parts list with prices, I'm sure you'd be surprised.

For the skeptics, please let me know if there is someone else selling ready to use gauges cheaper than we are. I've looked and haven't seen any other competitors even close to our price range.

I'm really trying to please everyone here. I'm open to any suggestions you guys have

Chris Considine
CXC Simulations
Quote from CXC_Simulations :Legally, we cannot comment on our site regarding other companies warranties. I'm pretty certain I wouldn't want Logitech commenting on ours.

It is expected that the customer read both warranties and get a clear understanding of what's allowed and what's not.

Chris Considine
CXC Simulations

Hello there Chris

Thanks for the reply, I understand that you cannot comment on other companies warranty but surely the customer has a right to know before they invest their hard earnt money into something that can void a warranty on a very expensive product (in this case the G25) Surelly you can say on your website "please check your products warranty as installing this product may possibly make your warranty" without directly mentioning Logitech.

I guess though you probably have more information about the legal stuff than me. However I would feel a little bit cheated if I had ordered your SLI installed it and then my G25 packed in. Most warranties state that opening the wheel voids the warranty but the way the SLI fits onto the G25 may make people think their warranty is safe.

Anyway, its a nice product but i just wish i could afford it!

mad
Very good point there Mad. How about something like "Please check your wheel's warranty before installation"?

Chris Considine
CXC Simulations
Given the fact that your product is marketed to (and can only) be fitted to one wheel wouldn't it be worth e-mailing Logitech to get an official stance on what it would do to a warranty and get something definitive (it might even be positive) that you can post on the site?

As for a standalone version for $110, you've got to be joking and exchange rates are good atm. I really can't see how what is basically one LCD number, a few LEDs, a circuit board and a wire can set you back more than £5 in parts, then you've got to make a little box for it to go in, you must still have a good profit from £20. The hard part (for the average person) is getting it interfaced with the computer and all the software. There are reprogrammable chips with a USB interface that could easily do this for under £20 so really I can't see how the product without the carbon fibre isn't mainly mark up.
Quote from CXC_Simulations :Very good point there Mad. How about something like "Please check your wheel's warranty before installation"?

Chris Considine
CXC Simulations

Sound great Chris

edit: Before installation maybe too late, but i guess they can always return the product if they wish.
Quote from ajp71 :Given the fact that your product is marketed to (and can only) be fitted to one wheel wouldn't it be worth e-mailing Logitech to get an official stance on what it would do to a warranty and get something definitive (it might even be positive) that you can post on the site?

Logitech hasn't yet responded to our inquiries unfortunately

Quote from ajp71 : As for a standalone version for $110, you've got to be joking and exchange rates are good atm. I really can't see how what is basically one LCD number, a few LEDs, a circuit board and a wire can set you back more than £5 in parts, then you've got to make a little box for it to go in, you must still have a good profit from £20. The hard part (for the average person) is getting it interfaced with the computer and all the software. There are reprogrammable chips with a USB interface that could easily do this for under £20 so really I can't see how the product without the carbon fibre isn't mainly mark up.

Well, given that our gauge is based on the CST/Leo Bodnar shift light circuit board ($55 and available to anyone) those numbers are slightly off. Try also taking into account the CNC mill work and a few more internal components as well as things like packaging. Let me just say that the cost of building one of these is much higher than the profit margin by a long shot.

You also mentioned the software interface; this is one of our big points. We've been working in conjunction with CST to develop new plugins for a variety of simulations. This has actually proved to be quite a bit more costly than originally thought. Surprising really considering how simple the device actually is.

That's about as far as I want to go on the cost subject.

I freely encourage people with the will and skills to make there own version using the aforementioned shift light kit from CST. As I have said before, this product is design as a plug and play device. No (well, minimal) assembly needed.

Quote from Madman_CZ :edit: Before installation maybe too late, but i guess they can always return the product if they wish.

The G25 SLI comes with a 30 day return policy Baring any damage to the gauge that would prevent resale of course.
I checked the european link, and you can ask Niall and Danny, I saw the price and was like

"You gotta be having a ###ing laugh"

For what basically is a piece of carbonfibre, a couple of LEDS and some plastic and cables, the price is omfg ridiculous.

I could build one for about $20.

I'd buy one from you, today, for $80 (£40 or so) inc shipping.

You're currently asking abouy £65, which is a joke.

If my G25 were to stop functioning because I removed the wheel, I'm lacking a wheel, £150 and wasted a further £70 on what is basically a piece of plastic, what would you do? Nothing, me bets

I thinks this is a bit of a joke, tbh.

But I wish the product luck, if only the pricing would be competitive.

Rather make, for examples sake $40 profit on 100 units, or $20 profit on 250 units?

*cough*
#68 - Jakg
I like it, but like S14 DAFT i think the price is a little high - if it warrants it or not i feel that you could make more sales with a "cut price" version.
Quote from Jakg :I like it, but like S14 DAFT i think the price is a little high - if it warrants it or not i feel that you could make more sales with a "cut price" version.

LOL
Quote from PlusP :I've had my G-25 since the week they came out and now it's starting to make a burning smell after I use it hard for a few hours so I figure I'll end up buying another one before the year is up. If something costs under $500, I've found from past experience that it is more hassle than it is worth to fret over the warranty. I can't be without it for that long!

another harjun? :doh:
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I like the look of this and i would'nt mind buying one. One question, when i take the wheel off to fit the plate, will this void the waranty?

yes
SLI Plugin Pack 1.02 from CXC Simulations - Released
Hey guys. I thought I'd let you know that we released our new 1.02 SLI Plugin Pack for the line of SLI Gauges:

G25 SLI
SLI
SLI Kit

Download

SLI Plugin Pack 1.02 Features
  • All new GUI (Graphical User Interface) to manage all pugins and the test utility for the SLI (except for lfs at this moment)
  • SLI now supports rFactor, ARCA, LFS, GTR, GTL, GTR2, and NASCAR 2003
  • Invert gear display option (all games)
  • Flashing pit speed limiter warning option (all games accept rFactor)
  • Flashing stall warning option (all games)
  • Capability to save 6 different profiles
  • The ability to start the SLI plugin manually, or automatically detect what game you are playing, and start the corresponding plugin for the SLI for that game
  • Mod selector for NASCAR 2003
  • LFS Plugin with dynamic max RPM (the max RPM will change when you change cars automatically)
  • Sliders to control the percentage of RPMs at which each LED lights up
  • Reset button to bring you back to default settings
  • Simple, automatic installer
  • more to come...
Future Improvements in Testing
  • Comprehensive help files
  • This program will become more optimized and easier to use with subsequent versions
Future plugins being developed
  • Race
  • Race07
  • netKar Pro
  • Richard Burns Rally
  • Need for Speed Series
  • Test Drive Unlimited
  • Colin Mcrae Dirt
Please report any issues to our support forum in our forums. This is an early release so there are bound to be issues.
it still is very expensive for what it does.
well its hand crafted at thats what u pay for, and the materials offcourse

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG