The online racing simulator

Poll : Which would you prefer?

Keep Normal tire limit on base cars?
Reintroduce Supers to all cars again?
Small poll - Supers back on base cars
Ok, I'm just curious what you guys think about this. This has always bugged me since the Devs dropped the ability to run Supers on the GTI/XRT cars. I have always thought of these cars as superior to their higher powered counterparts in tight, twisty courses(mainly auto-x), and in many cases, they could out run their heavier siblings. However, after limiting them to only using Normal tires, they just don't compare. I rarely find myself even driving these cars anymore because they don't have an advantage now.

I know there's the arguement about if Supers or Slicks were available on every car, people would run it. Sure. That's the case because the tracks are yet to surfaces complex enough to take advantage of the tire types. We have yet to worry about dirt on the road surface or rain or cold weather that would compromise the higher gripping tires. However, in the real world, even a person running the tiniest, slowest car can go out and buy R compound tires. Even in competitions, there is only limitations on R vs street tires, and there are many classified street tires that would be comparable to the Supers.

I could see it as forcing car classes and to further seperate the car groups, but I find this disturbing. I think of it as the wrong approach. Certain courses will favor certain cars naturally. There's no reason to force the issue with tire limitations.

I guess this is sort of a gripe/plea to the Devs to re-introduce Supers to the base cars again, just because Joe Shmoe can go out to his local tire store and buy a set and throw them on his crappy car and in many racing events, it would still be a "street" tire as long as treadwear ratings were sufficient.
I believe supers were taken off the standard road cars simply to achieve a more realistic feel that one might expect from a road car. If the cars had supers on, I bet they would be pulling 1g in the corners or more, and they would just be cornering at unbelievable speeds. I say this because before when LFS used supers on all cars, most people argued that the smaller roadcars were cornering too fast.

Kind of a decision on the devs part to have some variation in feel as far as I can see. And I like the way it is now really. I know some people argue that the road cars should have slicks on them as well... and while that would be fun, I just think it sends the wrong message when it comes to LFS and its roadcar physics. Because many driving sim fans yearn to find a fun and enjoyable roadcar simulation (with the feel of a stock car), and if everyone was using grippier tires, it just wouldn't feel right.

I'd much rather have slight race-spec versions of all the roadcars to use, that would be great fun. Like some amateur touring/cup car models with slight more power and grip.
Quote from Tweaker :I'd much rather have slight race-spec versions of all the roadcars to use, that would be great fun. Like some amateur touring/cup car models with slight more power and grip.

+1
I also voted for no supers on road cars but tweaker's idea sure seems entertaining... +1

This is more or less what ZWR achieves with the 45% restricted UFR, fun to drive!
Quote from Tweaker :I'd much rather have slight race-spec versions of all the roadcars to use, that would be great fun. Like some amateur touring/cup car models with slight more power and grip.

I would really like to see some wtcc style cars based on the TBO class

On topic:
As it are road cars, they should be using road tires.
I think that as we now have the option of setting handicaps on cars server-side we should also have the option of limiting the tyres available. That way you could also have road cars running slicks if the admins allowed (something that was achievable via slickmod in the past iirc) or a server for stock road cars with a stock road car feel to them. That way admins could mix-and-match handicaps and tyre choice to create as fun/interesting an event as they want.

Amen to that.
Quote from Flying Squirrel :. Even in competitions, there is only limitations on R vs street tires, and there are many classified street tires that would be comparable to the Supers.

not true i'm afraid,not in all the race classes this is allowed.
in Holland even the formula ford had to race on "street" tires in the '80
it's all depending on the rules of that race class
Road Normals produce more grip than your average road tyre anyway, the name is a bit misleading. They should be renamed "Road Super" and "Road Uber-Awesome" or something. Would make things clearer.
Quote from Bob Smith :Road Normals produce more grip than your average road tyre anyway, the name is a bit misleading. They should be renamed "Road Super" and "Road Uber-Awesome" or something. Would make things clearer.

Lol agree.
The tires on the road cars is, or have good enough grip. It`s fun to drive those cars because they is easy to drive, but hard to master.

So -1 from me, I like it the way it is at the moment.
I think they are fine as it is now, I've been in road cars with very good tyres before but none as good as the old road supers, unless you count the road slicks you get on the Exige.

Quote from Tweaker :
I'd much rather have slight race-spec versions of all the roadcars to use, that would be great fun. Like some amateur touring/cup car models with slight more power and grip.

In conjunction with the introduction of greater setup limitations for the road-spec versions that would be great.

This is probably one of those pointless discussions, though. Like soooo many over the years.
I never remember the GTi being able to use Road super. I voted no because I understand the Standard road cars are supposed to be standard. But I also like Tweaker's idea. When I played around with Slick Mod a while ago the TBOs where great fun with grippy tires.
#15 - Gunn
If I were going to race I would use a performance tyre at least, never a normal or standard road tyre. They may have more grip than their real life counterpart, but LFS' normals don't even come close to the behaviour of a performance road tyre and they take a silly amount of time to reach optimum temperature. Something between a super and a normal would be best IMO. Many standard road tyres are only rated to be safe at speeds up to 100-120kph anyway.
#16 - Vain

Again, amen to that.

It always strikes me as completely rediculous to race in cars that have no cage, no fire extinguisher, no external fuel-pump-trigger, no quick-release for the engine-hood, no towing hook, but stereo and back seats. It's unsafe and slow.
(And anyone who tries to tell me that safety isn't a point in a virtual enviroment may from now on only drive without race-suit or helmet and must at all times state that the GTR class is rediculous because those cars have rollcages.)

Vain
There's plenty of street-legal high performance tyres out there, so I don't see why not. Maybe not Supers as they are for the mid-class cars, but something a little more race-day than standard road tyres would be good.

I'm shocked nobody has pimped SlickMod here yet though

I think we'd also need a serverside option to disable them as well though.
As much as I find Tweakers idea of Cup-versions appealing, I also think that in practice it would be the death of the road cars. If you give people the choice between a cup XFG and a standard XFG, 90 % would probably choose the cup car. And thus you might as well remove the stock cars from the game altogether.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG