The online racing simulator
#1 - Kurb
[Offer of] Web Developer [for LFS website]
Hello,

I am looking to work on a LFS related site. Hopefully in the areas of Skins and so on. I have been developing websites for 5 years now and have clients such as Mitsubishi and Sulake. I particularlly like design so that's why I'm interested in skinning sites as I love a good looking skin.

If anyone wants to open a skinning site or already has a site that needs someone who is experienced in design and coding (xHTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript) then drop me a line. Either PM me or email me on [email protected]. Also, if you own a vBulletin forum then I can definitly help as I am very skilled in modifying vBulletin to work as an entire site.

Hope to hear from some people.

Greg
Got a portfolio site or summat?
#3 - Kurb
I don't have one, however my recent project can be found at www.kurbed.com.
Since when is the General LFS Discussion a place for this?
No offence, but your... offering/spam... might thematically fit better in the Programmer Forum, or Off Topic.
#5 - Kurb
Quote from AndroidXP :Since when is the General LFS Discussion a place for this?
No offence, but your... offering/spam... might thematically fit better in the Programmer Forum, or Off Topic.

Sorry, moody. Programming has nothing to do with website design or coding. Plus Off Topic relates to things which don't include LFS, this topic does. Plus it's not spam.
Quote from Kurb :Programming has nothing to do with website design or coding.

Not true at all.

Quote from Kurb :Plus Off Topic relates to things which don't include LFS, this topic does.

Very loosely.

Quote from Kurb :Plus it's not spam.

You are advertising your services, whether it be free or not. I call that spam.

4. Not only does your site not show any of your previous work, it's also not very well done - the links to the 3 pages don't work etc.
#7 - Kurb
Quote from pb32000 :4. Not only does your site not show any of your previous work, it's also not very well done - the links to the 3 pages don't work etc.

I guess you mean the 1.Intro 2.Select 3.Apply? They aren't links, those are just showing you the steps you're on. So you can't use that as an excuse
Please take this as constructive criticism, not as an opportunity to claim that you're being picked on. You're clearly talented.

Quote from Kurb :I guess you mean the 1.Intro 2.Select 3.Apply? They aren't links, those are just showing you the steps you're on. So you can't use that as an excuse

However, that breaks basic user expectation: "if a section of text acts like a hyperlink then it must be a hyperlink. It doesn't work, therefore it must be broken".

Sorry, but if your projects break simple HCI rules then you've already got problems.
-
(Skil) DELETED by Bob Smith : driving thread off-topic
#9 - Kurb
Quote from the_angry_angel :Please take this as constructive criticism, not as an opportunity to claim that you're being picked on. You're clearly talented.

However, that breaks basic user expectation: "if a section of text acts like a hyperlink then it must be a hyperlink. It doesn't work, therefore it must be broken".

Sorry, but if your projects break simple HCI rules then you've already got problems.

I doesn't act link a hyperlink. It's a current page highlight. Won't be posting on here again about anything I'm good at. Everyone is just jealous :S
Quote from Kurb :I doesn't act link a hyperlink. It's a current page highlight.

It does. When you hover it the mouse turns into a hand (even though the hover area is somewhat shifted down from the text), and when you click it the text stays highlighted/orange. If that isn't link behaviour then I don't know...
#11 - Kurb
Okay, I know I'm correct and won't be replying to this thread anymore. Ignorant idiots in this forum.
Quote from Kurb :I doesn't act link a hyperlink. It's a current page highlight. Won't be posting on here again about anything I'm good at. Everyone is just jealous :S

The unfortunately placed "onclick" for the navigation changes the default behaviour of the mouse pointer so that it appears to be a clickable link (to the average user). Whilst it doesn't go anywhere, and you use the correct semantics in terms of HTML (aside from the assumption that javascript is permanently enabled - but I won't go there as your ego is clearly too delicate), it is still misleading to the user.

If you want to go and have a strop, feel free. It was a comment to help you improve and suggest a small little improvement to assist with a very simple HCI problem. As for everyone else, I'd personally just ignore them unless a moderator approaches you or this thread with the stamp of "god".
Quote from Kurb :Okay, I know I'm correct and won't be replying to this thread anymore. Ignorant idiots in this forum.

Not usually. But since Javascript, xHTML, CSS, PHP and SQL are programming languages, where do you think the thread should have gone?

This conversation doesn't relate to something in LFS, therefor it should have at least started in the OT thread. Before you say it, no it's not. It's speculative. You want to do something related to LFS, but this isn't that project. Once you have a site up, then you can post it in this forum because it will be LFS-related.

They might have been a little tactless (as happens a lot round here), but you can't go off on one because you didn't follow the rules.
Kurb, of course you could propose a new skin for lfsforum
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by Bob Smith : driving thread off-topic
-
(NotAnIllusion) DELETED by Bob Smith : driving thread off-topic
If people could stop driving the thread off topic, this seems to be a genuine offer to help, despite reading a bit like an advert.

Greg - if you're working for customers then you should expect able be able te deal with criticism. Nothing particularly harsh was said. Having looked at your site, the criticism does seem valid. I'm also not keen on fixed width sites (although the two most recent sites I made were fixed width, so I understand there are still times when they are best suited), especially if they are a tiny width. I can fit that site three times across the width of my screen. Seems like such a waste of screen real estate.
I think this thread is a great example of a lack of elasticity from everyone - original poster and subsequent posters.

Amazing how something can go sour so fast.
OT:

"Kurb" means "sad" in Estonian.

End OT
His first post, offering to help work on LFS related sites included no link to his web site or business services whatsoever. I think it's pretty sad how someone offering to help the community get's shot down like this.
People: Don't get all anal about dissing the thread cos it should have been in a different subforum! He's a new poster, and besides, how many threads here stick to the point of the subform and how many wander off into other areas? It's no big deal moving a thread once its course has become clear, but I can't understand why he was met with such blinkered hostility. those involved should be ashamed of themselves.
Quote from Kurb :I guess you mean the 1.Intro 2.Select 3.Apply? They aren't links, those are just showing you the steps you're on. So you can't use that as an excuse

OOhhhh he can, because the user has to understand the webdesign immedeately. And the info bar thingie you made there really looks like a menu. Thus the site doesnt work really well Im afraid.
Maybe the most important thing of a website is that you dont have to think "how does the webdesigner want me to use this?". A website has to work.

Also, if you want to start a project, you should have a clear picture of it in your head, and describe a bit more detailed what work will be needed.
Thank you LFS community for saving us from the evils this man would of freely administered to any possible new LFS-related websites! Oh you have delivered us, trully, from the jaws of evil and misconceived interface experiments that might of adorned the usually-perfect-and-flawless amateur websites that spring out of this community! Bless you!
Well, it acts like a link, but it's not, but it is an "onclick" event, where maybe an onrollover (dunno anything about JS, but you get what I mean). It's flawed in logic, and I kept clicking it, thinking it was a menu. Your ignorant, elitist attitude won't get you anywhere.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Your ignorant, elitist attitude won't get you anywhere.

That's exactly where my (and I think the others being 'hostile') issue lies.

I'm all for helping the community etc, but I can tell you I wouldn't work with a guy who gets pissed off the second someone questions his work, especially when the work is flawed.
Quote from pb32000 :That's exactly where my (and I think the others being 'hostile') issue lies.

I'm all for helping the community etc, but I can tell you I wouldn't work with a guy who gets pissed off the second someone questions his work, especially when the work is flawed.

Perhaps his thread being characterized as spam (a term not taken too positively) has something to do with it as well? *shrug*

As I said previously - elasticity helps - he is a newcomer after all, only 10 posts. IMO, people need to cut some slack and consider a matter spherically.
Oh my, and all that because I didn't add an emoticon to my post :rolleyes:
I sure have it with words lately...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG