The online racing simulator
Manufacturer names for cars?
(47 posts, started )
Yes, i understood. Scawen explained this once. For example, in XR GT,
XR is the manufacturer and GT is the model. Something like that.
Well, with fictional brands (the XR seems to mee more like the model and the GT like the spec) would not only create a lot more immersion and atmosphere, but help new players to identify the cars more easily. If we are honest, the letterd+numberd combinations have nothing remarkable. just compare the emotion transportet: F575M or Ferrari F575M Maranello.

We all agree that the devs should concentrate on the more important base of the program, but this is an issue which can easily be solved by this very creative community. The involvement of the devs would be minimal: picking the most fitting brands and put the name and logos to the car selection (not even on the skins, as they are edited by most recares anyways...) and on the homepage.

LfS is an outstanding racing game as it is now, concerning physics and drivability. Graphicwise it may not be state-of-the-art, but still, the looks are gorgeous. The presentation of the game though, is very basic. It lacks in the love for detail (that all the devs obviously possess) to impress the audience.
I can't describe it any other way than there is no adequate framework around the races. It does leave beginners quite alone in it's vast multitude of options and does not manage to induce the "I am a racedriver" feeling, you do not "smell the gasoline and oil".
The driving school is a step into the right direction IMHO. The background in the menu looks good, and, contradicting the whole GUI from the game, is not too abstract. If it would include awards at certain milestones (like advancing to the next class of cars), it would be even better.

Adding car brands would just be another logical step to suck the player into Live for Speed...

If anyone was touched by my "speech", I can mail you handkerchief-templates to print out
Quote from ColeusRattus :Spitfire:

Their first car "Spitfire Mark I" was basically a carframe built around an engine of the infamous Spitfire fighter.

Whether it was famous or infamous depends on what end of it's 20mm cannon you were on. For marketing copy, you generally stay away from the negative.
For the logo, the destinctive feature of the Spitfire was it's rounded wing tips. If I were doing a logo, I would want to show that. It is unmistakeable. Plus, I think that Supermarine, or whoever holds the rights, might get a little upset about the whole thing. Cool idea though
I actually like the fact that the car manufacturers are ambiguous. That way you can make a car out to be whatever you want it to be. Think the GTT is a Starion? Okay, it's a Starion. Think it acts more like a 240SX? Alright, it's a 240SX. But maybe that's just me.
Quote from Hallen :Whether it was famous or infamous depends on what end of it's 20mm cannon you were on. For marketing copy, you generally stay away from the negative.
For the logo, the destinctive feature of the Spitfire was it's rounded wing tips. If I were doing a logo, I would want to show that. It is unmistakeable. Plus, I think that Supermarine, or whoever holds the rights, might get a little upset about the whole thing. Cool idea though

Corrected that, thx
A top-down view of the plane would just not look like a logo. Tried that. Sure, this one could be mistaken with lot's of prop-planes, but I guess it's abstracted enough to be on a car's hood, even from afar, and yet resembles enough of a plane to be recognised. Also, Spitfire is the most "catchy" name I encountered in Il2, which is still not as brute as "Warhawk", as dull as "Hurricane" and as overused as "Mustang"
Quote from ColeusRattus :Well, with fictional brands (the XR seems to mee more like the model and the GT like the spec) would not only create a lot more immersion and atmosphere, but help new players to identify the cars more easily. If we are honest, the letterd+numberd combinations have nothing remarkable. just compare the emotion transportet: F575M or Ferrari F575M Maranello.

We all agree that the devs should concentrate on the more important base of the program, but this is an issue which can easily be solved by this very creative community. The involvement of the devs would be minimal: picking the most fitting brands and put the name and logos to the car selection (not even on the skins, as they are edited by most recares anyways...) and on the homepage.

LfS is an outstanding racing game as it is now, concerning physics and drivability. Graphicwise it may not be state-of-the-art, but still, the looks are gorgeous. The presentation of the game though, is very basic. It lacks in the love for detail (that all the devs obviously possess) to impress the audience.
I can't describe it any other way than there is no adequate framework around the races. It does leave beginners quite alone in it's vast multitude of options and does not manage to induce the "I am a racedriver" feeling, you do not "smell the gasoline and oil".
The driving school is a step into the right direction IMHO. The background in the menu looks good, and, contradicting the whole GUI from the game, is not too abstract. If it would include awards at certain milestones (like advancing to the next class of cars), it would be even better.

Adding car brands would just be another logical step to suck the player into Live for Speed...

If anyone was touched by my "speech", I can mail you handkerchief-templates to print out

I agree. (not complaining about the game here at all, just noting some thoughts I had comming in as a new player, only about 2 weeks ago..) After downloading the demo I was extreemely impressed by the physics, and by how smoothly the whole game ran on my rather dated system, with graphics cranked to the max. (I hang between 30-40fps, which in my mind is right where it needs to be - preferrably starting at 32..) After a few days of goofing off with the demo though, I started thinking, hmm.. no money to win/use, no parts to buy, and for a very short stint, I started to lose a little interest. Of course, that didn't last long because of how awesome the game is, and I decided why not go ahead and buy S1 and see how I like it/upgrade to S2 when my holiday budget allows. Now I had a few more cars to expierience and this was neat, though I was still a little bored with the fact that you could pick and tweak every aspect of any car, at any time - no unlocking of anything, no overall challenge.. not that this is a bad thing, just it's what we've all been made accustomed to/somthing that helps hold people to a game, clearly layed out goals. (and also, not that the game needs to conform to the strategy of every other game on the market, I understand and appreciate how LFS is a unique simulation expierience etc) Anyways though, I got involved in this BB and grew a great appreciation for what these 3 guys were doing, and decided screw it, I'll go ahead and upgraded to S2, even if I can't afford it quite yet, haha. Again, I had more cars to play around with and this was fun, though again I started thinking, hmm, nothing to win, nothing to unlock. It was probably a few days later that I started to get into online driving, (I'd been holding off, since I really feel you need a wheel to play the game), and finally realized, the game wasn't about unlocking cars/buying parts etc, it was about simulated, online racing, and the fun to be had was definetely with the masses online, and that the fact that every car was mechanically identical was actually a very cool thing, and competitive feature. All that said though, I think some form of unlocking/winning things could suck more people into the game, and keep them playing offline when they aren't able to connect to the internet. Even somthing as simple as awards given within the driving school, as ColeusRattus suggested. Onto the actual topic of conversation though, emblems, haha. (and sorry for the long post, that's a self known downfall of my typing/explaining my thoughts )

Emblems... I was sitting here looking at the XFGti repaint on my desktop, silently trying to figure out what to do about my crappy looking little emblem on the nose. The resolution just isn't high enough to make what I have look any good at such a small size, and I was thinking, I could do better.. Then I started wondering if anybody else thought the cars looked a little bare, and would want a uniform LFS emblem? I'm not even talking as complicated as multiple emblems/manufacturers for each car, I just mean a simple emblem that could be used on every car, showing that they are all manufactured by "LFS", and filling the bare spots where we are all so used to seeing a symbol. (so I decided to search, and found this thread..) First I tried to put a Mazda emblem on the nose of my XF, but as stated, it just didn't work, so then I stole an emblem off a different repaint, but decided I didn't quite like it either. After thinking it over for a little while I decided to just make somthing that looked like a general emblem, to fill the bare spot, but that it was kind of silly to try and call it any specific brand of car. It's not, it's an LFS car, it's unique, and to me, seeing one with a Mazda emblem on it sitting next one with say, a Mitsubitchie emblem in the same spot, just seems kind of odd to me. Anyways, what I'm getting at is just that I'm interested in one, uniform, LFS emblem, to be used on each and every car. (though removeable/repaintable for anywho desire to totally customize their car) Definitely not an important feature/change to the game, but somthing that I believe would make the cars seem a little more realistic in appearance.. and I'm not bashing on anybody who likes the ability to make their car a "240sx" while the next person makes it a "Starion", that's actually really neat, but I think a uniform emblem/badging would be a good thing to have just the same, at least at the start. IMO, the cars just look too bare without emblems and badges, as found on real cars. (badges.. like the XFGti could have a little "ti" symbol somewhere, maybe replacing the stock location of XF on the lower right) Ok, I'm done, sorry again for the horrendously long post. Anybody with me on the emblem/badging thing though?
Well, if anybody actually read that extreeeeemely long winded reply above, I went ahead and made up my own "LFS" emblem. It's not somthing big and detailed, just a tiny, low-res little thing, to do exactly what I said above.. fill the hole where a car should have an emblem, (and didn't come with one) I took the 3 colors of LFS, yellow, grey and blue, and stuck them in a small, shield shaped thingie, lol. The colors obviously represent LFS, and the shield, uhh..it's whatever you want it to be. Simple, but serves its purpose - represents LFS as the car manufacturer, and adds small detail to overall appearance. Unless I figure a way to improve on it, I'll likely use it on all my skins.. Oh, the original idea was to actually make it an LFS inside the shield, like in the game's Icon, but I couldn't get the F to do anything visually attractive with such a small area to work with, hence the 3 blocks.
Attached images
LFS Emblem Nose.jpg
LFS Emblem Tail.jpg
#33 - Vain
Looks good to me. *thumbs up*

Vain
Looks like a Buick's...
#35 - Jakg
Quote from Hallen :Whether it was famous or infamous depends on what end of it's 20mm cannon you were on. For marketing copy, you generally stay away from the negative.

you could just have a picture of a generic plane and call it a spitfyre, or we could just think of less controversial names (if VW can get away with "Peoples car" we can get away with something pretty lame!) and use our combined intelligence and creativity to come p with something (like the name of animals, seas, mountains etc)
#36 - Jakg
Quote from Tinytacohead :Well, if anybody actually read that extreeeeemely long winded reply above, I went ahead and made up my own "LFS" emblem. It's not somthing big and detailed, just a tiny, low-res little thing, to do exactly what I said above.. fill the hole where a car should have an emblem, (and didn't come with one) I took the 3 colors of LFS, yellow, grey and blue, and stuck them in a small, shield shaped thingie, lol. The colors obviously represent LFS, and the shield, uhh..it's whatever you want it to be. Simple, but serves its purpose - represents LFS as the car manufacturer, and adds small detail to overall appearance. Unless I figure a way to improve on it, I'll likely use it on all my skins.. Oh, the original idea was to actually make it an LFS inside the shield, like in the game's Icon, but I couldn't get the F to do anything visually attractive with such a small area to work with, hence the 3 blocks.

like it, bit to rovery, bet the chinese cars seem to be copies of everything else so they shouldnt mind! could there be a different way of using red in the gti logo? vw may find it similar to certain golfs...
I "was inspired" to make the GTI after looking at Golfs, (IE-edited out the background and then skewed it to be italic, ). I don't see that one as much of a problem, red's not a new accent color for letters in that type of badge, and VW's isn't italic. I thought of, and may, just make all 3 letters grey though. As for the LFS emblem, I guess you're right, a tad Buick'y, haha. Didn't notice that, guess I don't look at Buick's too much, lol. I may try and do up somthing else somtime soon, but for now I'll just stick with that one. (unless anybody has any specific design suggestions) Thanks for the constructive criticism.
All this is fine and good. But what y'all really need to do is make fake car commercials too
Quote from Racer Y :All this is fine and good. But what y'all really need to do is make fake car commercials too

kraniwani, you heard this?
Bokkusu Racing- Japanese for Box
So came up with a simple yet new manufacture for the XF GTi & XF GTR

Bokkusu(Japanese for 'Box') Racing was founded in the late 80's early 90's when a small car company saw an oppurtunity to get into the street tuner/street racing market, that was booming in the US. First, looked down upown in Japan for being a cheap knock off of the Honda Civic, H/R proved it's worth by winning the D1 GP US, in 95. From that point on H/R has conintually proven itself as a real competitor in the D1 races, and as a cheap but reliable car for day to day driving as well.
Attached images
box.jpg
I think "Kevrolet" would be a good name for pretty much all of them.

I also think they should rename the FXO the "Kevalier".
link plz
Quote from bronydrifter :link plz

Amazing!!!

I just say, the all lfs fictional cars are from same fictional manufacturer.

Is someone asked even for about how devs did end up the names like these? Xr xf fz uf lx are just 2 letters. Fxo and rb4 has 3 and Formula xr and v8 are just formula and 2 letters. The remain 4 cars are based for real, rac mrt fbm and bf1

Edit: therenis nothing wrong with names, just curious
Quote from xaotik :Well, in that case - here's a logo for an imaginary Italian car maker. The oldest of them all - started out with a small shed in Arpinum (now Arpino) building chariots for the Roman Empire...

Lorem Ipsum is from the Latin 'delorum ipsum', meaning 'pain itself'. Big grin
"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
"There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Well, the urban dictionary and century 21 may disagree with 45 BC Rome.......
And, no, there is no link posted..... "Think of the children !!!!"

And from the pointless knowledge dept....

"Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32."

EDIT: LOL - Kiwi's teaching Latin to Europeans -

Sweet as flag eh bro Smile

Manufacturer names for cars?
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG