The online racing simulator
Alonso was and is a genius and a very capable and deserving double world champion, but there is no question this season he's been a crying baby and spoiled brat and frankly he doesnt deserve anything from this season.

At this moment in time I think the sport would be better without him. Pedro de la Rossa is an amazing driver, if I was Ron Dennis Alonso would not even start the rest of the season.
Yeah, I agree to an extent.

The last few years Alonso has been a very deserving world champion, with some great drives. But in 2007 his driving has been generally poor (except for a few great performances like the Euro GP), which would be bad enough if he didn't act like an arsehole to the media away from the track.

I'm an Alonso fan, but I'm also a Hamilton fan. I would be glad to see Alonso go back to Renault, just for his own sake more than any thing else. I still believe Alonso is a truly world class driver, but at McLaren he is showing none of his skill, just his negative side. Which every driver has, btw.

Anyway, I'd love to see a Lewis/Fernado/Kimi battle for the title next year, with them all in different teams.
i think genius is a bit of a strong word to describe a driver who is being beaten buy someone new to F1 in the same car. good, great, but not genius
#29 - Gunn
Quote from ATic ATac :
Anyway, consider that Alonso won with a renault, with a much smaller budget than ferrari and McLaren. Then he arrives to McLaren - team with a few years without winning - and suddenly both of their cars are at the top of the championship.... and renault goes back to the middle of the grid

That says something in favour of Alonso

Nope. That says a lot about McLaren's 2007 car. Even a rookie can win in it. It's a great car. I'm sure the majority of F1 drivers currently with a seat could shine in the McLaren. The differences between F1 drivers does make a difference of course, but if you don't have a competitive car it won't matter how skilled your drivers are, you won't be winning the championship.
Quote from Intrepid :i think genius is a bit of a strong word to describe a driver who is being beaten buy someone new to F1 in the same car. good, great, but not genius

Aside from the last GP, Alonso has well had the upper hand over Lewis for the second part of the season. Yes, Alonso's driving has been sub-par, for him, but still better than 75% of the rest of the grid.

I just get annoyed by the short memories people have. Everyone is saying Alonso is shit because he's had a bad year, but they seem to forget just how much fun we all had watching him beat Schumacher, while in a under-performing car. No one who watched the last couple of seasons could come away with anything but admiration for the guy. Well, anyone who didn't already have an agenda.

Still, this year is F1 2007 Feat. Lewis Hamilton, so everyone is dawning their blinkers and going mad for a young guy who's never been forced to achieve in any situation which wasn't built around him.
if i was alonso, i wouldn't want to be hamilton's team mate either.

however, it doesn't seem like there are any other viable options. ferrari has 2 drivers they like, bmw has 2 drivers they like, and none of the other cars are fast enough. so i think he's going to have to suck it up, put this season behind him, and focus on having a better season next year. i think the politics really got inside his head this year, and it's unfortunate. but i think he deserves a fair shot next year, and if he just accepts that hamilton isn't a team player, and only worries about his own races, he'll be fine.
Hamilton won't be a great until he goes to a crap team and makes them better (or sticks with a team that has become crap, and sorts it out). Alonso lucked into McLaren getting Ferrari's phone-number (okay, not entirely. But I bet McLaren would be winning races this year without Alonso's input).

If Alonso can go to Renault and turn them into a winning force then I'll concede he's good.
Alonso has not let many people down on track this season, he is still a great driver. But many people have lost respect for him off the track, Hamilton himself says he admired and respected Alonso as a person and a champion, and feels let down by him.

Why would Renault want him back? He was center of attention there and they loved the guy, then he stabs him and his manager in the back by signing for Mclaren.

I say Mclaren should sign someone like Button, he has more than proved himself to be a consistent driver that works well with the team, he is a changed man now and just the kind of guy you would want to drive alongside Hamilton.
Quote from tristancliffe :Hamilton won't be a great until he goes to a crap team and makes them better (or sticks with a team that has become crap, and sorts it out). Alonso lucked into McLaren getting Ferrari's phone-number (okay, not entirely. But I bet McLaren would be winning races this year without Alonso's input).

If Alonso can go to Renault and turn them into a winning force then I'll concede he's good.

Ah, sorry, I didn't realise that was the barometer of greatness in F1 these days. I thought you still just needed to win world championships...
Quote from DarkTimes :Ah, sorry, I didn't realise that was the barometer of greatness in F1 these days. I thought you still just needed to win world championships...

Yeh but these days you can put a trained chimp in the fastest car and it will at least get a podium. Although to be honest I do think Hamilton is the next great F1 driver, he will be the guy who beats Schumachers records.
McLaren should get rid of Alonso

And get Button instead - it would make F1 a happier place!

And Button could show us how quick he really is.
Quote from J@tko :And get Button instead - it would make F1 a happier place!

And the british sports media would go super nova.
Quote from J@tko :McLaren should get rid of Alonso

And get Button instead - it would make F1 a happier place!

Button would make a good McLaren driver in the same way that DC did. He'd be good enough to support the lead driver but not so good that he threatens to win any championships.
Quote from xaotik :And the british sports media would go super nova.

Quote from thisnameistaken :Button would make a good McLaren driver in the same way that DC did. He'd be good enough to support the lead driver but not so good that he threatens to win any championships.

I agree - He wouldn't have the same relationship with Ron Dennis as Lewis has.
Quote from J@tko :

I agree - He wouldn't have the same relationship with Ron Dennis as Lewis has.

What he meant was that Button is slow.
Quote from Blackout :What he meant was that Button is slow.

:shhh:

I got told off for comparing DC to Ralf Schumacher yesterday, I'm treading on egg shells here!
Quote from Mazz4200 :A year ago i would have argued his case, but, after seeing his childish petulant behaviour this season i think you may be right.

------

As far as Prodrive are concerned, they've already signed up De La Rosa and Gary Paffit for next year.

wow......is that confirmed?

im so behind prodrive, and thats a gr8 driver lineup!
Quote from Blackout :What he meant was that Button is slow.

and also that Button is not as fast as Hamilton .
Quote from J@tko :and also that Button is not as fast as Hamilton .

how can you say that until they are both in the same car?
Gary Paffit was promised a race seat for 2008 after being knocked back for 2007, so methinks he is very likely to be at Prodrive. If Mclaren got rid of Alonso as they should, I think someone like Button who has been around a long time now and in need of a good shave would be perfect. He would win the races that Lewis didn't basically.
I'd agree with that.

Button would win a lot of races, though probably not as many as Hamilton.
Button would also wipe the floor in wet races

I think Button will also get a bit boost relative to many others when traction control is gone.

But I don't think Button will win championships in a normal season. He's very very quick, and very very smooth, but lacks that last percent or two that could carry him to a title without very odd circumstances. But then again, I might be wrong (and I hope I am).
Quote from mr grady :how can you say that until they are both in the same car?

Ok, i dont know that ... but i just think that Hamilton is quicker, but i have no proof.

Quote from tristancliffe :I'd agree with that.

Button would win a lot of races, though probably not as many as Hamilton.
Button would also wipe the floor in wet races

I think Button will also get a bit boost relative to many others when traction control is gone.

But I don't think Button will win championships in a normal season. He's very very quick, and very very smooth, but lacks that last percent or two that could carry him to a title without very odd circumstances. But then again, I might be wrong (and I hope I am).

Button won his only race in the wet and has one of the smoothest driving styles in F1 - perfect without T/C
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I think someone like Button who has been around a long time now and in need of a good shave would be perfect.

I'll never understand McLaren's facial hair policy...
I think Ron is one of those people who are scared of beards and don't trust people who have them. To be honest though Alonso grew a better beard in 3 weeks than Button has in several years, so I don't think it would be a problem to get Button a shaver for Christmas with his Mclaren contract.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG