The online racing simulator
Death proof / Grindhouse
(39 posts, started )
Death proof / Grindhouse / Planet Terror
Anyone seen it?.

Went to see Death proof this afternoon, and TBH was blown away by it.

Classic Tarantino dialogue, girls, cars (big 70's muscle cars at that), hilarious, over the top violence, just a top, top movie.

Some of the 70's "effects" are a little cheesy, but that doesnt detract from a great movie.

Well worth a look IMO, if you are over 18 of course
#2 - Jakg
Watching right now :P

Not quite sure if this thing even has a plot, but i'm only 1:24:59 in atm...
Hmmmm........I hope you are over 18........

As for a plot, there is one, but it's a little thin, however, the character development is pretty good on the first 3 "girls", even though they are off'd pretty sharpish.
Was cool, but I found the plot to be really short and uninteresting. (Deathproof).

It's all for the action/chase scenes anyways....
Yeah, they coulda fleshed the plot out a little, with was Stuntman Mike a murderous fool, why was a "stuntman" such a big pansy etc etc.

But for what it was, 2 hours of pure entertainment, it can't be beat IMO.
There might not be much of a plot in Deathproof, but that's not what it's about, really. It's a movie about movie making and about audience reception. It plays with the audience and lets it always know that, by revealing the mechanisms it deploys -- but still, you can't help feeling exactly like you're supposed to feel. Of course, you can also just watch it as pure light entertainment if you don't feel like thinking.

Great movie. Tarrantino's best as of yet, imho.
#7 - Bean0
Watched it a while ago, pretty good but thought it dragged on a bit.
Quote from Linsen :There might not be much of a plot in Deathproof, but that's not what it's about, really. It's a movie about movie making and about audience reception. It plays with the audience and lets it always know that, by revealing the mechanisms it deploys -- but still, you can't help feeling exactly like you're supposed to feel. Of course, you can also just watch it as pure light entertainment if you don't feel like thinking.

Great movie. Tarrantino's best as of yet, imho.

Totally agree with that
Agreed with Linsen, and I'd also like to say that it really reinforces what an unstoppable badass Kurt Russell is.
I enjoyed it...starts slow and VERY interesting with those luvly hotties, then gradually builds up...and the chase at the end was brill!
Saw Death proof a few days ago, and I wasn't that much impressed with it ( Pulp fiction is still the BEST Tarantino film for me ) , but I really liked the dialouges and the little details . Waiting for Planet Terror too :P
I don't think this is anywhere near the other tarantino movies. Watching the movie felt more like watching a Tarantino movie with the typical hollywood drama addons. All what was good was the dialogue, typical Tarantino stuff.

6/10, defenately a disappointment from Tarantino
What ever happened to the cheerleader girl?
#14 - Nobo
Quote from MyBoss :What ever happened to the cheerleader girl?

The only thing i kept from this film was that question
Tarantino is probably one of the most overrated directors I have heard of. His films always seem extremely cheesy to me, and the guy is very annoying and geeky. Any interview I've seen him do is boring, he isnt funny, his stories are boring, and he acts like a 14 year old high on cocain.

I've seen clips and heard about it, the fact Tarantino uses real stunts rather than CGI is great, more films should do that. I've not seen this film so I won't judge it, I do want to see it though just incase Tarantino has produced a decent film for once.
Opinions, funny things aren't they!!!, I find Taratino films about as far from boring as possible, I actually came out of the cinema buzzing after seeing Death Proof
Quote from danowat :Opinions, funny things aren't they!!!, I find Taratino films about as far from boring as possible, I actually came out of the cinema buzzing after seeing Death Proof

I said he was boring, not his films, I said his films are crap Just typical examples of what a guy who has spent too much time in his room would come up with, guns, car chases, lots of half naked women and weak plots with cheesy dialogue.
Ahhh......but you missed the point, sure, on the surface it is just a gun/car/t&a fest, but it's not really.
It shows that even though you have all those things, you can still have top notch dialogue, which is punchy and funny.
It also spins the old explotation movies on there heads towards the end, simply because it plays out just like the old explotation movies of the 70's did......
Maniac guy killing lots of scantilly clad women (as he did straight away to my poor love Rose Mcgowan), then goes on to kill the other 4, one of which is called Jungle Julia, only Tarantino can get away with calling a black women Jungle Julia, but I digress........
He then bites off more than he can chew, and the film goes all 90's -00's and on a big girl power trip, not only that but he cries like I baby when he gets hurt, at this point in the movie I was literally cracking up in the cinema, it's was just SO funny.
Sure, you don't have to like this film, but there is just so much more to it than a lot of people think, I personally think it's one of THE best films in AGES, and believe me, I have seen ALOT of films.
I will have to take a look at it when it comes out on DVD (cinema is way too expensive these days). Although I doubt it will be as good as The Last King of Scotland or The Departed, but I will have to wait and see.
Cinema too expensive?, you must be going at the wrong times!!!.

At my local Vue, in Norwich, it's £4 each on a tuesday, and when you go, you get £1.50 voucher for the next visit, so for me and my GF to see Death Proof it cost a grand total of £5, also, they validate your parking.

So IMO, it was bloody cheap
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Tarantino is probably one of the most overrated directors I have heard of. His films always seem extremely cheesy to me, and the guy is very annoying and geeky. Any interview I've seen him do is boring, he isnt funny, his stories are boring, and he acts like a 14 year old high on cocain.

Then you either haven't seen his movies or you have a bad taste. You can't say Pulp Fiction was a bad movie.. or Reservoir Dogs. They were disgusting, but certainly not bad
Not much of a plot, but the usual brilliant Tarantino dialogue and the chase at the end made it plenty watchable. Oh, and the lapdance scene! Pulp Fiction is still best though.
#23 - w126
I think car action in "Death Proof" is nice. However, the dialogs are pretentious and boring. I guess I'm too old.
Finally got round to seeing Planet Terror over the weekend......

Oh....my.......god......what a film, it's a total hoot from start to end, outstandingly fun action film, really enjoyed it, and Rose Mcgowen is hot as hell too........

It's totally silly, but thats what makes it so fun, well worth a watch IMO
Quote from danowat :Finally got round to seeing Planet Terror over the weekend......

Oh....my.......god......what a film, it's a total hoot from start to end, outstandingly fun action film, really enjoyed it, and Rose Mcgowen is hot as hell too........

It's totally silly, but thats what makes it so fun, well worth a watch IMO

I never did get round to watching this, will hunt it out today

Death proof / Grindhouse
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG