The online racing simulator
RIP my computer (rant)
(18 posts, started )
RIP my computer (rant)
Earlier this morning, I turned on my main computer and immediately came up the message

"A disk read error occured
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Tried, and no restart.

I called my dad who was at a local STS Auto store getting the Odyssey's tires changed, and he said it was most likely the hard drive that had finally given up after all these years of continuous use, or, worst-case-scenario, the motherboard.

Even though the computer was unbelievably slow, I had grown extremely close to it ever since I lost my old computer. It was, I admit, kinda crappy, but since I had carried over my ATi Radeon 9600 graphics card from my old computer and put it into the now-deceased one, I was proud that it could successfully run LFS and Soldier Front (a different game, an FPS). Even if it was just barely making it.

All of my installs of LFS, all of my LFS downloads, addons, everything - it's all gone. Much, much more important though, I had files on that computer dating back from my 5th/6th grade years, tons and tons of pictures, text files, programs, movies, and videos I myself had created back last year.

The computer was one of those things you just don't know why you love so much. It had a lot of centimental value to me. And now, it's gone.

[/rant]
#2 - sam93
Bet your gutted, have you found the problem with it yet or is it completley broke if it isnt completely broke are you going to repair it.
Why you love your computer?

It has nothing of it's own, just pre-programmed bits and assembly line manufactured waste of planet's natural resources. Everything it contains came from your actions, so why you love it?

EDIT: Oh, you miss the data and not the plastic itself. Well my post is still valid.
#4 - SamH
If you have a CD burner, try putting the HD, wrapped in kitchen towel, in a plastic bag and placing it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Put it back in your PC and quickly try copying files off it (or onto another network PC). Yeah, it sounds stupid, but it can work.

One of my Maxtor HDs has begun to die today, too. I'm copying files off it right now. I hate Maxtor.
No, it doesn't have a CD burner. My dad's has 3 though, but I doubt he's gonna try that.

I'm waiting for him to come home so we can start disassembling it. We're gonna see if we can transplant any parts of it into another extra computer we have lying around..
same happened to me.... like 2 weeks ago, my pc wont start windows, i lost everything.....
Come on guys...how many times have you been told...

BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE THIS HAPPENS!!

Sure beats learning the hard way!
You're right, am getting an external HDD in the near future, for now i'm copying rfactor/lfs addons on dvd.
-
(andy29) DELETED by andy29
To the OP: Plug the hard drive into another PC and retrieve the data. Odds are, the drive is dying but right now all that's broken is the bit with Windows on. I've done this more times than I care to count, your data probably isn't lost yet.
Well my dad managed to fiddle around with it.. Turns out all 160 gigabytes of the Maxtor primary hard drive was completely fine, except the boot sector..

He grabbed an old Western Digital 60 GB drive lying around and hooked that up as the master HD, installed Windows XP on it, and added the original Maxtor back on as an extra drive. All my stuff was there. YAY! Now I'm not depressed anymore!!

Plus, there's still plenty of room left on the Maxtor. Add to that the 9 GB backup drive I was using strictly for a single, performance-oriented install of LFS, and I'm good to go.

I love my dad.

:P
atleast you were not harjun'd

EDIT damn.. somebody already did the joke :S

Quote from Mikkel Petersen :also known as "getting harjuned".

wow.. Harjun is going to be a famous guy in the Lfsforums..

And Harjun'd is getting a official word in lfsforums

hmmm.. is it something like owned?

EDIT : but my sig is orginal!
#15 - DeKo
The putting the HDD in the freezer technique is a legitimate way of getting data, tried it myself and worked like a charm.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :wow.. Harjun is going to be a famous guy in the Lfsforums..

And Harjun'd is getting a official word in lfsforums

hmmm.. is it something like owned?

EDIT : but my sig is orginal!

Kind of...

Harjun'd (adj) - To fail by acting in a way that contradicts all sound advice given at the time. To pwn oneself.
Quote from Origamiboy :Kind of...

Harjun'd (adj) - To fail by acting in a way that contradicts all sound advice given at the time. To pwn oneself.

You wrote the definition incorrectly. By your definition, the word should be just "Harjun", and it would be a verb

Correction:

Harjun [har-juhnd]
-verb

1. The act of failing by acting in a way that contradicts all sound advice given at the time. To pwn oneself.

-adjective

1. Of, or pertaining to, an idiot.

I don't mean this, of course. Just a little humor is all..
Quote from Mithras :You wrote the definition incorrectly. By your definition, the word should be just "Harjun", and it would be a verb

Correction:

Harjun [har-juhnd]
-verb

1. The act of doing something idiotic so as to relate closely to Harjun.

-adjective

1. Of, or pertaining to, an idiot.

I don't mean this, of course. Just a little humor is all..

And that is why you'll never see me writing a dictionary any time soon...

RIP my computer (rant)
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG