The online racing simulator
Realistic intake/exhaust?...
(74 posts, started )
Well I was watching some WRC videos today and it got me thinking, anti-lag on those scuubys is rather helpful. Think that would help the XRT? It's obvious it's based on a slightyl BPU'd plain sports car. Anti-lag if getting serious would be an idea IRL. It would help the gawd-awful spooling time of the turbo charger, think they may need to rework that a little...

A little more 'eye candy' idea would be to have the exhaust bend and compress when bottoming out (seeing as the exhaust on all the cars, except the S2 slick cars?) thus changing the exhaust note.
~Bryan~
I hope, you know that XRT is not a WRC car
Anti-lag not sensible on a road based car. A smaller turbo would be a better option.

In normal racing/driving the exhaust won't bottom out. And if it did, I think it would be a bit more serious than a bend you won't see and a noise you won't hear...

Both are a waste of Scawen's precious time.
Obviously I knew the XRT wasn't a WRC car, I'm just saying it was watching WRC that put anti-lag into my head. A smaller turbo for the XRT? You don't need a big turbo to get 12psi...A properly tuned turbo-setup shouldn't have 'bad' lag like the XRT has.
~Bryan~
Reasonable turbocharger physics would be the best idea.

edit: Not to sound ungrateful... at least we have turbocharger modelling at all. One day it will be better.

I guess you could argue that the XRT looks like an 80s car, for which the current model isn't THAT far off in most areas. It's still somewhat bogus though.

Search for a thread called Boost Modelling Questions that I started ages ago, there was a good discussion about it there.
I don't know much about Turbo's.. but talking of Turbo's always reminds me of Performance Diesels... how cool would it be to have a diesel.
#7 - herki
Quote from BlueFlame :I don't know much about Turbo's.. but talking of Turbo's always reminds me of Performance Diesels... how cool would it be to have a diesel.

"It's a diesel - it's uncool"
Besides Scawen isn't really interested in putting a diesel in lfs.

more on-topic: anti-lag would be a nice thing to have when we get the RBR
#8 - ajp71
AFAIK no circuit racing cars run rally style anti-lag systems because it's no where near as big an issue on a race track.
the xrt is supposed to be a road car (if anyone starts with setup options ill punch him) and anti lag is something youll never see on the road first and foremost because its a quick way to bring an engine to its knees and secondly because it wouldnt pass noise regulations
it cant be a real road car with all the setup options COME ON! PUNCH ME! BRING IT ON!!:chairs:
The only car that COULD do with a ALS is the RB4. Some WRC homologation cars (Celica GT4 ST205) have it.
But then, why bother.
-
(Ball Bearing Turbo) DELETED by Ball Bearing Turbo : waited too long
Quote from Shotglass :the xrt is supposed to be a road car (if anyone starts with setup options ill punch him) and anti lag is something youll never see on the road first and foremost because its a quick way to bring an engine to its knees and secondly because it wouldnt pass noise regulations

My view is that the XRT is currently a Group N car on road tires, seeing as that's far closer to what people end up driving than a true modified road car

Despite this I think the inclusion of an anti-lag system would not be realistic because there may be difficulties getting it without building homologation specials and there isn't really a great need for it.
Anti-lag doesn't harm the engine (much), it's the turbo and exhaust that get the full beating. WRC cars change turbos and exhausts whenever possible.
Quote from herki :"It's a diesel - it's uncool"
Besides Scawen isn't really interested in putting a diesel in lfs.

more on-topic: anti-lag would be a nice thing to have when we get the RBR

Audi R10. That car is NOT Uncool. Seat Léon TDi? nope.. thats Cool too.
Truck racing... That would be cool, then I would be happy with diesel truck engines
is anti-lag the same as launch control? several programmable engine management systems have the latter now (motec etc), and the new porsche gt2 will have it from the factory.
Quote from evilgeek :is anti-lag the same as launch control?

No. Although I suspect anti-lag could be used with launch control.
What ever the heck this anti lag thing is, the XRR needs it. GOD the turbo lag is bad on that car.
Quote from word. :What ever the heck this anti lag thing is, the XRR needs it. GOD the turbo lag is bad on that car.

If you had read this whole thread, you'd know that race cars don't usually have anti-lag, and would propably agree that better turbo modelling would be a better way to fix XRR's lag.
Quote from BlueFlame :Audi R10. That car is NOT Uncool. Seat Léon TDi? nope.. thats Cool too.
Truck racing... That would be cool, then I would be happy with diesel truck engines

R10 isn't cool. And neither is ANY seat EVER.

If you turned up at Kristen Scott Thomas's house in either of those cars she's double lock and bolt the door. And we all know that KST is the defining factor for cool cars
The episode when she was a guest was cringingly funny.

Best way to deal with turbo lag is to add a smaller turbo which will cut in quicker, to deal with low RPM's and have the main bigger turbo to deal with the high end revs.
Quote from word. :What ever the heck this anti lag thing is, the XRR needs it. GOD the turbo lag is bad on that car.

no no no _no_
the xrr is a gt car ... an endurance car
fitting a system that will wreck the engine (with the mainfold and turbo considered as parts of it) in no time is not something youd contemplate in a 24h machine

Quote from tristancliffe :And we all know that KST is the defining factor for cool cars

only if youre a middle/old aged man that looks like a pot bellied pig (which is probably the reason why you need to rely on somebody elses oppinion on whats cool)
Quote from tristancliffe :R10 isn't cool. And neither is ANY seat EVER.

If you turned up at Kristen Scott Thomas's house in either of those cars she's double lock and bolt the door. And we all know that KST is the defining factor for cool cars

My thoughts exactly.
Even if KST isn't the defining factor for cool cars, a diesel can't be a cool car for me, and god I HATE the R10 with a passion...
Diesels are hyped way too much anyway.
Well after reviewing the thread, and doing some reading. You make a lot of good points, I never really thought as the XRT as a straight up "road" car, it seems to handle too well, and just perform too well. It really seems like its the actually modeling of the turbo, like all you have said earlier. Iirc, I could rev the XRT to 8~ grand and still not have boost pressure, and taking off smoothly (no wheel spin) the turbo won't get full boost untill high up in first, which is wayy to long for a small turbo on a proper exhaust. 12psi isn't even asking much really...
~Bryan~
Quote from Shotglass :no no no _no_
the xrr is a gt car ... an endurance car
fitting a system that will wreck the engine (with the mainfold and turbo considered as parts of it) in no time is not something youd contemplate in a 24h machine

Although it must be said that making a 2litre turbo GTR endurace racing car is not a wise decision either.

(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG