The online racing simulator
The "favorite music" thread
(32 posts, started )
Hey all

In relation to this thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=3930
I'd like to start another more general thread in which you can tell us about your favorite music genres. I'd really like to know what music you're into, as (consuming) music is a very important thing for me.
Personally, I really enjoy getting lost in the music and sometimes doing nothing but listening to some complicated, tricky and sophisticated stuff that gets you thinking and is able to deeply move you.

For me, it's mainly (Progressive) Metal, some alternative stuff and a mixture of many different Metal/Rock genres. The most important and my absolute favorites being:

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
(as well as almost any other album from DT )
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
Pain Of Salvation - Be
Pain Of Salvation - One Hour By The Concrete Lake
Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
Shadow Gallery - Room V
Kamelot - Epica
Kamelot - Karma
Kamelot - The Black Halo

There's many many many more albums I like a lot (many other genres among those I like), however those above are the most essential ones. I think it's also worth mentioning the two albums of "Liquid Tension Experiment" (side project of Dream Theater), which is basically the experiment "what can 5 musicians accomplish with only 1 week of studio time?". It's absolutely amazing if you like good and creative (!!) music and if you can live without a singer and lyrics

Now it's your turn: what are your favorites?

biggie
"The Smurfs Go Pop" - The Smurfs
"Push the beat for this Jam" - Scooter
"The Smurfs Go Pop, Again" The Smurfs
Quote from sinbad :"The Smurfs Go Pop" - The Smurfs
"Push the beat for this Jam" - Scooter
"The Smurfs Go Pop, Again" The Smurfs

Do you know "Schnappi"? You are gonna love that, I promise
Mostly classic / hard rock. Favourite bands being AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. AC/DC is something special: 30 years of pure rock 'n roll and still going strong. If I had to choose three albums to take with me to a desert island: Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction, AC/DC's Powerage and Back In Black.

Last.fm (ex-Audioscrobbler.com) link: http://www.last.fm/user/caporegime. It's a nice plugin for Winamp which stores "statistics" what you're playing.

Most of the nowaday's music is unbelievable crap. Especially hiphop. I get an awful headache after listening two minutes to some (s)hit music radio. illepall
Quote from deggis :[...]three songs to take with me to a desert island:

Well, for me it would be:
Dream Theater - The Great Debate
Pain Of Salvation - Nihil Morari
A Perfect Circle - The Outsider

But then again, this choice of songs is actually random. There's so many more of these bands on the same extremely high level

Quote from deggis :Most of the nowaday's music is unbelievable crap. Especially hiphop. I get an awful headache after listening two minutes to some (s)hit music radio. illepall

I agree. Making money is still the driving power with most of the recent so called "stars"... sometimes there's a catchy tune on the charts which is fun for a maximum of one week, but after that it just gets boring and you can't stand that tune anymore. Most of the recent stuff is simple crap, streamlined and shaped to fit a standard which almost everyone can "tolerate". The main purpose of this music is to be used as background noise or humming/whistling accompaniment anyway. Seriously: who would ever get their headphones, sit back and dedicate their listening to chart music anyway? There's just not enough depth in it, that's simply not what it's been made for. It's been created to reach the broadest audience possible while the music I'm into aims for a very special niche market. You could never sell that music to a broader audience...
But there's the main difference: those bands don't make their music to sell to the biggest audience possible. They make their music because it's a part of them and it's coming from their soul. It's a pure expression of their very individual creativity... and some people really have a beautiful sense for that
I'm not saying this does apply to ALL the singers/artists on the charts, but to most of them anyway...

I've found that the music I'm into requires a lot more time to get "used to". In the beginning you don't quite get the hang of it. But the more you listen, the better it gets. The reward is that it almost never gets boring and you'll have much more of a lasting experience from it.
That's how I define good music: being a piece of art which never gets boring and keeps surprising and amazing you even after the 50th time you listen to it. Anybody with me on this?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I listen to all kinds of music, almost. There is good music in many genres, hip hop, metal, trance, classical..

I don't bother writing my favorite bands/songs here because they change so often

Here is a link to my last.fm profile, if you really want to know
http://www.last.fm/user/geeman
Quote from thisnameistaken :No offense, but I find metal pretty predictable and boring.

Let me give you one simple equation:

Metal != Metal

Talking about Limp Bizkit, Slipknot (Nu-Metal, Hardcore) and whatever you happen to know, this is not the Metal I'm talking about. There's about as many varieties in Metal as in every musical genre. The only thing that defines "Metal" at all is the (extensive) usage of guitars. However, there's so many genres that do not sound alike at all.
You should maybe try listening to DT's "The Great Debate" for a start, it's really unusual and definitely NOT predictable (mind you, it's 14 minutes long)
Pain Of Salvation and A Perfect Circle I wouldn't even categorize as Metal. These are not exactly heavy but more intelligent and very diversified. It's more "pure music", art and creativity than it is Metal.
My music taste is pretty limitless, I enjoy many different forms, I would guess you could probably pigeon hole it as "Indie".
I dont like noisy, unmelodic metal, you know the shouty shouty angry monkey type, also alot of rap is pointless, and dance music is for clubs.
At the moment I am listening to....

Sigur Ross - Takk (Highly recommended)
Snow Patrol
Editors
Maximo Park
Fall out boy
Arcade Fire
New Order
Funeral for a friend
Bloc Party
Doves

Plus probably loads more different stuff.

Dan.
Not any special order:

Black metal/dark metal/goth metal/death metal/noise:
Hypocrisy
Immortal
Kovenant
Cradle of filth

old rock'n'roll/folk/...music
Jimmie lee Maslon
John Fogerty
Johnny Brunette
Bob Dylan
Beatles

Heavy metal/power rock/heavy rock/hard rock/rock/stone:
Judas Priest
Deep Purple
Kiss
AC/DC

Misc:
Marilyn Manson
Devin Townsend
Sophie Zelmani
Madonna

And some artists no one (or some) has heard of:
Mokoma
Sentenced
Viikate
Mariska
Pelle Miljoona
Miljoonasade
Kent

And sometimes some classic music and melodic rap/hiphop but never techno or any repetitive chart music
And probably forgot a lot good ones. And I never listen to radio

EDIT: damn you deggis and Bob Smith
Quote from Hyperactive :Heavy metal:
Deep Purple
AC/DC

Wrong category (hard rock would be closer).

Ok, music genre masturbating is stupid and I just did that.
Nirvana
Pink Floyd
Metallica

Paul Oakenfold
Deggis - I'd hardly call Kiss metal either.

Biggie - no Opeth/Tool?

I'm currently listening to Powerman 5000... I find it hard to pick favourites, but if it's loud and rocks hard, I generally like it (over the top stuff like Slipknot/Mudvayne or Cradle Of Filth/Cannibal Corpse excluded). I think Old Man's Child is the heaviest stuff I like.

But I like softer stuff too, such as Presidents of the USA or ZZ Top. Real instruments are a must. Oh and gothic/symphonic metal is great too. And I've been to blues festivals and enjoyed them, some great guitar solos...

I'm curious, where do people go out that plays decent music? Everywhere here is dance, hip hop or pop - god damn commercial poo.

Another audioscrobbler user: http://www.last.fm/user/TheRealBobSmith/
ello

well i like listening to

Buckcherry
Tantric
AC/DC hell yeah!!!!!!
Foo fighters
bit of Feeder
at present listening to Opeth
Kabát - czech band
Audioslave

so on and so on....
Quote from Bob Smith :Biggie - no Opeth/Tool?

Oh yes, Bob! I'm loving Opeth's Damnation album. It's so quiet and calm, very nice to chill out. Still it doesn't have that happy-jumpy flair but creates kind of a "dimmed" mood...
Blackwater Park is kinda cool too, even though I'm not so much into growling. But it's quite subdued on that album, you can try to ignore it. That's also what I like more about Damnation. Some nice singing there you can actually enjoy

About Tool: well yes, I also like Tool. However, I never had a complete album, I should better buy some
Anyways, did you know Tool's and A Perfect Circle's frontman are actually the same person? Yes, it's Maynard James Keanan. Some weird but interesting guy he is
Imo, "A Perfect Circle" are the better Tool. Their music is just so tight, emotional and athmospherically dense, it's unreal. They have the feel and melody Tool sometimes seems to lack.
Check this live performance (even though it's kind of a crime to pick one song out of the concept album and let it stand on its own ): http://boss.streamos.com/real/ ... 300.ram?siteid=artistsite
Quote from Bob Smith :Deggis - I'd hardly call Kiss metal either.

Yup but on the other hand "heavy metal" is not even metal, more like 80's rock.
Ok in no order, and I won't classify any into meaningless genres either:

ELO
Toto
Chicago
Daft Punk
The Who
Supergrass
REO Speedwagon
Fleetwood Mac
The Eagles
Depeche Mode
The Clash
Thin Lizzy
Def Leppard
I dunno, maybe it's cause of all those years taking guitar lessons,
But I like all kinds a crap. Everthing from George Clinton and P-Funk
to Korn to Patsy Cline.

To be honest though, I really like STP, Soundgarden, and other more
rock oriented type stuff.
I agree Tool is weird stuff, and in comparison it makes APC more mainstream (although on the whole they are better, since every track is a song, rather than a weird combination of interludes, talking, bizzare sound effects... and the odd song). Lateralus is a solid buy though.

Quote from deggis :Yup but on the other hand "heavy metal" is not even metal, more like 80's rock.

I think that's more to do with the evolution of heavy music - what was considered heavy metal in the 80s would be quite middle-ground now.

Oh yeah, big up Finntroll.
I said it in the other thread, it's Pink Floyd. Floyd consumes about 90% of my listening. There's something about David Gilmore's guitar, it isn't just music, it's like a story in it's self. His solos in Comfortably Numb, Sorrow, On the Turning Away, Shine on you Crazy Diamond, they are all breathtaking. Even though I was introduced to Comfortably Numb for the first time 15 years ago or so in an "altered" state of mind, hehe, I still listen to it almost daily. I would love to learn to play the guitar just to learn this solo. As for other music, I'm with the other classic rock guy. Metallica is my 2nd on top. Tied for 3rd would be Zepplin and Kiss. Those are I'd have to say the all time best and most tallented of the classic rock era. Well, Metallica isn't really classic rock, but... For the rest that gets good marks, AC/DC, Hendrix, The Who, GnR, Def Leppard, Queensryche, and many more.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#21 - tpa
I love Hip Hop

"Atmosphere" probably is my favorite englisch hip hop crew, while "Blumentopf" is my favorite german crew. The are dozens more though, that are awesome
Quote from tpa :I love Hip Hop

"Atmosphere" probably is my favorite englisch hip hop crew, while "Blumentopf" is my favorite german crew. The are dozens more though, that are awesome

Me too! Though I mostly listen to danish hiphop artists. Funny that you mention Atmosphere as I listen to a lot of "Jedi Mind Tricks" and "Non Phixion" there's not that big difference between the 3 crews.
foriegn beggars anyone??

i spread myself far to wide to list everything...led zeplin, common, arman van helden(sp?) nat king cole, franky blue eyes(sinatra) etc, i listen to what i like, and if i dont like it, i dont listen, but there is only a few types of music that i would say are crap. apart from those, i just let people get on with what they like, as chances are, they prob think some of my musical tastes are a bit dodgy.
Just a selection, can't remember everything to list
Metallica
Iron Maiden
The Clash
Def Leppard
Black Sabbath
Aerosmith
Guns N' Roses
Dream Theater
AC/DC

Few there
Is many others, mainly on compilation CDs etc
#25 - JTbo
Demoscene, mostly Chip music, then something like Move - Fly me higher, is that Anime or J-Pop or what I don't know. I don't like slow music, also I don't like music that involves singing, exception is that Move and alike music.

I don't usually remember song names or artists as it means nothing to me, only important thing is that music sounds good and is not disturbing at all.

I can stand rap, classical (Mozart) etc. but if singer starts to yell like some Scooter or what it was called, I say good bye in that very moment.

So music is not very important for me, when driving I don't listen music at all, if engine is not counted as music :P

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG