The online racing simulator
40 less FPS than before ?
(19 posts, started )
#1 - Rikje
Hey guys,

Well I lately I have strange "problems" with LFS. For some reason I can't get more than 60 fps in LFS on Single Player. A few days ago I could easily hit 200. I already checked if I didn't limit LFS to 60 but that isn't the case. I also haven't changed any other settings.

Could anyone help me out on this one ?

Rikje
Check V-sync, turn it off, or leave it on. 60fps is nothing to worry about, that extra 40 won't do much anyways.
~Bryan~
#3 - Rikje
Quote from dropin_biking :Check V-sync, turn it off, or leave it on. 60fps is nothing to worry about, that extra 40 won't do much anyways.
~Bryan~

I know it doesn't really matter much bit it's quite strange that suddenly you get 40 fps less than you get before. I installed Fraps the other day, could that be the problem ?
#4 - Jakg
Turn off V-Sync, like Bryan said.
#5 - Rikje
Problem fixed , thanks folks
jesus, i run at 30fps all the time, and i thought that was normal!!!
#7 - knk
lol what is v-sync i have that same problem and i have 10 fps so i cant even play lfs can some one help me .
i get 20 fps lol what is v sync i want to know how to improve my fps
Uh...yeah v-sync 'limits' the framerate to the monitors refresh rate. It's not some magic feature that improves your fps. If your getting 10fps turn your settings down...
~Bryan~
Quote from knk :lol what is v-sync i have that same problem and i have 10 fps so i cant even play lfs can some one help me .

Sounds like thats your PC mate.

and uh, I don't think you can set vsync rate thingy at 10mhz. That'd be stupid and dumb.

Vsync is (iirc) how much the screen will refresh or whatever. (i'm confused already) which will stop the "tearing" between frames. (if you've played moto gp 06 on a 360 you'll know what I mean)

Generally, if your FPS is being capped at 50, 60, 70, 75 or even 100 sometimes, thats because your Vsync is set at that setting(relevent to the fps)

#11 - knk
yea my fps used to be passed 30fps and all of a sudden it went down to 10 or even lower and i didnt touch anything i think it might be my cpu i might have overloaded it or something i have v-sync off but still around 10
Does it move at all? Because there is an option in-game to cap fps at whatever you life (some use it over v-sync) You could check that to see if it's at 10, but if it jumps around 10 then it could be just a hardware/software problem.
~Bryan~
#13 - knk
it jumps around and its like it goes to 20 then it jumps to like 1.4 like that so its wierd nut i want to know whats the problem it might be my cpu or my mother board i know its not my graphics card so thats what im wondering
No mate thats your cruddy pc if I'm honest. Post the specs please.
I bet you my wake n' bake joint that it's just some process eating up all your CPU usage, or a similar problem. Take a look in the process tab of task manager, anything using unusually large amounts of memory or CPU power?
~Bryan~
#16 - knk
i guess my system cache is using alot its using 643592 so i dont know if thats alot or not abd usally my cpu ussage goes like up to 100% when i just open the internet exploer i think that pretty high but idk its an old cpu i might get a core 2 duo
IE using 100% isn't normal. I have a REALLY shitty Intel Celeron running 2.6ghz (118mhz fsb) With IE, Firefox, msn, WMP, and a few downloads going my CPU usage hangs around the 20-30% mark. Then again, I have no more then 24~ processes going at the same time.
~Bryan~
#18 - Gunn
Even if you are getting 10fps try turning vsync off and see what result you get.
V-Sync means vertical synchronisation and is used to draw frames at the same rate as your monitor builds up the screen. In general this is the best way to draw motion on a screen without tearing the image. A Cathode Ray Tube (glass tube monitor) builds up a picture with a single dot going blazingly fast from left to right, drawing line after line until it reaches bottom right and starts all over again at top-left. Just explained how a single frame is drawn. Usually this will happen at least 60 times in one second. To the naked eye this is 'almost' impossible to notice. At 60Hz a noticable flickering will make you tired very fast though since your brain has to deal with that phenomenon. That's why we like to use higher refreshrates like 75/85/100 Hz etc.

When not synching frames, it occasionally happens a frame is put out a bit earlier/later than your screen starts building up the image resulting in chopped pictures. This is hardly noticable to someone not familiar with these basics but this tearing of frames is very noticable when seeing horizontal motions. The top half of the screen could be seen out of alignment compared to the bottom half of the screen. The faster the horizontal movement of ingame graphics, the greater the difference between top/bottom parts of the picture and the more noticable the tearing gets. It also won't tear exacly in the middle of the screen, but will roll up or down depending on the difference the framerate has to the refreshrate.

To make my statement more clear, V-sync ON gives a better result to the eye by drawing frames the way they are supposed to be drawn. Synced frames also seem more smooth then unsynced frames, dispite the fact less frames are drawn. Squeezing 200 frames per second into 60 frames seems wrong. So why bother just 60 frames are drawn if your screen does not write more frames in the first place? Maybe to someone things are starting to make more sense now.

For benchmarking etc. you don't want to use any syncronisation since you don't want your monitor to interfere with the outcome of a score.

But after all this explaining, there are some tiny disatvantages of v-sync after all. It takes a little bit of time to syncronize, this is done by pre-rendering some frames before they are actually drawn. A hardly noticable lag occurs by this and the amount of frames being drawn ahead is configurable. Common options are double-buffer / tripple-buffer.
Also, what to do when the framerate in-game drops below 60fps when having a 60Hz refreshrate? The only solution is to drop to 30fps instantly when using double buffer since it only takes measures of two. Tripple buffer allows for synched frames at all sorts of framerates but gives more lag.

When a game runs at 200+fps constantly, the best thing to have would be something like 100hz refreshrate with a double buffered v-Sync. Very close to the most smoothest framerate you will ever experience in a game, a real treat to the eye. If you haven't experienced this once you really missed something It's so much better then having no v-sync at all. I used to play games like Quake2 with Voodoo2's at such settings, it's almost surreal how smooth things went. IMHO, the time of the smoothest gameplay ever, nowadays a lot of new games suffer from absurd loads/peaks/stalls becouse of inefficient use of recourses and bad programming. Anyway, things always seem better in the past

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG