The online racing simulator
An Absolutely Brilliant Idea :)
(37 posts, started )
#26 - Goop
I thought you 'got wheel' Tak....??

Seems like a decent idea, though I haven't moused since demo
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :whether the wheel clicks or not its still digital..

Yes, but it can still act like an anologue if done right.
+1 here, I think it's a great idea.

I regularly use a mouse and any further options made available to control your car would be welcome.
I'd rather see x axis for steering, y axis for throttle and brake assigned to a button - having tried the combined y axis for throttle / brake I can not consistantly brake in a straight line (or in the adequate direction). This would also solve the left fott braking issue.
But it does not seem possible to implement. Carry on tapping!
Quote from Goop :I thought you 'got wheel' Tak....??

Seems like a decent idea, though I haven't moused since demo

i did but the wheel itself started spiking back to the mouse!!! lol i still use the pedals though
Quote from Electrik Kar :I don't think using the mouse to accel/brake is actually really a good idea, if you're using it for steering as well, now that I think of it... dunno. Will test later.

I tried it, but it was no improvement over normal mouse control. The point is that when you brake at the end of a straight, you must move the mouse downward quickly (from 100% throttle to 100% brake). When doing so, you must not move the mouse sideways, otherwise the car becomes unstable and spins. That's very hard to do. I found it easier to have throttle and brake under a button.
Good idea.
Customizing the clicks to throttle percentage - 1 click to 50% / 2 for 100% would be ideal. You'd want to be able to keep your finger on the roller the whole time for the fastest response. Say you had it configured for 5 clicks to 100% - you'd have to lift your finger, bring it back and keep rolling. It doesn't seem that influential, but when races depend on milliseconds, it may throw your whole game off.

+1

Agree fully with wsinda though.
#33 - col
Why not use a third party app - or write one ?

There are numerous controller converter apps available - most are of the gamepad 2 mouse variety, but there are some aimed at flight sim folks that let you use a mouse as a 'yoke'... and others that provide loads of options (the super powerful ones are usually crippled shareware though).

Please do some searching and try out some of these options before asking for niche functionality in LFS
Quote from danowat :I thought you could currently use the mouse to push up and down to give analog accel and brake?, is this not the cases?

You could with RACER, but it was a nightmare trying to late brake and get into corners with you SPAMMING the mousemat.

I think its a great idea. Although, maybe the devs could set the throttle controls for 'kb/mouse' and give and option for the 'step-by-step' throttle and brake. You could just tap it, and you can see the pedals in the bottom right side, if you have that enabled.
BRILLIANT.

I've been a mouser since the first day I ever started LFSing, and I've been dying for some kind of way to precisely control the throttle position..
#37 - wark
-1 there could be better improvements, and I'd list some again, but Scawen has said he has no interest in doing anything more for mouse users as "it's just something to tide you over till you get a proper wheel."

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG