The online racing simulator
Racing/Driving School brainstorming
Right, there are other threads about this but this is more of an application thread and here is my question.

What would you, as a driver, want in a racing school? Subjects covered, theories explained, passing techniques. Any idea is welcome =) Format?

1: Surviving T1

Edited 13sep07 1938
learn to survive T1
There are so many things people have tried with a racing school.... but have they ever succeeded? So many ideas, and so much time involved to teach people something (especially ONE trainee), there are just too many drivers to go around that need help with driving.

To be honest, I see the best way of learning by self-practice and just instructional videos. I know some people have made videos, and they were instructional at best, but not very complete for any particular area of teaching.

There is lots to cover when it comes to training, and videos are easiest for everyone. Don't waste time and energy on trying to do live instruction with other drivers, it is just too difficult. Drivers need to learn on their own time, in Singleplayer/Hotlapping to become a consistent driver, as well practice with a medium-sized grid online. Because there are so many situations in racing that you just CANNOT do by "simulation" on your own server. You have to put a driver into the mess of racing and let them learn from there. Real driving schools do this a lot... just countless free-for-all runs. Though they do also tune 2 of the same cars, with one being a bit slower so they can practice overtaking.

Also, to learn, you need to make sure you teach people not to choose ONE car to "love". Players need to try new things so they understand all kinds of cartypes and how they go about controlling them. Otherwise, they will just be a typical amateur that only chooses one car (eg FOX), and cannot even drive an XRG quick enough.

Best way I learned back in S1 was by choosing a car that was the hardest and most difficult. The LX6. I stuck with learning that car for months on end, all by myself, up until I got my first World Record, I knew the practice had payed off. Then I went and beat one of Flotch's RB4 rally records on my first couple tries. It shocked me, but I knew I was getting faster. Then the MRT came out, and that was a very good training tool for racing side-by-side online. I'd choose a program such as this... Start with a hard car a driver dislikes using, become fast in it, try it online against other drivers..., then start with a new car.
Thanks Tweak =) This is a tough one to be sure. There have been many schools and none of them really kicked off. I do like the idea of video's and I have been mulling over it. I guess I will have to my video making software out again. Training video's is by far the most time efficient. I would also like to add in some 'live' training too.
I think an instructional website complimented with videos would be a great start, and that could cover all or most of the theory. Then you could hold track days with coaching through TS or similar for initial familiarisation with racing and LFS. Followed by track days that then focus on one or two particular aspects each time.

But that would be a mighty big project but quite rewarding too I guess

Maybe it could be incorperated into getting an CTRA lic and there for be aimed at and based on the CTRA server content. With some form of assesment and certificate on complition. It could be an option that you have to have passed the course assesment in addition to having enough points to get a silver license.

You could have full courses for newbies and refresher courses for drivers that recieve bans.
1) Slow in - Fast out
2) Trail braking
3) Overtaking
Another thing to realize is that a lot of people that play this game are not quick learners, nor do they have the 'greatest' skill in learning how-to race properly. Or just not natural to driving a car. It all comes down to car control, and face it, there just aren't 'tons' of decent drivers to go around in racing simulations. Many people like the game, love cars, but they don't really have the greatest intention of racing properly, they have their own style. Not being told they are doing it 'wrong' is another problem, so you cannot really find the people that need help --- The people that need help, come for help... because they know their racing can improve. A very small percentage of players online actually feel this way I am sure, and they'd love to have such a school. But there are tons of others that just want the game to play, and go racing how they see fit. Or even if they cannot control a car and cause a nightmare on a server without knowing they are doing something bad

Such a school would really improve people's racecraft, that is what you should teach. You really just cannot instruct someone how-to DRIVE properly without being there in person in my opinion. Telling someone the steps to take a corner, it just puts a complex checklist in their head, and they don't focus on the simple things. You are just better off having a trainee get behind the wheel and practice practice practice. Maybe even on a difficult Auto-X course, so they learn better car control at times when they need it most (e.g. sudden oversteer).
Get them all on the CTRA B and J server, you have a range of cars including LX's the Combo's are fun and the racing is generally close and fair with no worries about the odd bump here or there, also you have the benefit of the licence system with points given freely to the new racers and get decisively harder the higher up the ladder you go.

It's an ideal learning ground to learn car control as before the CTRA started up I had never driven any of the rear wheel drive cars or LX's and now I am competent enough to take what I have learnt in these cars into league races and all this was done in 6 weeks

If you don't use this server the idea could be copied over into your own server.
Quote from CELTIC100 :

It's an ideal learning ground to learn car control as before the CTRA started up I had never driven any of the rear wheel drive cars or LX's and now I am competent enough to take what I have learnt in these cars into league races and all this was done in 6 weeks

Please note: Due to this self proclaimed LX skill, you will be able to see CELTIC100 show this off in the LX Bott round coming up soon
Only because the rest of the team are too sissy to drive it

From B and J to Bott Pwner as If
more things bout racecraft than racing as such and i like the idea
Thanks for the input I am still trying to work out all this in my head.

For Becky's sake I wish to say this is NOT CTRA putting this together. There is a possibility of CTRA bringing this onboard but I will need to show a level of competency before the green light is shown.

I had some ideas, some ideas I brought away from what others have said here and elsewhere. I won't devulge what I am going ahead with but it should provide some useful tools for racers to get a handle on racing techniques. I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon coming from this project. I do work full time
How to drive like Dustin in a GT2?

How to become a professional wrecker (like Dustin)?

What not to wear?

Just kidding Chris. I think something that would help is a setup pack, becuase most of my good times for the STCC, have been done due to one of your setups, that just feel good for a beginner, and are capable of quick times too.
i also recomend speaking to sparkydave boutsetups because his are just awesome too
How to keep the car in one piece at the start and T1?
One word foresight, look at everything, try to anticipate what the others (front and back) might do.
We've had this issue in R/L with motorcycle racing schools, in which I assist instruct.

We found large groups suck...better instruction is with one trainer and 2 students at most. Play follow the leader switching the lead bike every couple laps so the students can see the trainers lines and breaking markers, and he/she can see theirs and offer advice. Far more effective.

Of course for this to work in LFS, it would have to be top drivers that are willing to take on a couple students in on their own time; platinum license holders or STCC league racers, etc.

A good idea for those that need or want it.
-
(Viper93) DELETED by Viper93
Project is delayed until I can get another Raid stripe built. While I am getting a new mobo I decided to upgrade. Hopefully I can be running on my new computer here within a month or so.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG