The online racing simulator
skinable license-plates
(31 posts, started )
skinable license-plates
How about license-plate skins. Just like car skins in general. Maybe with size adjustment (choose 0x0 for no plate).
Been mentioned, but it's a good idea

(please search in future )
I think we should have a selection of local license plates from around the world, the way good old Motor City Online did. It's not quite customised, but it means at least everyone wouldn't have the same one.
Quote from danowat :Been mentioned, but it's a good idea

(please search in future )

I did a search and I looked thru the sticky, because I couldn't believe it wasn't mentioned before.

Quote from Dajmin :I think we should have a selection of local license plates from around the world, the way good old Motor City Online did. It's not quite customised, but it means at least everyone wouldn't have the same one.

Naaa. So everyone whose area isn't considered is not satisfied. You could always paint your local plate yourself.
I'm sure it wouldn't take much for the devs to add like a 16k .dds if anyone got missed out

And if you let people paint their plates you're risking even greater artisitc atrocities than we currently get with just skins. Imagine they had something else to clash with!
I think an optional country flag is indeed a good idea.
Skinning is fine in theory, but we all have seem some issues with it in practice (inappropriate images & words, skin stealing, etc).

Additionally bandwidth, however small, tends to build up in terms of cost.

Using a built in flag or country licence plates wouldn't cause this issue since they would ship with the game. They would also be "safe" in terms of content.
+1 for the flag, or better, a layout based on your nationality.
European layout, Uk layout (like now), and so on...
it sure would be handle to make your own country plates... or just make your plates random colors
and, They could just be part of the main skin files too...
They're fine just how they are. For once, we have a UK developed and published game, with UK orientated items (sure beats having no choice but to sit on the left as per most games). The license plates are just as they are on real cars.. why would you want to abuse them?

Removing them from the GTR spec cars goes without saying.. the road going cars are just fine.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Xpowaspa :and, They could just be part of the main skin files too...

That's the best option.

Well, not, not really. The best option would be to remove the plates on the race cars all together, but you get my point.
#13 - Gunn
I'd like them to be removed from the race cars. For the road cars I think they should be smaller, they seem quite large to me. Perhaps some countries have larger plates than what I'm used to seeing?
To add to this: There should be a checkbox under the color set to not show the license plate at all on that particular skin/color scheme. Mainly for the single seaters where it can mess up the look of the skin.
Quote from Shinomori :To add to this: There should be a checkbox under the color set to not show the license plate at all on that particular skin/color scheme. Mainly for the single seaters where it can mess up the look of the skin.

Last I looked, SS didn't have plates.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote from Gunn :I'd like them to be removed from the race cars. For the road cars I think they should be smaller, they seem quite large to me. Perhaps some countries have larger plates than what I'm used to seeing?

That's how they are over here for the most part (see attached), although you can also get ones that are almost square as predominantly seen on the back of bikes.

The laws here regarding number plates are _very_ strict.. letters need to be a required font / style, letters need to be of a certain thickness, gaps between letters and plate edges need to be a certain distance, likewise the gaps between the chars.. it's pretty damn stupid IMO, but there we go.

Regards,

Ian
Attached images
Merc-002.jpg
Merc-003.jpg
It's not THAT stupid, one of the reasons they are more strict now is due to the ANPR stuff, which is a good thing IMO, as it takes un-insured and un-tax cars off the road (well, in theory)
Quote from LFSn00b :http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=27132

may I say that - in this case - the search sucks?

Quote from Xpowaspa :and, They could just be part of the main skin files too...

thought about that too - it's probably the most ovious way. the downside is, you'd have to add the plate to every single skin... which is a bit nasty if you have 10 skins and you want to change your plate sometime. and what's with the standard skins and colors?

Quote from Ian.H :
The laws here regarding number plates are _very_ strict..

You can make your plates yourself in the UK, right? So do not talk about strictness .
Well, you can, but you are not supposed to, all new numberplates must have the postcode of the company who made them (or had them made up) to try and stop "ringing".
Quote from Bandit77 :

[ snip ]

You can make your plates yourself in the UK, right? So do not talk about strictness .

I used to.. and did many for friends too, along with other small car gfx. I used to carry 2 sets of plates, custom ones I'd done myself, and the originals and replaced the screws holding them on with velcro so that when (never an if) I got tugged by the ol' bill, I could just say "sorry occifer.. I'll change them now" and I was on my way in 2 mins.

These days though, things are silly. They even banned garages adding their name to the bottom of the plates at one point (not sure of the current state of play regarding that now) as it sometimes interfered with their money making gatso photos.

You'd be much harder pressed to find blank plates now too I think. I used to get mine from a small car accessory (not ricing, real accessories) for £6 the pair for the 2 coloured backings and 2 plastic faces.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from gohfeld23 :Last I looked, SS didn't have plates.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

They don't actually have plates, but the same text that would go on your plate on any other car is on the car where the driver's name would go.

Usually that's fine. Alot of the F1 liveries, for example, have logos there and it looks really bad w/ the text over the top of it.
So a little check to not show plate text on each skin would be nice.
Quote from Shinomori :They don't actually have plates, but the same text that would go on your plate on any other car is on the car where the driver's name would go.

Usually that's fine. Alot of the F1 liveries, for example, have logos there and it looks really bad w/ the text over the top of it.
So a little check to not show plate text on each skin would be nice.

If you leave the plate text empty, does LFS put in the generic "S2" on the SS?
As I don't really look at the cars from the outside while racing (at least not my own) I'm not sure what certain things look like (sad considering I've been racing LFS for a LONG time :shrug
I do think that having various countries in, provided the current ones are kept as "classic" would be a good idea .

I feel sure that if someone made a .DDS for a country Scawen would include it, like the languages.
hmm... we have 26 different number-plates. and the one for the front isn't the same as the one for the rear.
Quote from Bandit77 :hmm... we have 26 different number-plates. and the one for the front isn't the same as the one for the rear.

Lol yeah, I just thought about the standard U.S. plates and there's one for every state. This is besides the sports (NBA, NFL, etc) and special case plates.

I think a small flag will do just fine

skinable license-plates
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG