The online racing simulator
What is your ideal length race?
(72 posts, started )

Poll : What length races do you enjoy the most?

10 laps
30 mins
45 mins
60 mins
5 laps
15 laps
90 mins
2 hours or more
75 mins
What is your ideal length race?
I was interested to find out what the general consensus is in terms of the length of races drivers out there like. I'm not thinking so much about public servers as league races. The problem with long races in public servers is that most people crash out

Anyway, I've created this poll.

Our GFC (read more at http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=30984 and www.gentlefoot.com/LFS/forum) races are 75 minutes which I find very challenging but also not too bad in terms of back and wrist ache
I voted for 15 laps races, because I don't like endurance races too much. I can't really concentrate at the end
CTRA short races are comfortable
I would say between 30-45mins.

I did BOTT this weekend, which was about 1.5 hours, and TBH, it was a bit of a struggle, my poor old bones don't like sitting down for too long.
5 laps, I like those fast races, I can`t stand longer races.
CTRA is too long for me, but there is no other good servers for me so it`s the only choise for me.

One of the best things with short races is that if you get wrecked, it isn`t like waiting 20 min again to race.
I voted for 30 minutes. It's imo compromise between long races and sprints, lot of action can happen and race isn't boring, depending on what car you're racing with.

And +1 to Very End: CTRA races are too long for me, maybe Becky could add some feature, which changes race lenght from race to race, e.g. race 1@BL will have 5 laps and race 2 at the same track will have 8 laps.
But thats OT...
I really do like loong races, for several reasons.
Reality shows that in public races that extend over more than 30 minutes only a fraction of the starter field finish.
So, it really depends.
#7 - DeKo
the gfc races are the perfect length for me. Just enough endurance to make it challenging but not enough just to make it boring.
I'd say 30-45 minutes is good, though I rarely get those race lengths considering I only race in public servers.
Quote from Kid222 :I voted for 30 minutes.
And +1 to Very End: CTRA races are too long for me

Wait what? You're contradicting yourself here. Even 8 laps on Blackwood is just about 12 minutes, how can these be too long when you vote for 30 minute races as your ideal? Or do you mean the 30min just for leagues?
45 minutes, if possible with pit stop.
45-60 minutes is good for me. I like endurance races, but it's not like you are driving much longer than hour stints. I'd say 90 minutes would be the limit I could be on the wheel and race without problems.
After 20 minutes changes in position get a lot less frequent unless there is something in there to mix things up a bit, like a pit stop or a safety car.

I enjoy endurance racing, say 3 hours or more, but otherwise i'm happy with races of around 20 minutes.

Grand Prix distance (90 minutes) doesnt really work unless strategy and team work is a factor in the race.
I like the race to be long enough to be able to factor in tyre wear, pit strategy etc, to me it just adds a lot more to the racing. Therefore I went for 45 mins...
Voted 30 but 45 mins is just as good. Depends on the length necessary to facilitate the NEED for a pitstop, rather than just forcing one to spice things up (although it's a useful substitute in the low power cars).
I voted for 90 mins, but 75 mins in GFC is a great length of race for the FO8. The reason for this is that often the difference between non-stop and 1 stop strategy is so close. Most people stopped in the last race at KY GP Long, but at the race before at SO Long Rev either a one stop or non-stop strategy could have won.
5-10 is good for me.

im a master at toasting tires, so long races arent good for me
Quote from AndroidXP :
Wait what? You're contradicting yourself here. Even 8 laps on Blackwood is just about 12 minutes, how can these be too long when you vote for 30 minute races as your ideal? Or do you mean the 30min just for leagues?

Exactly, i mean, 30 mins is accurate length of league race for me.
But on public server is too long and i mostly get bored after 5-6 laps because of crashes=less people to race with and i want have fun here, not to fall asleep behind my wheel.
i will say 30 to 45 minutes...
I've gone for 90 minutes, there's an immense satisfaction in just finishing a race that long. I have to admit, the 75 minutes we have in the GFC is perfect for our league though. It means the FO8's can choose between one-stop or no stops and the FOX's all have to make one pitstop. Because the FOX can run for just under an hour on a full tank it gives us a pit window that usually lasts throughout the middle two quarters of the race so although we all pit once it still brings strategy onto the table.
10 lap sprints.
45-60 minutes is ideal, though I do love enduro racing.

I voted 60.
It depends, if it is a league about 50-60 minutes is ok, for a pick up server and race I like it to be for about 15-20 minutes.
10 laps (20 min.) w/ pitstops...

(GTR@AS National)

just 1, maybe 2 a day (I don't have much time)
+
weekends =D
45 mins is more than enough, an endurance race from time to time is good too.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Interesting so many people citing the fact that the field gets spread in longer races. It dosn't matter to me at all. I'm always looking at the splits between me and the driver in front and trying to close him down or maybe the splits between me and the driver behind me who may be closing me down. The pressure it creates can be a real buzz.

For example, I was forced to pit on lap 9 of a 38 lap race in the GFC at the weekend which put me almost last when I came out of the pits. So I had to push to try and make back as many points as possible. Always watching the gap to the cars in front and trying to close on them.

At other races I may find myself in the lead of the class because maybe a couple of the guys who are faster than me at that circuit have made mistakes. That is a really tough situation to be in when you can see the gap shrinking. At South City I picked up some damage and was hoping to make it to the end of the race without stopping. The gap closed...and closed...and closed. I got it wrong, I should have pitted sooner.

All this kind of excitement only happens in races of 45 mins or more. You may not make a single pass all race or not have to defend but it is still a total buzz.
#25 - Osco
depends on the combo for me..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG