The online racing simulator
a few beginner questions
(20 posts, started )
a few beginner questions
I recently moved to S2, and although I don't want to start racing any of the new cars yet online, I tried running one of the open wheel cars offline, and could not figure out how to shift past first gear. I know it's something stupid, but I could not find anything in the manual. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a league that I can join that accepts new players? I don't mind if I'm the lapped car on every race. I just want to gain experience. I can only commit to weekends because my work week is too unpredictable.

Is there a way to join up with an experienced driver and have that person take me through some simple laps and/or simple concepts, just to make sure I'm not starting off with bad habits?

Any advice, links, etc.. is appreciated.

Jeff
Um, make sure you have assigned a key or button to the gear shift in the options menu. I think with a keyboard the shift is S and X by default, although I might be wrong.

You can post up a replay on the board and the faster guys will take a look at it and give you some advice.
Quote from jscharpf :I recently moved to S2, and although I don't want to start racing any of the new cars yet online, I tried running one of the open wheel cars offline, and could not figure out how to shift past first gear. I know it's something stupid, but I could not find anything in the manual. What am I doing wrong?

If you are using a manual H-gate style shifter, you will have to assign just two buttons to up and down (change shift mode from "shifter" to "sequential"). The open wheelers have sequential boxes and so can only be operated in sequential mode. You are free to assign either a sequential stick, paddles or buttens of your choice, though.

If you're not, I'm not sure what else could be limiting you to first gear. Perhaps just double check you button mappings?
Many leagues accept new(er) racers.

As for "tutition", if you ever see me online, I would be happy to give you some pointers, I am not the best racer there is, but I am fair to middling
Thanks for the replies.

I believe that I have the shifter set up to be sequential. The momo has a stick shifter with a click forward and a click back. (The software sees these as buttons 8 and 9).
The shifter works fine for the "normal" cars. If I push forward it shifts up, if I pull back it shifts down.
I will look at my settings once again.

Thanks for the offer danowat! Over the last few days I've just been joining servers randomly, not really knowing what's going on.
I even joined a race yesterday but I was in the wrong car lol.. I thought I was doing ok because there were alot of open wheel crashers, until someone rammed me from behind.. Hopefully it was his fault

This game is very addicting. My 9 year old son has the demo version and he logs in to the car park and basically plays smash up derby.

Jeff
Just to be sure: Is there any chance, that you drove the MRT?
This one needs one downshift to get into first and then normal upshifts to get into higher gears. If that's not the problem, I got no idea..
change it to sequantial do shift+g
It could also be some clutch settings, check those too.

Quote from harjun :change it to sequantial do shift+g

Please think before posting. That is a) only temporary and b) already identified as not the problem.
...or maybe you still have the pit limiter on.
Quote from Sup3rm4n :...or maybe you still have the pit limiter on.

LOL That was it! DOH!

I feel pretty stupid

Jeff
Haha.
Quote from jscharpf :If I push forward it shifts up, if I pull back it shifts down.

Very interesting.

I have mine reversed. It seemed the only sensible way, and assumed everyone else thought the same. I never really thought about it much until I read this.
Well in real life you generally pull back to shift up and push forward to shift down, that way you're moving your arm with the g-forces, which makes shifting easier. Of course one of the benefits of sim racing is you can just do your own thing without having to worry about stuff like that.
Hey dark times, thats an interesting bit of info I never knew. but I have a question: is the XFG-Turbo sequential or something else?
XFG-Turbo? You probably mean the XFG, right? I don't recall it being a Turbo. Well, seeing as they're not based on any real cars there's really no right or wrong way, but the general concensus is that the roadcars (which is what the XFG is) are all H-shifted cars. But seeing as you don't have an H-shifter you're probably best off using the sequential shifter, yes.
Maybe it was the XRT-Turbo... I always seem to get them confused, anyway thanks
Quote from jscharpf :
Is there a league that I can join that accepts new players? I don't mind if I'm the lapped car on every race. I just want to gain experience. I can only commit to weekends because my work week is too unpredictable.

Is there a way to join up with an experienced driver and have that person take me through some simple laps and/or simple concepts, just to make sure I'm not starting off with bad habits?

Any advice, links, etc.. is appreciated.

Jeff

You'd be welcome to join the GFC. All standards catered for. At the start of the season many of the guys were rookies but all have pretty good skills now.

http://gentlefoot.com/LFS/forum

We are all very open in the community and share sets and practice together. Come along to the GFC server some time. Should be a few of us about this week as there is a race in Sunday.

Event times will suit you too I expect.
#18 - Skil
Gentlefoot: GFC is all about single-seater cars, at least that's what I've found on your site or maybe I'm wrong and you have place for other cars as well?

I ask because I prefer road cars that F1
Quote from Skil :Gentlefoot: GFC is all about single-seater cars, at least that's what I've found on your site or maybe I'm wrong and you have place for other cars as well?

I ask because I prefer road cars that F1

Yeah - this is the first GFC season and the F stands for Formula. It's FOX's and FO8s.

I have discussed starting a GTTC competition which will be the same thing for Tin Tops but there hasn't been huge interest compared with when I started the GFC so it may not happen.

Give the FOX a try. You might find after getting used to it you like it. To me it feels the most realistic of all the LFS cars (once you have a good setup) but I'm sure lots of people would disagree.
#20 - Skil
If you will start GTTC competition I'm all on it

I don't like single-seaters so I'm afraid that we won't meet there.
Anyway keep up the good job

a few beginner questions
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG