The online racing simulator
Driver Emotions
(30 posts, started )
#1 - Ilpav
Driver Emotions
Here's a new idea. How about having LFS focus more on the driver model (the guy/girl sitting in the car). Like in the new RACE game it has an in-helmet view, that would be cool in LFS. Also, how about when you get in a serious crash (but could still continue the race) you get blurred vision or something.

Any more ideas focused on the driver model?
that'll probably up the ante on the minimum requirements.

While it is a interesting idea. I'd much rather the devs focus on the engine and aerodynamic damage (which is grossly incomplete)

Sounds interesting and fun, but it would not fit in LFS.
Just imagine that half of the field have a dizzy and blur looking screen because of a hard contact earlier, would end up in a mayhem and a crash fest.

And I don`t belive that the LFS engine can do as advanced stuff as showing the emotion of the drivers, it would cost a lot of CPU power, that allready is very high.
Doesn't RBR have something like driver injuries? Could be fun though, driving without the brake-foot
Quote from breadfan :Doesn't RBR have something like driver injuries? Could be fun though, driving without the brake-foot

Oh lol, that would be awesome and sad at same time, think of all the lag crashes? It would be many fatal ones :/
I don't see my helmet when I'm racing.
My vision doesn't randomly blur after a small accident.

Both suggestions unrealistic and silly. -1x10^c
An Helmet limit the FOV but to see that you would have to use a large FOV.
We could have a very slight reflection from the visor but as your attention is focus on the road it's not something you would notice unless you're looking for it. Anyway the LFS graphics engine is not able to handle that for the moment.

Would be cool tho if we had a car without a windshield, driving in the dirt. I mean the visor could get dirty
Quote from Maelstrom :Would be cool tho if we had a car without a windshield, driving in the dirt. I mean the visor could get dirty

Or at least if the tyres hot dirty
Quote from breadfan :Or at least if the tyres hot dirty

The tires already do get dirty, that is if you run off the track into dirt or sand
Sorry, I meant "visibly" dirty. Or am I missing something?
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't see my helmet when I'm racing.
My vision doesn't randomly blur after a small accident.

Both suggestions unrealistic and silly. -1x10^c

What do you mean you don't see your helmet while racing (in real life I suppose), you don't see your visor; the little tint and maybe one of those stripes at the top of the visor?

And about the blurry vision; i only want it to come on when you have a significant crash (not when you bump something). And I want it to be like in some games like Splinter Cell and Farcry when you get hit by a flashbang and your ears ring and you get blurry vision.
How about introducing a device, that punches you in the face or stomach when you crash. Oh yeah, how about the car catching fire, that would be "fun".
This reminds me of the thread where the poster requested simulation of driver fatigue. It's all just over the top IMHO and I think that we should concentrate on more important issues. I am not against the 'blurred' vision (flight sims have something like that too) I am seeing more and more fruitless suggestions.
Quote from Ilpav :What do you mean you don't see your helmet while racing (in real life I suppose), you don't see your visor; the little tint and maybe one of those stripes at the top of the visor?
http://image.com.com/gamespot/ ... 60_20070718_screen002.jpg

If my vision through the helmet would be that much compromised, I'd replace the helmet instantly... Yes, a helmet lowers your FOV, but only at the extremes at best... The little we see on the monitor shouldn't be taken away from the helmet at all...
But a viewing through monitor restricts your vision even more then a helmet would.
Buy a racing helmet and wear that while you play
Quote from Crashgate3 :Buy a racing helmet and wear that while you play

damn, I was going to say that... so good point.

yes, if you put a camera inside a helmet, you might get a vision similar to the one on that picture. but in real life you can turn your head and you have two eyes and a brain capable of making up a bigger picture than you will ever get from your screen anyway.

driver emotions? if the game action leaves you cold and you don't get tired after 30 laps... ... dude, stay away from your pc for a while!
Quote from Crashgate3 :Buy a racing helmet and wear that while you play

Lol that would do the trick, and aswell set a heavy fan on top of the monitor so you can feel the wind when you are racing
#18 - Jakg
Just tried, and i can see my whole monitor with ease. And my second monitor, and space for an extra one on both sides with ease.

Utterly stupid imo.
If he really wants to see abit of his helmet when driving, Buy a racing helmet, and put it on the wrong way round... Just dont expect a welcome atmosphere when you are trying to race.

But seriously, a helmet doesnt impede what you see that much, only when you try to look to one side with your eyes, even then you see most of what you want to be looking at.
haha that screenshot looks so funny. it looks like the front of the helmet is like 30cm infront of the driver's face.. totally unrealistic but i can see what they were trying to achieve
Quote from The Very End :Lol that would do the trick, and aswell set a heavy fan on top of the monitor so you can feel the wind when you are racing

ROFL!

You know, when I saw driver emotions I thought you mean like happy face or angry face.

I can see it now, a bunch of n00bs will get on and race with their driver's face set to "Enzyte Happy".
Quote from Impreza WRX :ROFL!

You know, when I saw driver emotions I thought you mean like happy face or angry face.

I can see it now, a bunch of n00bs will get on and race with their driver's face set to "Enzyte Happy".

Haha xD
Actually it was the same I thought when I saw the topic title, but when I readed the post I understood more of what he meant.
What's really missing is windscreens from normal cockpit view- if they were properly implemented in LFS you'd get a much better sense of being inside a car. The helmet graphic looks dodgy and I'm sure whoever thought it up didn't really think it through, as others have pointed out you don't see your helmet while wearing it. Better to limit vision with dust/rain ect on the windscreen itself.

Effects which simulate various player states I would probably be against, as they are usually quite cheesily done- etc, screen turns red, screen turns black, screen shakes and goes fuzzy (although I was somewhat dissapointed when the mushrooms had no effect on my hero in Oblivion ).
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :haha that screenshot looks so funny. it looks like the front of the helmet is like 30cm infront of the driver's face.. totally unrealistic but i can see what they were trying to achieve

You said it all.

Driver Emotions
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG