The online racing simulator
speek in LFS
(22 posts, started )
speek in LFS
LFS need speeking function in game, like in css, hl2, cs 1.6 . it would be very usefull
1) Introduces more lag, and LFS relys on a solid connection to provide better racing
2) I'd rather not hear a bunch of kiddys screaming "PWNT N00BZ0RZ!" after every race.
Quote from mxpxun :LFS need speeking function in game, like in css, hl2, cs 1.6 . it would be very usefull

Sorry, but what does the word speek mean?
sry bad en
Quote from Dalek0220 :Sorry, but what does the word speek mean?

To speak. Its a verb. You do it by opening your mouth. Some people can even do it with their mouth closed.

You dont have to thank me. Im glad that I could help you.
Quote from Dalek0220 :Sorry, but what does the word speek mean?

Coming from someone with "Rulz" in his signature, you have room to talk And besides, I bet his English is better than your Lithuanian

Sometimes I think VOIP would be a good thing, other times I think it'd be hellish. Because you don't NEED to communicate with your team to win (unlike FPS games) it's probably not worth the hassle.
Quote from zeugnimod :To speak. Its a verb. You do it by opening your mouth. Some people can even do it with their mouth closed.

You dont have to thank me. Im glad that I could help you.

But he wrote "speek" with double e and not with "ea" ;p
Quote from Dajmin :Sometimes I think VOIP would be a good thing, other times I think it'd be hellish. Because you don't NEED to communicate with your team to win (unlike FPS games) it's probably not worth the hassle.

I hated the idea of anyone breaking my concentration by talking to me whilst racing. It one of the reasons i was reluctant to join a team that used voice comms.
In the end it took very little time to get used to, and when used appropriately (ie:- not people rambling on constantly through a race) it is a great tool.
VOIP is only good in a team situation though. I'd absolutely hate a public channel in LFS, my god..can you imagine all those kiddy arguments, it would indeed drive you nuts
Use a conference call
Don't know if this would work or if everyones wives, girlfreinds, boyfreinds, mothers, and fathers wouldlike it but why note use a conference call on a speaker phone? Then you don't use up any of your bandwidth.
#11 - Jakg
Conference calls would use WAY more bandwidth because it's transmitting ALL of the noise ALL of the time. TeamSpeak uses PTT/Voice Activation for this reason.
When I started toplay LFS I came with the same suggestion up. Now after 1 year racing and after using TS with my teammates I have to say: "NOOOOOO WAY"

Most of the people are way to messed up and the whole thing would just be a playground for kids.
Just check all the writting of messages during the race, now imagine they have just to open their mouth........

It wouldn't be worth the work and time of the devs. There are a lot of other things to do.
but what about enable and disable button if u dont need it disable it , if u need it than anable it and talk, or if u need , and u don't whant to hear anoyng kids that are disturbing u, than it sould be added mute button. What about that?
#14 - wark
Quote from mxpxun :but what about enable and disable button if u dont need it disable it , if u need it than anable it and talk, or if u need , and u don't whant to hear anoyng kids that are disturbing u, than it sould be added mute button. What about that?

Then the question becomes: why implement something just so it can be disabled?
Quote from wark :Then the question becomes: why implement something just so it can be disabled?

Yeah...like typing (can block users) ... what a waste of a feature communication is, i mean, it can just be disabled..right? Sorry, that was a silly statement. Anything that is an OPTION falls under your logic of being worthless...

Voice should be added. When it's done correctly, it's invaluable. If you want to turn it off for public races, then fine.

Alot of games have done great implimentations of voice, Halo 2, for example, and even moreso in Halo3. The problem with halo is alot of kids yelling and such, but it takes 2 seconds to mute the bad ones. Bing able to tell a tell a teammate something in a split second is great.

The thing that made Halo2 amazing, and makes it so that teamspeak/etc cant touch it, is proximity voice. You can hear everyone in your proximity...but only your teammates far away, and only if they pudh the talk button.

Alot of the racing games on XBL have done similar, where you can only hear 2-3 cars ahead of or behind you (or 200 ft, instead of cars...etc).

If you can set it so that you can only hear the closest cars to you (and the volume they come through at would be determined by distance), it becomes very useful. Now, when you type "im passing you right" to a lapper, nobody knows who the heck your talking to, because your name isnt in the mirror...etc. Well, you could say "Coming up on your right, bob" ... alot quicker and safer than typing it. And things like "thanks" and "pass me up here after the chicane" are much easier...

Can it be used to annoy, maybe...but if that's your cause, then we should disable collisions with other cars, because people can intentionally wreck you, too. One of my favorite quotes ever "Every tool is a weapon". If it can do good, it can likely do bad. you cant control how people use a tool, but that shouldnt stop you from deploying it.

As for bandwidth, XBOX Live has proven that bandwidth isnt really an issue. I've been in FULL halo2 games with EVERYONE talking (deathmatches...shit-talking is par for the course, and part of the fun) and had no problem. With the amount of people on broadband, its becoming even less of a problem. I can remember playing Nascar '99 (papyrus) over dialup using Roger Wilco, and never had a problem. Most of the time, voice is 8k per second for those apps, thats a drop in the bucket these days.

You have to provide options (like blocking players, blocking anyone not in a car, dis/enable talking post and pre-race ... etc), but its far from harmful.

And if hearing someone talk into your ear messes up your concentration...well..work on that...situational awareness FTW.
#16 - wark
@rjm of course, unless it's a feature as widely dispised as this. It would be nothing more than a nuissance to the majority of LFS users, thus it couldn't be worth it. Go download vent or roger wilco or teamspeak.
Quote from wark :It would be nothing more than a nuisance to the majority of LFS users.

cite your source? focus on the word "majority"
Quote from rjm1982 :cite your source? focus on the word "majority"

Source: This thread
Majority: More than 51% of the respondents to this thread.

(very small sample i admit, but i guarantee Wark is right in his assumptions. Try a poll and find out.)

The people who want voice comms in LFS tend to have them. I just cant see a public channel ever being anything more than a complete PITA.
#19 - wark
Quote from rjm1982 :cite your source? focus on the word "majority"

I have been in this community a lot longer than you have (since 10/02) and it's not like this is the first time it's been suggested.

[The threads] all ended like this: waste of code.
aaaaaah 10 year old kiddies screaming at you.
aaaaaaah -1112435425634366 points

i dont want to hear a bunch of kids screaming..(just like CS1.6)
use teamspeak if u want to talk wif your team..
i whant to talk in publicki, like i said if u dont like it disable or mute kids that are enoyng u

speek in LFS
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG