The online racing simulator
AA or RAC?
(13 posts, started )
AA or RAC?
I'm driving down to the ATC Lan Party with my ATC colleagues down south in England on Thursday morning. Reason I'm driving down is because I'll be bringing my PC equipment and my DFP down for the next few days.

As a precaution, I intend to have a Car Breakdown Cover just incase. Because not only will I be stopping at the ATC Lan party *which is just about 400 miles from where I am in Fife* I'll be driving down to Guildford near London, from the ATC HQ which is 150 miles and back.

And I noticed that both the AA and the RAC have the same Breakdown cover polices. *tend to go for the cheapest ones 30 quid*

Which is more recommended between the two?
I thought you meant the Raceabout

RAC are very good. AA just tow you to a garage.

Its been in the news about how shody the AA is...
Quote from The General Lee :I thought you meant the Raceabout

RAC are very good. AA just tow you to a garage.

Its been in the news about how shody the AA is...

Just to add, I'm only going for the Roadside covers.
Green Flag have the best response times, unless you can claim to be a lone woman with a child in tow.
OT: Sorry to go OT straight away, but you stay in Fife, Scotland? I stay in Fife near Cupar! I had to drive ~400miles also to go to the LFS meet a couple years ago.

....except i'm in Texas atm

Anyway, just to counter what The General said, I have heard stories of RAC guys supposedly having to meet a quota of selling parts. They would sell new batteries as standard to people who were stranded. However, I am sure this is a minority, and that I think that it was abolished after the story was published.
What happened on the news regarding the AA, I must have missed that.
#7 - ajp71
The AA seem to run their own lorries, the RAC seem to sub-contract, which is usually nicer to get a local firm take you home, that's just my opinion but both times I've been taken home by the RAC its been a nice guy in his lorry and if you talk to them sensibly enough you can get them to just send a lorry rather than bothering with a van if you know it won't be fixed at the road side. When a wheel fell off the Morgan at Brands Hatch it did take a bit of convincing them that they weren't going to produce an entire corners worth of obscure suspension parts that only Morgan would. The best bit about the RAC for us though is that they now recover cars that have broken down as a result of going motor racing, before people had to get someone to trailer their car down the road and drop it off at the side of the road and pretend that their competition prepared car had definitely not just been to a race track
Quote from mrbogeyman :OT: Sorry to go OT straight away, but you stay in Fife, Scotland? I stay in Fife near Cupar! I had to drive ~400miles also to go to the LFS meet a couple years ago.

....except i'm in Texas atm

Anyway, just to counter what The General said, I have heard stories of RAC guys supposedly having to meet a quota of selling parts. They would sell new batteries as standard to people who were stranded. However, I am sure this is a minority, and that I think that it was abolished after the story was published.

TEXAS! come visit me!!!!!
#9 - PaulH
I'm with RAC and i've been very happy with the service they provide so far. I have never used the AA but i've heard they are not so good, bearing in mind that your reputation preceeds you. If I had to choose now, considering i've heard the reputation of the AA but never heard a single story of the RAC, i'd go for RAC.

Heres a little semi-unrelated story. A few years back my car was used as a "destruction derby" vehicle by a bunch of joyriders - I was driving my car but I was brutally rammed, rammed and rammed off the road - my car was a write off. The incident happened at about 8.30PM at which point I phoned 999 and spoke to the police. Shortly after, I phoned the RAC to have my car towed away. Both the RAC and the police knew of what happened, but the RAC were the only ones that showed any emotional support - with the RAC making regular phone calls to both me and my mother asking if we were alright and giving me updates of the ETA of the pickup. At about 9.15pm my car was towed approximately 15 miles to my "local" mechanic. 3.00
am and I recieved a phone call from the police saying they have an officer "willing" to see me now!! Obviously I told them I was no longer at the crime scene, and they said that I "need to come in to your local station tommorow 'if' you want to make a statement".
In this situation the RAC were much better at providing a service and additional support than the police. Quite frankly the police were not interested.

Two days later when I travelled past the location of where the incident occured, some unlucky chap had his newish Subaru WRX smashed up and abandoned. What a lovely area - "gun capital" of Nottingham.

/EOR
Travelling an extra 150 miles to go to Guildford? Why would you want to do that?
Norwich Union, cheapest, and they use Green Flag, which is supposedly one of the best.
Quote from spookthehamster :Travelling an extra 150 miles to go to Guildford? Why would you want to do that?

Karate Course, me and others were asked if we wanted to come down for the weekend with the English group of Karate students.
My parents used to use the AA until a few years back they called them and the guy who was taking them home started falling asleep at the wheel only waking up when he'd have someone beep at him for crossing lanes.

Then they went to RAC until about 3-4 years ago when my mum called them from work because the car wouldn't start (it was 11PM, and she was in a part of town where lone women do not want to be) because the battery was dead, and being an auto it couldn't be jump started. She waited 1 hour before phoning home and it took my dad 1 hour and a half to get down there with a spare battery and the RAC still didn't show up in that time frame. The walk down there ended up with my dad getting pneumonia which he has never recovered from.

They went back to the AA because it comes free with the LloydsTSB Platinum account.

AA or RAC?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG