The online racing simulator
I have an idea, but what exactly are the Race time progress charts? A tracking of the gap between cars?
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :I have an idea, but what exactly are the Race time progress charts? A tracking of the gap between cars?

The gap between the drivers during the whole race.
Lolzzz the GT2 cars need to look more in the mirror, id suggest you try and drive a GT2 car instead.

Faster cars from behind are responsible for the overtaking aktion if they crash into a GT2 its their fault, it doesnt matter if the GT2 is in the way or not... You cant just say they need to look more in the mirrors, 90% of the time im watching in my mirror, cant even do a single clean lap without a gt1 passing. IMO most of the GT2 guys need a medal for how the racing went this race. I think its plain selfish to say the gt2 need to look more in the mirrors...

Cant do it much better i think.

Real life racing we also see crashes of crazy gt2 drivers or GT1 guys who think they are the HULK or something and blast through a car... I think this says alot about the professionality of the driver... Or they maybe have fallen into sleeping mode.

I had around 70 blue flags in that race... Thats more then i do in a month i think...
Nice stats, thank you.

Anyone know why there is the letter "A" in front of some players nicknames? I saw this while online in the server too, kinda curious as to why this happens...
Since there were so many teams who showed up and hadn't pre-registered for the race, Keichi asked those teams to put an A in front of their name before qualifying, for "applicant."
Or possibly for "Adultery." Not sure how much he's into 19th century American literature. ;]
I was marking them for human sacrifice to the speed gods later. *evil grin*

DeadWolfBones is right, it was for "applicant". I'd planned to just let them qualify and then if any had complaints agianst them ask them to leave. I also told Phil about it when he came in. He didn't seem to have a problem with it, and it resulted in a full grid and some awesome battles between the last minute entries (n! and SK for instance).

If it had been for adultery I would have had to make them color it red.
Quote from Koopa :Lolzzz the GT2 cars need to look more in the mirror, id suggest you try and drive a GT2 car instead.

Faster cars from behind are responsible for the overtaking aktion if they crash into a GT2 its their fault, ...

Not if they suddenly close the door. Both cars have a responsibility.

Quote from Koopa :cant even do a single clean lap without a gt1 passing.

I had only about 5 clean laps, so I think that counts for both classes.
It always helps to learn from real racing, so maybe some excerpts from a racing book can help the whole multi-class racing thing a bit.

Quote :
III. Races with Multiple Classes of Car.
The big difference in this type of race is that you may be racing for the lead in your class when another car, or group of cars, appears in your mirror, about to lap you. Typically, they are racing for the lead in their class, going 5 seconds per lap faster than you. You don't want to hold them up by getting in the way, but you sure don't want to slow up and lose time to the competitors in your own class.
In professional sportscar racing, where this frequently happens, the rulebook states that you should give way to the faster class of car. This doesn't necessarily mean that you pull off the racetrack, you just make it easier for the faster cars to get by without overly handicapping yourself. The faster cars should have no trouble getting by on the straights even if you stay on the normal racing line. Ideally, they would like to pass you and get back on-line before the next corner, and when the timing works out this way, passing is no problem. Just as often, the faster cars don't get by you on the straight but are closing ferociously in the braking zone and corner. If you see this developing and you're racing hard for position in your class, give them the car-width and a half at the apex. You won't have to slow down too much to make this happen without spoiling the race in either class.
If you are uncompetitive in your class or running a minute behind the car ahead, you can spare more road--and more laptime--to help faster cars through.
On some circuits, the race organizers may ask the drivers of slower classes of cars to keep to a certain lane on the high-speed straights or on the banking. You'd be expected to finish the corner leading onto the straight by tracking out to the edge, then working your way carefully to your lane. At the end of the straight you can work your way back out to the turning point if there is no traffic. If a faster car is going to get there at the same time, you'll have to stay where you are and enter the corner off the optimum line, which is going to require an adjustment to your braking and turn-in points.
When you are yielding to faster cars, unless specifically instructed by the race organizers, drive the normal line down the straights. Be sure to check your mirrors at the beginning and end of every straight. If, on checking your mirrors, you judge that they won't catch you until the following straight, stay on-line through the corner so as not to lose any time to your competitors.

Cooperating

In all of these iffy passing situations, it takes a lot of anxiety away from the overtaking driver if it's obvious that the slower car ahead is going to yield the line. Wondering whether the driver alongside is going to yield or turn into you is uncomfortable.

The Point-By
One way to alert the faster driver that you're yielding is to point to the side where you're going to leave room. This move is known as the "point-by", and it isn't a command for the overtaking driver--it's merely a suggestion. The overtaking driver may have already made the decision to pass on the other side, so don't be surprised if you point one way and you are passed on the opposite side. For the passing driver, the value of the point-by is not so much the suggested direction, but the fact that you know he or she is around.
DON'T point if you don't mean it. If you're at the turn-in point and you point inside to signify that you're prepared to leave room at the apex, don't then go for the apex and shut the door. The overtaking driver may not have gone for the pass in the corner except that you encouraged it by pointing. Going for the normal line has the effect of suckering in, then taking out your competitor. We've seen it many times: in fact, we've named it the "Point-Bomb."

I think some additional knowledge about multi-class racing and the use of point-by's (through the use of the blinkers) can establish a better trust and respect between drivers of different classes, because in a multi-class endurance race you're going to see each other A LOT.
I very much like the first two paragraphs of your post, less the third. The point-by is okay if the grid generally knows each other so they know what folks mean. But let's say the car in front sets a right turn signal, meaning in his opinion "pass me on the right!" However, the car behind sees it as "I move to the right" and wants to pass on the left...that is a very commong situation in grids with drivers having less experience with each other.

The first two paragraphs are pretty spot-on, though. I also do believe that the issue we had now will get less and less the more we have two classes on the grid and the test race only strengthens my believe that we can make it work and that it will be very enjoyable to have two classes on the grid.
For the class identification surely it needs to be something highly visable that isnt going to blend in with a teams natural livery, if you put the white & red GT1 ident on last seasons Ocrana skin it would just blend right in, when (apparently) it needs to be clearly visable from some distance away.

At least something like the attached would be very easy to spot on any car, and the 2 colours per class means teams shouldnt have schemes that blend with both colours (if they do, they should maybe rethink their choices ) so they'd use the one that was most visable and not the one that fitted in nicely with their skin colours.

I also think the rear edge of rear wing, or the whole underside of it, is also a great place to use this colour and it doesnt completely destroy the original look of a skin and the underside in particular is pretty easy to see from a distance back, as are wing mirror colours, and i think these small thing could do with being distinguishable with set colours because typically your (MoE's) chosen spot for slapping these marks of identification can be quite vulgar on some schemes (yes, i know your incoming argument) and trim colouring can usually be done without destroying a design while making it extremely visable for the rear view mirror.

2 colours per class makes more sense than 1, because that chosen colour could blend in too much with a teams natural scheme.

Better use of block colours in places less intrusive but still very noticable so they're spotted from some distance away. The use of text to clarify GT1 and GT2 shouldnt be needed after 10min in the car with others, but i guess theres no harm in it being there if its considered important to have it.
Attached images
class_ident1.png
class_ident2.png
class_ident3.png
class_ident4.png
Rite, and what about if the admins decide yes we do this color identification stuff... I think that you also need to give the front of the car such a color for identifying GT1 guys if you are a GT2 driver. Because thats even more difficult sometimes to spot in corners etc...

One other thing, my team would like to participate, i know the subscription is gonna start soon BUT...

What do we need in our team to get invited to race in the MoE league???

Weve raced in the testrace sofar, with a bit slow speeds in qualifying due to the short notice, we needed to fix a set in less then a hour, but still we were fighting in the middle field of the GT2's so im hopefull... We had some decent speed in the race...
loving the pink gt1
Quote from Koopa :Rite, and what about if the admins decide yes we do this color identification stuff... I think that you also need to give the front of the car such a color for identifying GT1 guys if you are a GT2 driver. Because thats even more difficult sometimes to spot in corners etc...

One other thing, my team would like to participate, i know the subscription is gonna start soon BUT...

What do we need in our team to get invited to race in the MoE league???

Weve raced in the testrace sofar, with a bit slow speeds in qualifying due to the short notice, we needed to fix a set in less then a hour, but still we were fighting in the middle field of the GT2's so im hopefull... We had some decent speed in the race...

Hmm, I can't see how you wont notice that it is a GT1 car coming, Unles sthe car has timed out then you will get a Blue Flag, but more than ever you really can't miss a car coming behind you 10 seconds faster a lap.

You also have the map, it's rather obvious IMO if your driving along with pleanty of space behind to notice a car or 2 suddenly closing in.

But really I think that the GT1 and GT2 tag in the name is more than enough, but really to make that more effective just have the GT1 cars have there whole name in blue. Really though if you can't tell the differnce between a slow car and a fast car then it isn't for you.
Balance session
Core;s server
1900 CET this sunday
Yeah well i dont have a BIG problem with it BUT... Sometimes when youre in a fight with a few guys and suddenly there is a GT1, rite...... which one do you want to let pass, in slow parts you cant tell the difference, and when in a fight im not paying attention to the map ALOT... So its not always easy to see in such moments...

Ahh wel... dont get me wrong mooner... I dont care about the colors, normally i see them comming quite early so. But because he was talking about colors on the back side of the car...

Anyways this balancing race on sunday??? Thats a official MoE testsesson or one of ZWR racing???
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Balance session
Core;s server
1900 CET this sunday

Hopefully our US server plays nice with you Euro boys.
Shouldnt be a problem since we should use a qualification session for timing
Quote from Koopa :Yeah well i dont have a BIG problem with it BUT... Sometimes when youre in a fight with a few guys and suddenly there is a GT1, rite...... which one do you want to let pass, in slow parts you cant tell the difference, and when in a fight im not paying attention to the map ALOT... So its not always easy to see in such moments...

Ahh wel... dont get me wrong mooner... I dont care about the colors, normally i see them comming quite early so. But because he was talking about colors on the back side of the car...

Anyways this balancing race on sunday??? Thats a official MoE testsesson or one of ZWR racing???

You could have 2 GT2 cars behind you racing and one GT1 car, but you've probably been racing with those GT2 cars at least long enough to notice what they look like and what they dont look like, so chances are if a car that doesnt look like the ones you've been racing with and a great big 'BLUE FLAG' message is sitting in the middle of your screen then you might wanna consider allowing it to overtake you whenever it can. You'll have GT2 cars lapping GT2 cars too, colour coding isnt really something you need, what you need is to know who your racing with and some common sense on the track and you'll be fine.

I gather teams cant run a GT1 class and a GT2 class car, so there wont be 2 cars that look near identical with completely different characteristics, and really you should be fully aware of who your racing against before the season starts, I still think colour trims round the car to distinguish them might make things easier, but thats for others to decide on, South City should be the only track where cars could sneak up on you due to often limited scope, but maps and 'blue flag' messages should be used by everyone.
I hear some Drivers preffer racing with shift+F :S...

Anyway, Colour codes raen't really needed on the cars since when your close enough you will be able to see the GT1 or GT2 tag before each drivers names. In my experience i've always been able to read my opponents names so i see no reason why there should be any problems with coloured tags before each drivers name representing their class.
Quote from BenjiMC :I hear some Drivers preffer racing with shift+F :S...

I don't use Shift+F, but still i race with names off. It's so unreal and distracting...
Quote from N I K I :I don't use Shift+F, but still i race with names off. It's so unreal and distracting...

I do the same and totally agree.
Nope cockpit view FTW...

Ahh well it happend once when i exited the pits Paul, came into a big group of cars, all new to me, so yes indeed blue flag but for who i thought??? Offcourse there was a GT1 in the group but, it was in the first slow part of the track, so instead of being a paine in the ass for the GT1, i let them almost all pass... These moments are very rare, but they can happen...

Anyways any new testrace comming soon to test the new settings or???
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Balance session

Core;s server

1900 CET this sunday

Quote from Koopa :Anyways any new testrace comming soon to test the new settings or???

instead of RTFM... RTFT
#75 - thd
Quote from PaulC2K :You could have 2 GT2 cars behind you racing and one GT1 car, but you've probably been racing with those GT2 cars at least long enough to notice what they look like and what they dont look like, so chances are if a car that doesnt look like the ones you've been racing with and a great big 'BLUE FLAG' message is sitting in the middle of your screen then you might wanna consider allowing it to overtake you whenever it can. You'll have GT2 cars lapping GT2 cars too, colour coding isnt really something you need, what you need is to know who your racing with and some common sense on the track and you'll be fine.

I gather teams cant run a GT1 class and a GT2 class car, so there wont be 2 cars that look near identical with completely different characteristics, and really you should be fully aware of who your racing against before the season starts, I still think colour trims round the car to distinguish them might make things easier, but thats for others to decide on, South City should be the only track where cars could sneak up on you due to often limited scope, but maps and 'blue flag' messages should be used by everyone.

Say you just got in the car for your first stint? Expecting everyone to memorize the looks of every competitor car is unrealistic.

Real multiclass racing like the ALMS or GrandAm series has no colour coding but the cars driving in different classes don't look the same either.

In the current situation there is simply no reason good enough not to put something highly visible on every for class id purposes, imho.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG