The online racing simulator
Do you play CS:S
(49 posts, started )
cs:s ? never
but i kind of miss the good old days of weapon rushing when the round starts hoping to be the first at a good one ... back when cs wasnt the most popular game
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Tripping over stones? Seems OTT probably. But they would have to make proper characters with proper physical properties for sure, that wouldn't be too hard. Things like losing blood, or having certain body parts affect different aspects of performance and lots of other things like that. Not too hard probably.

Rubbish, it wouldn't require much more processing power. LFS can calculate tire physics at 2000hz for a bunch of cars which would be an order of magnitude more complex than we're talking here.

Wouldn't be too hard? It wouldn't require much processing power but think how hard is it to "simulate" or virtually trying to re-create human body movement. You know, in a racing sim you have a wheel, in a real car you have a wheel but pointing and clicking a mouse is not quite the same how you aim and shoot with real weapons...
It would most likely require a whole other input device, something closer to the original vision of VR, but I don't think even that would go anywhere near far enough. The whole thing sounds strange and funny. Better off to go play paintball, or rock wars at your local quarry.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :That can already happen, there are one shot kills all the time..

That's not strictly true BBT, there are only 2 guns that can acheive a one shot kill on CS:S, and if the server is any good they'll usually restrict awp, so that leaves deagle, which is bloody good, but not much cop against more than one or two people simultaneously.

I used to play solid Office, but then I played Gungames for a few months which are good as you get used to the full range of guns, not just the AK/Deagle combo or the CT equivalent.

edit: Urgh stupid avatar stealing :P
Quote from deggis :Wouldn't be too hard? It wouldn't require much processing power but think how hard is it to "simulate" or virtually trying to re-create human body movement. You know, in a racing sim you have a wheel, in a real car you have a wheel but pointing and clicking a mouse is not quite the same how you aim and shoot with real weapons...

I guess absolutely perfect body movement isn't what I'm on about, although I'm still certain it could be done far FAR better than it is; so yes it is a problem... I'm yapping about the restrictions / lack thereof in some cases, player abilities, stamina, gun physics, player hit reactions & effects and so forth. I can understand your point about the input device, but people play LFS with keyboards and mice, so that's not an issue IMO.

Quote from pb32000 :That's not strictly true BBT, there are only 2 guns that can acheive a one shot kill on CS:S, and if the server is any good they'll usually restrict awp, so that leaves deagle, which is bloody good, but not much cop against more than one or two people simultaneously.

Oh I see. I thought pistols or almost any gun could take you out with a headshot. I haven't played in a long time, and rarely ever played online - just hung out with bots for a few minutes now & then.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Oh I see. I thought pistols or almost any gun could take you out with a headshot. I haven't played in a long time, and rarely ever played online - just hung out with bots for a few minutes now & then.

It depends... If your opponent has bought the vest and the helmet, you need at least two hits with every other guns than pb mentioned... If he didn't, your right, you'll frag him with one headshot...

I don't agree on the AWP though... It's part of the game, so why don't use it?

How about a LfS-forum CS meet? Could be fun...
Quote from bbman :It depends... If your opponent has bought the vest and the helmet, you need at least two hits with every other guns than pb mentioned... If he didn't, your right, you'll frag him with one headshot...

I don't agree on the AWP though... It's part of the game, so why don't use it?

How about a LfS-forum CS meet? Could be fun...

Most competitive/fair servers restrict the AWP because it is most definitely unfair.
Yer and the scout (forgot to mention thats another one headshot kill weapon) is so much more pro. Unscoped scout headshots are I think my favorite type of kill
Quote from OneCrazyDiamond :Most competitive/fair servers restrict the AWP because it is most definitely unfair.

Why? Who's holding you back to buy one yourself?

Just out of curiousity: Where you choosing the XRR pre-balancing patch as the FZR was just "too lame"?

About that meet: BBT and I got to talk, any clan willing to lend a server?
I've played a lot with CS1.5 with the PODBot's , oh the good old times ( not multi because i had a dial up connection plus my copy of the game is not very legal ). It was a lot of fun, i liked it. Now iam playing CSS with bots again, although i have the connection for it now i don't play online ( for the same reason as above ). I like to play it once a while, its a good relaxation but as was mentioned above it really can get very annoying (even with bots ) . I like Soldat much more , it is not 3D but can be so much fun online , plus i know the game much better ( 4+ years of playing it :P ) . Tried out the BF2 demo, didnt like it. It's like the situation with LFS vs GTR -> you just don't feel you are right there in the middle of the action. Call of Duty is a lot of fun , playing with friends on LAN i might say it's a lot more fun than CSS .Btw, anybody here still playing Q3 Arena ?
BF2 is for gimps, its no way a game to compare with CS:S

And why is that such a ridiculous comment, what i made above..
Its the truth, too many people who i have played with on racing games and have played CSS, or other FPS games with, just end up calling everyone hackers, because they don't realise you use your sound more than your eyes, if you know where the enemy is, you don't need luck, skill OR aim.

Unless your a fatality RETARD, who can't take an easy shot, when the guy is planting the bomb.
#38 - Jakg
Quote from BlueFlame :Just end up calling everyone hackers, because they don't realise you use your sound more than your eyes, if you know where the enemy is, you don't need luck, skill OR aim.

To be fair there are a LOT (compared to other games, at least) of hackers in CS:S, but at the same time there are a LOT of 12 year olds who believe anyone better than them is hacking - usually unjustly - because they do what they didn't know was possible

OT - Whats the sound actually... LIKE in CS:S? BF2 has (imo) a great use of the sound system, namely that it's very atmospheric and easy to position an enemy, even on my old crappy SB Live! and dodgy Creative Speakers!
Quote from BlueFlame :BF2 is for gimps, its no way a game to compare with CS:S

Care to back that up with anything less insulting and more reasoned? I love playing BF2, but tbh i usually end up playing on Infantry Only because no matter how 1337 you are, your Spec Ops rifle looses VS a tank. Still have lots of fun playing against the UKCT guys though :P
Quote from Jakg :OT - Whats the sound actually... LIKE in CS:S?

Not strictly realistic, but phenomenal for gameplay. Plus the guns sound like the sound could kill someone alone, especially with good speakers

I don't have much trouble with hackers, once you become vaguely good they're piss easy to spot and usually kill, as they're too busy trying to use their hack rather than playing the game.

Personally, never got into BF2, the airstrikes annoyed me enough never to play that game, even after eagerly anticipating it having played BF1942 for years.
Quote from Jakg :To be fair there are a LOT (compared to other games, at least) of hackers in CS:S, but at the same time there are a LOT of 12 year olds who believe anyone better than them is hacking - usually unjustly - because they do what they didn't know was possible

OT - Whats the sound actually... LIKE in CS:S? BF2 has (imo) a great use of the sound system, namely that it's very atmospheric and easy to position an enemy, even on my old crappy SB Live! and dodgy Creative Speakers!Care to back that up with anything less insulting and more reasoned? I love playing BF2, but tbh i usually end up playing on Infantry Only because no matter how 1337 you are, your Spec Ops rifle looses VS a tank. Still have lots of fun playing against the UKCT guys though :P

Im just saying theres always a 'type' of people that play BF2 and another 'type' for CS:S... players good at CS:S and games similar, are good at ANY FPS. Where as BF2 players can't do anything near as good, but a waste tho don't you think Jak? You buy the game, it comes with vehicles, yet you go Infantry only? Get CS:S... No Vehicles in that one.

Sound doesn't have to be real. After all, if it was real, you probobly wouldn't hear the guy in the next room, due to your own boots squeeking, or something like that, but you only need to hear footsteps its harder to hear others in BF2 anyway, because of the Vehicles and Arty n stuff, and it seems to be more 'adreneline fueled' for people who HAVE served in the Army, and stuff like that.. Most of the servers on BF2 are either German or American, so its kinda hard to find one to fit into anyway.
Quote from bbman :Why? Who's holding you back to buy one yourself?

Just out of curiousity: Where you choosing the XRR pre-balancing patch as the FZR was just "too lame"?

About that meet: BBT and I got to talk, any clan willing to lend a server?

Maybe I didn't understand your question correctly but I already stated that the server restricts the AWP so no one can buy it. So, the server is "holding me back" from buying one myself.

As for your second question, I have no idea what you mean except that it has something to do with the balancing patch.
Quote from Jakg :BF2 has (imo) a great use of the sound system, namely that it's very atmospheric and easy to position an enemy, even on my old crappy SB Live!

Like the feature that a tank (or any other vehicle) that's 50 m from you, does not make any sound at all?

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I guess absolutely perfect body movement isn't what I'm on about, although I'm still certain it could be done far FAR better than it is; so yes it is a problem... I'm yapping about the restrictions / lack thereof in some cases, player abilities, stamina, gun physics, player hit reactions & effects and so forth. I can understand your point about the input device, but people play LFS with keyboards and mice, so that's not an issue IMO.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood a little bit. But the controller is still an issue, in real life you use your own body vs. real car where you still use a controller (wheel is a controller equipment after all). Though, if you forget the limitation of the controller, many things in realism shooters could be done much better but it's seems to be mostly lack of innovative ideas how to properly attach realism and playability. Besides bullet modelling and environment damage advanced physics doesn't really help.

In most "realistic" games you can still be hit twice in the leg, run in a circle with 20 kg of stuff in your back while jumping and reloading a weapon... there could be simple restrictions what you can do... like if you run, you simply can't shoot (properly). Or if you get hit even once, you absolutely shouldn't be fully operational anymore.

But I don't understand why you whine specificically about CS lacking realism because it definitely isn't made to be so called "tactical combat sim". There are several games that do that job better. I'd say Operation Flashpoint gives still the best feeling being in the middle of combat (well I haven't been in real one but army service have given some kind of image what it could be). I also recommend trying the recent Insurgency mod for HL2, it's still in early beta stage though.
Quote from deggis :but army service have given some kind of image what it could be

are we talking about the same army ?
Attached images
1180207667998.jpg
#44 - Jakg
Quote from deggis :Like the feature that a tank (or any other vehicle) that's 50 m from you, does not make any sound at all?

Yes, but it also moves alot faster than you
My PC can barely handle CS:S, which came with my copy of Garry's mod, which I will have to do a reinstall to clean out all the mods because the Gmod update destroyed some mods and increased loading time horribly.
Every game has it's problems. The key thing is how quickly changes get made to fix them.

In BF2 it's usually the statpadders. They will TK you to get to a vehicle, they will run you over in tanks and jeeps if they want to increase their time and you look like you're heading that way. These days wallhacks are also becoming more common. But with a decent team on a decent server, it can be a great tactical battle. More maps would be nice though, since most servers seem to just run one which the regulars know like the back of their hands.
It's an EA game though, so the odds of anything getting fixed are non-existant. As part of a paid expansion maybe, but you can pretty much rule out any after-sales support.

In CSS it's wallhacks and aimbots. You can tell when someone's using an aimbot because you die the second they enter a room. With the wallhacks you never even see them coming. I love the physics and the features of the game, but the problems it has make it pretty frustrating. The good news is that it still gets semi-regular updates, even after all this time.

I think the bottom line is that it's the players who make the game. Get a bunch of retards and cheaters and obviously it's going to suck no matter what you're playing.
Quote from Dajmin :I think the bottom line is that it's the players who make the game. Get a bunch of retards and cheaters and obviously it's going to suck no matter what you're playing.

Well said

Well, looks like I'm gona have to go back to windows and reinstall Source again, need to get back in the game before/if we have this LFS CS session
I quite enjoy playing CSS although it can get rather frustrating. For example when you clearly shoot someone in the head 3 times, they have bloody on their helmet but then you check the console and you haven't hit them once. Sometimes its because of the servers but even with 100 tick server this still happens.

Hacks are a pain but if you find the right servers which always have admins on (mines manx rats) then if someone does appear to be using hacks they are banned straight away. I don't think i've ever come across wallhacks, I myself have shot someone through doors or walls someone even shot me through the double doors in aztec but it was just pure luck. I've come across aimbots quite a few times but they are easy to spot because you die with 1 hs everytime and when you spectate them they appear to lock-on to someones head.

I'll be up for a game of css with you guys if you want.

Andy.
Quote from Shotglass :are we talking about the same army ?

that pic has been really taken out of context

Do you play CS:S
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG