The online racing simulator
[Tinyxp] Anyone using this?
(19 posts, started )
Is or has anyone ever thougth about using this to run live for speed on? from what i have read its quite good at running better within low budget systems so perhaps if your PC is not 'with-it' then give this [tinyxp] a try and let me us know how it goes
#2 - Jakg
I've heard of it, but if you want a minimal copy of XP i hear nLite recommended a lot more
looks to me like basically the same thing, the only noticable difference is tinyxp is an actual boot cd where as nlite can be run in within windows whle its running.
Quote from daveb948576 :looks to me like basically the same thing, the only noticable difference is tinyxp is an actual boot cd where as nlite can be run in within windows whle its running.

I'm not sure you fully grasp what nlite is/does. You run it in Windows to create a bootable disc with Windows XP on it, without all the stuff you don't need, which you then install on a computer. It's not like you just start up Nlite and all of a sudden your XP will run better. You basically create your own customised Windows XP bootable disc with it.

Also, although nLite can be great you should really take care not to remove anything of which you're not sure what it does. Removing the wrong .dll file or component of whatever can cause certain hard- or software not to work on you computer.
I have used it about 2 years. It is the best windows. The TinyXP dont waste so much ram and it has all the programs installed. I havent got any problems installing programs. If you first install it you need to get good browser (Firefox, IE), because it has OB Browser which is a pain in the ass.
Wait.. did I just see IE and "good browser" in the same sentence?

Anyway from what I see TinyXP offers premade customized installation disks? I much prefer to make my own with nLite. Apparently TinyXP is intended for those who cannot, or cannot be bothered to make their own custom disks?
#7 - AndyC
I've thought about using NLite before but i'm not sure if I should. I ahve too many things on my comp is risk loosing, is it stable and does it just install over XP?

If it does then I might install it because I could do with it when using Sonar as my computer can't take it when I have my Piano, Drums, Bass and Orchestra playing at the same time!

Andy.
#8 - Jakg
Stable? Yes

It installs WITH XP - nLite changes XP a little making it's own operating system in effect, which you then install
#9 - AndyC
Thanxs Jakg,

I think I will give it a go at the weekend because my system is starting to struggle with a few things.

Thanks again
Andy.
I used TinyXP for the year or so before I got Vista. Worked great and was much much faster than a regular XP install, for sure. (Only annoyance was that it didn't catch my audio drivers and that it was in UK English by default.)

That said, if you can deal with nLite, there's no reason not to go that route.
Quote from Batterypark :Wait.. did I just see IE and "good browser" in the same sentence?

Anyway from what I see TinyXP offers premade customized installation disks? I much prefer to make my own with nLite. Apparently TinyXP is intended for those who cannot, or cannot be bothered to make their own custom disks?

IE sucks, but it is still better browser than OB1. Believe me. Firefox till death. I have used FF since the beginning.

DeadWolfBones- you can change that in Control Panel-Regional Options.
I've just had a look on the Nlite site and although I know a few things about PC's I don't know everything and there seems to be a lot of things that you can remove. Is it difficult to get your perfect setting or can you leave most things alone and still get XP running faster?

Thanks
Andy.
I think if you don't select anything, then it will be a standard install. If you're unsure, leave it in. I think I ticked (unticked?) about two thirds of the options and have never had a problem. I do know I won't be able to use a printer with reinstalling, for example, but then I don't own one nor have the room for one, so it's fine for me to remove printer support. For many people, that would be essential. Basically you might have to do a lot of reading to really understand the control nLite gives you.

I've not used TinyXP but that may be the more sensible option if you're aren't cenfident. Alternatively, play with nLite, create an image, mount it to a virtual drive, then install it to a virtual machine and do everything you can think of doing to it. If everything still works, burn it to disc and try for real, or try removing more then repeat, if not, start over.
Quote from okijuhans :DeadWolfBones- you can change that in Control Panel-Regional Options.

Oh, I know, and I did.

Was just mildly annoying that it didn't let you pick during install.
Thanxs for the help Bob. I'll give a go tonight or tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that all Nlite does is replace the windows XP files, i.e. doesn't wipe anything off the HDD?

Thanks
Andy.
#16 - Jakg
Why do i get the feeling you'e never installed a copy of Windows before?

It will wipe the partition it wants to be installed on.
Of course I have, many times, but I usually have the need to format the partition before re-installing.
Quote from AndyC :Thanxs for the help Bob. I'll give a go tonight or tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that all Nlite does is replace the windows XP files, i.e. doesn't wipe anything off the HDD?

Thanks
Andy.

nlite modifies the *install cd*, not a current install. In order to use an nlited copy of XP you need to reinstall with the CD nlite creates (you cannot simply remove features from a current install)
Thanxs John, I was hoping that it could correct the current install but I will make a bootable CD for next time I need to install!

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG