The online racing simulator
Remove All Chicanes
(103 posts, started )
Quote from sinbad :I mean, why on earth does BL1 have a chicane at the beginning of a long very fast straight?
Proper, simple corners and combinations can be just as challenging and easily as much fun as any chicane.

Personally, I think Blackwood's hairpin/double chicane complex is one of the better turns in LFS. The multiple turns and the need to have the highest exit speed as possible means great strategy and skill are required, and it's tremendously satisfying when you get it right and go flying out onto the long straight.
Quote :
Absolutely nothing, huh

No singing

I Like LFS the way it is, chicanes are the closest I get to a work out
Quote :In general, if any Track is being reviewed for udpates from the devs, they should first look at any chicanes on that track and do all possible to remove them.

Eh,... isn't this thread funny?...
Don't expect too much...don't you think they'll have to work on something which would be useful to anyone...?

-1 also.
Removing anything at this point would do no good, and I guess it would be more work than we could gain from it. Plus, it will never happen.

But maybe the future tracks could have less chicanes? Now when there is hardly any low-speed grip issues, we could have proper slow corners and hairpins. Of course, chicanes will come slower once you smash your car to pieces driving them like a madman. But I wouldn't mind more old fashioned tracks without them, Westhill is close, but not quite. Chicanes do feel a bit cheap solution to make something like a corner sometimes. Eric should go experimenting more with more evil elevation and camper changes and corners. We hardly have blind corners or corners right after blind bends, or top of a hill etc. I think that the hardest corner we have at the moment is the T2 on SO Town reversed, pure evil but I love it so much.

edit.

Quote from The General Lee :
The only track I race is Aston Club in the FOX and I think that track is perfect.

How do you know it's perfect if you can't compare it to anything?
-10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Quote from Cargo :Before I make an Improvement Suggestion I thought I'd drag by the General mob.

Chicanes -- what are they good for?

Most real life tracks install or build-in chicanes in order to slow the cars down for safety.
We are virtual, there is zero safety to worry about. We should be going hella fast (and usually are).

There are several chicanes that are simple "cut here" markers. And servers have taken as many steps as possible to put in bumpers to stave people off from them. Is this is so, Remove the Chicane.

In general, if any Track is being reviewed for udpates from the devs, they should first look at any chicanes on that track and do all possible to remove them.

This is Live For Speed after all.

(just a thought, not a whine)

:noob:

Chicanes are fine. Keep them.
One thing: we should have more realistic suspension damage -> pepole would not run through the green chicane at 130.

I simply think, that the present suspension damage is way too tough (and I dont get why).
Well, there is SOME truth in there: Most of the chicanes in LfS don't slow us down really... If the devs would make them more distinct (like Nürburgring, 2nd to last corner), they'd actually be useful...
BL's chicanes are good, SO's chicanes are good, AS's are okay. The only chicane that really needs work is the chicane in KY that connects the long course to the oval, because it is way to fast to 'cheat' your way through it. Plus it can easily be moved over some without any side effects (ei: interferences within the track).
The chicanes in LFS are already pretty damn fast, on average. What we need is more technical sections and sequences of corners, rather than the flatout-brake-turn-flatout style of S2's new tracks.

Maybe a new track environment would help address this.

Having said that, it would be nice to see some LFS tracks without chicanes.

Aston already does this - you can race the old Historic track with only the lairy dipped chicane, or the GP track with double hairpins, and an extra slowing twist at the bottom of the back straight.

With Blackwood, it would be nice to see a configuration without the chicane - on the condition that the original surface bypassing the chicane is suitably old, bumpy, pitted, and generally unsuitable for modern racing cars (GTRs, single seaters).

Fern Bay's chicanes are a bit of a mystery. Most chicanes are added to tracks after their initial design, yet with Fern Bay there's no evidence of any previous track without the chicanes. Then again, it appears to be a partial road course (bridge), but it seems a bit odd to have so many chicanes designed into the circuit that don't actually slow you down, but just force the traffic into single file. Ouch, messy.

But what I really miss are some technical sections where you can't just floor it inbetween corners. I might not be as quick at them compared to the foot-to-the-floor tracks, but I'll have a lot more fun in the process.
we have a few tracks with no chicanes, the drag strip and the oval. chicanes are a part of racing. you have to deal with it like everyone else has. it's not like some have an unfair advantage.
It seems you all are missing what Cargo is eluding to. Very few of the chicanes in LFS are driven slow and cause you to slow. Nearly every one of them are taken flat out.

Aston (National to simplify the location) coming onto the front straight. Taken flat out. The only reason to slow is because you have a turn-in initially into the chicane. You turn in, then drive flat out through the chicane. Most people jump the curb and do not take it on the track at all.

Westhill, again, you slow slightly for the turn-in, then flat out through the chicane.

FE Club and Gold first chicane, taken flat out.

FE Green, first chicane I like. You actually brake for the chicane, not for a turn then take it flat out. Second chicane, no braking whatsoever, taken flat out. Third chicane coming onto the front stretch, again, no braking and taken flat out even though you do have to turn-in to that chicane.

Blackwood, taken flat out. The only reason it is slow is because of T1, you don't have time to get the speed up.

Kyoto GP, I personally brake coming off the oval and through the chicane. Most people just pumble over the curbs there flat out.

I'm sure I missed some.

So, Cargo's question still stands: "Chicanes -- what are they good for?" Very very few of them you slow down for.

Why are so many of the chicanes mostly after a slow section in LFS? Blackwood, FE Club/Gold, all but the first at FE Green... None of them have any speed coming into the chicane that you have to slow down for it.

Quote :Yea chicanes suck and provide no action!

In my eyes, that "action" has nothing to do with the chicane. Would have happened without the chicane. That was 2 wheel action from hitting the curb on the turn heading into the chicane. Notice that both of the cars represented in that vid did not slow in the chicane, which is the reason to have a chicane. Both cars took the chicane accelerating flat out.
I think this is one of those little things that makes the difference between fictional and real tracks. I'm not saying you can't make great fictional tracks but LFS tracks has lots of design issues. If you model a real track, you don't need to design it unlike Eric have had to do. The real track has been designed, built years ago and have been in use for years most likely. If there were weird things they've been already redesigned and remade. I'm sure Eric has designed the chicanes to be run slow but as you know, it's not quite working in the game.

I agree with the OP and even more so with mrodgers (I think :P )

Chicanes are a great technical part to any RL track. However, the ones in LFS simply either serve no speed/tech purpose or they do it in such a wrong way that they cause a rather nasty section rather then force people to concentrate.

IMO, most LFS tracks are simply too fast (with the exception of SO) and require little to no tech driving. All they require is rinse and repeat "perfect" corner entry.
One good example of a good section in LFS is SO town course rev; the downhill before the chicane. Even the best pros can have a dificult time taking that one the way they want time after time. That IMO is the beauty or racing. Not the chase for a PB we see on so many other tracks.

Racing with tricky cars, such as the LX's and the RAC, makes the tracks a bit more challanging but it's simply not enough.
Quote from mrodgers :It seems you all are missing what Cargo is eluding to. Very few of the chicanes in LFS are driven slow and cause you to slow. Nearly every one of them are taken flat out.

Aston (National to simplify the location) coming onto the front straight. Taken flat out. The only reason to slow is because you have a turn-in initially into the chicane. You turn in, then drive flat out through the chicane. Most people jump the curb and do not take it on the track at all.

Westhill, again, you slow slightly for the turn-in, then flat out through the chicane.

FE Club and Gold first chicane, taken flat out.

FE Green, first chicane I like. You actually brake for the chicane, not for a turn then take it flat out. Second chicane, no braking whatsoever, taken flat out. Third chicane coming onto the front stretch, again, no braking and taken flat out even though you do have to turn-in to that chicane.

Blackwood, taken flat out. The only reason it is slow is because of T1, you don't have time to get the speed up.

Kyoto GP, I personally brake coming off the oval and through the chicane. Most people just pumble over the curbs there flat out.

I'm sure I missed some.

So, Cargo's question still stands: "Chicanes -- what are they good for?" Very very few of them you slow down for.

Why are so many of the chicanes mostly after a slow section in LFS? Blackwood, FE Club/Gold, all but the first at FE Green... None of them have any speed coming into the chicane that you have to slow down for it.

In my eyes, that "action" has nothing to do with the chicane. Would have happened without the chicane. That was 2 wheel action from hitting the curb on the turn heading into the chicane. Notice that both of the cars represented in that vid did not slow in the chicane, which is the reason to have a chicane. Both cars took the chicane accelerating flat out.

The guy is quite clearly eluding to remove all chicanes, maybe you should re-read it?

LFS has many different types of chicanes, slow and fast. All require a line and steering to get through, braking before a chicane means the chicane is doing its job.

Also try those chicanes flat out IN REVERSE CONFIG?
Quote from MAGGOT :There are two which I think should be removed; the one leading onto the main straight at Aston, and the one at Westhill. Both are very strange and unrealistic sections imho.

All the rest should stay, though. IMHO of course.

These are the only two that are worth a damn (except maybe the one at BL).
Mike said pretty much what I wanted to say. Cargo wasn't saying that we should get rid of all corners and have ovals (lolololol, good one, guys). He's asking for better corners that actually do provide passing opportunities rather than funnels that cause accidents and don't require any real finesse. Most of the chicanes in LFS are pretty useless--not all, but most. More technical sections would indeed be a great improvement.
Why not remove all human interaction from the game.
Just pay you license fee and get a bot named after you.

Then, you've lots more time for more important things, and don't have to waste time on trivial issues ( skills and such).

And you have a built-in excuse for poor performance - "It wasn't me actually driving".
Quote from DeadWolfBones :He's asking for better corners that actually do provide passing opportunities rather than funnels that cause accidents and don't require any real finesse.

Chicanes provide great passing opportunities. After you nail one, there's 3 or 4 people trying to regain control.

The South City Classic, and Fern Bay chicanes seem like exercises in slowing cars down for no apparent reason, but the rest seem pretty well placed to make things interesting, imho.
Quote from richy :The guy is quite clearly eluding to remove all chicanes, maybe you should re-read it?

Nope, because I know him and he's posted in other topics of this interest as well. I do know he is speaking of the flatout driving straight through the LFS chicanes....

Quote :LFS has many different types of chicanes, slow and fast. All require a line and steering to get through, braking before a chicane means the chicane is doing its job.

Also try those chicanes flat out IN REVERSE CONFIG?

Tell me one chicane in LFS that you DON'T go flat out through (except SO Classic). In every chicane, the slowing and braking is due to a corner right at the chicane entrance (exit in reverse) rather than the chicane itself. FE Green on the main straight (and I'll add coming off the oval at KY GP since I don't curb hop) is the only ones I can think of that you actually brake for the chicane, rather than for a corner right before the chicane. LFS chicanes are nothing more than acceleration zones after navigating the corner. Take the chicanes away and it changes nothing with the speed of that section because the slowing is caused by the corners, not the chicanes. Note my examples in the post above. Remove each of those chicanes and does anything change? Nope.
The most odd one I think is on FE green/black, coming up from the beach, it's a normal sweeping corner, and would be great to go two wide around, but there's an oddly placed chicane right at the top of the hill. It doesn't slow anything down, it just eliminates the chance for side by side driving.

Ones like that I wish were removed.
Chicanes seperate the Racers from the Drivers and Wan-a-bees. When was the last time you saw a pair of cars stay side by side through a chicane and not connect or back off. Not often because many of you people, and I am talking to those the want to have the tracks made easier, do not have the skill, patience or insite to pick a propper place to pass, wait for a good passing oppertunity and think the you have some god given right to lap slower cars and they should jusp out of your way instantly.

Ok, sorry for ranting but if you want easy go play NFS.
#49 - Woz
Quote from Gimpster :Chicanes seperate the Racers from the Drivers and Wan-a-bees. When was the last time you saw a pair of cars stay side by side through a chicane and not connect or back off. Not often because many of you people, and I am talking to those the want to have the tracks made easier, do not have the skill, patience or insite to pick a propper place to pass, wait for a good passing oppertunity and think the you have some god given right to lap slower cars and they should jusp out of your way instantly.

+1

As always with many in LFS it boils down to people not knowing when they should Yield in a corner and when they can hold their line.
Am I the only one who supports the topic starter? Actually I don't think the devs should remove the existing chicanes, but there should be more empasis on fast and difficult turns.
Quote from Gimpster :Chicanes seperate the Racers from the Drivers and Wan-a-bees. When was the last time you saw a pair of cars stay side by side through a chicane and not connect or back off. Not often because many of you people, and I am talking to those the want to have the tracks made easier, do not have the skill, patience or insite to pick a propper place to pass, wait for a good passing oppertunity and think the you have some god given right to lap slower cars and they should jusp out of your way instantly.

IMO you are exaggerating. Speedy turns also require a lot of skill, and at the end of the turn a fast driver can gain +10..+20kph against a slow driver. Take for instance the 2nd sector of FE3: the first right turn there is a big challenge, it is quite difficult to get there at the right moment/place. And it is much more interesting than do brake-left-right in chicanes. Take T1@SO1 or T1@SO4R - these really divide good and bad drivers.

Remove All Chicanes
(103 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG