The online racing simulator
real auto transmission
(83 posts, started )
Quote from JTbo :Is it really something away from you if there would be proper autogearbox? Surely it is not advantage as it looses power, it would be much better than current robot gears, as that would add realism, imo.

Current robotgear should be replaced with proper automatic simulation.

I understand your point, robot operated manual gearboxes aren't very realistic, but when we drive a car in LFS it is meant to be identical to every other example of the same model on the grid. Well at least that's what I've always hoped was the philosophy, but of course we have the RHD/LHD thing which sort of shoots that down.
Anyway, that's why auto-gears is a driver aid, rather than auto-box being in there as a mechanical modification..........I think.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :HAH, Thanks for confirming this - I knew that had to be the case despite all the marketing poop.

I suspect that they would have issues transferring large amounts of torque reliably as well?

I would mention that I don't think CVTs in the current state could handle lots of torque, but I don't talk to avatar AND signature [style] thieves!
Quote from sinbad :Anyway, that's why auto-gears is a driver aid, rather than auto-box being in there as a mechanical modification..........I think.

I would like a source of any racing that uses an automatic transmission. It's really quite simple, no one uses an automatic transmission in racing. It immediately puts you at a disadvantage of power loss through the mechanicals and the disadvantage of not being able to select the proper gear at the proper time. It is simply unrealistic to have the option of an automatic transmission in a pure racing simulation.
I think some Top Fuel cars use Auto boxes.

Of course, they rip out a lot of the internals, weld bits together, and give it manual control... but still.
Quote from VTiRoj :Monster Truck Madness 2 has P, R, N, 1, 2, 3.

But it isn't an actual auto transmission. I downloaded the demo and tested it.
Quote from tristancliffe :I would mention that I don't think CVTs in the current state could handle lots of torque, but I don't talk to avatar AND signature [style] thieves!

Hmm, I guess the sig does bear a resemblance... I just like the colors and randomly changed it, what a coincidence!
It's less than 50% (by character) of your sig style, so really, it's not like stealing.

(if it really bothers you I'll remove it BTW)

Quote from mrodgers :I would like a source of any racing that uses an automatic transmission. It's really quite simple, no one uses an automatic transmission in racing. It immediately puts you at a disadvantage of power loss through the mechanicals and the disadvantage of not being able to select the proper gear at the proper time. It is simply unrealistic to have the option of an automatic transmission in a pure racing simulation.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=356485#post356485
#57 - JTbo
Quote from mrodgers :I would like a source of any racing that uses an automatic transmission. It's really quite simple, no one uses an automatic transmission in racing. It immediately puts you at a disadvantage of power loss through the mechanicals and the disadvantage of not being able to select the proper gear at the proper time. It is simply unrealistic to have the option of an automatic transmission in a pure racing simulation.

Those are exact reasons why we should have proper auto instead of current auto, now it is not giving realistic effect when using auto gears, if one uses auto gears at least that should be somehow realistic affect to performance, don't you think?
Also driving should be influenced accordingly.

Imo, current way is far more unrealistic, let it be driver help, but those should not work by magic, but with realistic methods.
I'm not that fussed about the theft really, but it is becoming hard to tell what I have posted and what you have posted. At times it looks as though I'm having in-depth conversations with myself, and that's just odd.
I see what you mean, BBT. I wonder what tristan's opinon is?
LOL ^^^

@JTBo, I 100% agree with you, but I can't "thank you" anymore so now I have to post again

But what about if (let's say) the devs got the license to include some AMG Mercedes' road cars? Then it would be realistic enough to have a proper automatic transmission. Your point about it being unrealistic for racing cars is taken, and you're right, there are none that I can think of. But my point was that some of the LFS cars are supposed to be road cars, and the devs decided that they were all fitted with manual gearboxes, so that shouldn't be alterable. IF they were to include a road car that was fitted with a slush-box, then we couldn't exactly say they were wrong.
I would be a waste of time for the dev.
Come on guys, what the hell is going on here? It's a RACING simulator. I know that an automatic gearbox would fit perfectly for """nascar""" races but when there is turns on a track you don't need stuff like these.

"Automatic gearbox" "Cruise controle" are two useless suggestion topic. Realy so -1.
Quote from shadow2kx :I would be a waste of time for the dev.
Come on guys, what the hell is going on here? It's a RACING simulator. I know that an automatic gearbox would fit perfectly for """nascar""" races but when there is turns on a track you don't need stuff like these.

I know you Germans hate to be told you're wrong, but Nextel Cup stock cars (for some reason forum people seem to think NASCAR is s type of car not a sacntioning body)usually use 4 speed manual transmitions. The reason is simple, you just don't need a 5 or 6 speed on an oval. A 4 speed transmition has lower rotational inertia and energy loss than a 5 or 6 speed, as well as less overall mass (so they can have mass free to centralize where ever they want).

There is however a local front wheel drive compact stock car class at my local track that requires the use of the stock engine and (explicitly stated) Auto transmition. The class is geared toward budget racers and tends to give some very competitive racing. I'm trying to see if I can afford to race in this class now actually
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :I know you Germans hate to be told you're wrong, but stock cars usually use 4 speed manual transmitions. The reason is simple, you just don't need a 5 or 6 speed on an oval. A 4 speed transmition has lower rotational inertia and energy loss than a 5 or 6 speed, as well as less overall mass (so they can have mass free to centralize where ever they want).

First of all i'm not german
And secondly it was a joke
haha, that flag does look awfully similiar to germanys though!

you're belgian right?
Quote from Phill :haha, that flag does look awfully similiar to germanys though!

Only if you're blind...
hey, wow... im not the blind one... KeiichiRX7 is!
... Unless you're laying on your side and have partial visual dyslexia of color...
Yhea i know german copyed ther flag on us. And they didn't do it well what a shame

=/=
Blah, Offhand I could have sworn the german flag was black yellow red. My bad. On the visual dyslexia i was going to respond with "just depends which side you're laying on doesnt it?" but i guess that doesn't work now.

Anyway, yeah, how bout those automatic transmitions j/k

On an unrelated note: Anyone else here get migraine headaches? Just started getting them and wondered about advice for dealing with them.
#74 - JTbo
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :
On an unrelated note: Anyone else here get migraine headaches? Just started getting them and wondered about advice for dealing with them.

Aye, one thing is to get your vision checked, you may need glasses and those really do help (been there....) then get massage for upper body at least, reqularily, one part of problem is tension at shoulders/neck. Also pole walking helps (walking with sticks, eh, that crazy finn thing?).

Then drink enough water, sometimes it can be part of problem too.
im thinking a transmission upgrade could take some of my headache away!

real auto transmission
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG