The online racing simulator
Start of the week?
(41 posts, started )
Quote from hrtburnout :It's monday, today I had school from 8:15 to 9:00 and 12:00 to 15:00 :tired:
I HATE SCHOOL :mad:

Are you kidding me? Only 8:15 to 9:00 then 12:00 to 15:00. I get up at 6:30, and i dont get home till 16:30. Dont act like you have it bad. I shouldnt either. Its not like school is a torture zone.
Well, Mr Vendetta, have you read my other posts then? I don't have a problem with 4 hours a day, it's just that it's spread too much over the day. I have days from 8:00 to 15:00 too, but I have no problems with that.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Hmm... my eeling tells me that Monday is the first day of a week. But in German, wednesday is "Mittwoch" which is the "middle of the week". But if Monday would be the first day, Thursday would be in the middle...

But honestly, i don't care. Guess everyone could start the week whenever he want's.

Saturday and Sunday is WeekEND... End of the week, as in "not the week anymore"... So there's only 5 days in the week:

monday - montag
tuesday - dienstag
wednesday - mittwoch <-- middle of the week
thursday - donnerstag
friday - freitag

To all dutch peeps that said they've always learned sunday was the start of the week... What kind of elementary school did you go to?
Katholiek, Protestants Christelijk, Gereformeerd, of openbaar?
sunday...
Quote from TagForce :
monday - montag
tuesday - dienstag
thursday - donnerstag
friday - freitag

...saturday

Quote from TagForce :To all dutch peeps that said they've always learned sunday was the start of the week... What kind of elementary school did you go to?

Openbaar.
Who would think a thread with a question like this get 30 replies?

31 including my post
Quote from Bob Smith :sunday...

...saturday

Here you go ruining my very nicely formulated option number 3 for when does the week start/end... I was hoping I'd get some of you confuzzled.
Quote from TagForce :

To all dutch peeps that said they've always learned sunday was the start of the week... What kind of elementary school did you go to?

Protestants Christelijk
Quote from TagForce :Saturday and Sunday is WeekEND... End of the week, as in "not the week anymore"... So there's only 5 days in the week:

monday - montag
tuesday - dienstag
thursday - donnerstag
friday - freitag

Saturday and Sunday are part of the week :P

But your able brings me to another interesting observation: 2000 years of christian domination in europe, but still we use old, "pagan" names for the days:

Montag = monday, day to honour germanic diety Mani, god of the moon.
Dienstag = tuesday, day to honour the germanic diety Ziu, Tiu or Tyr, also known as Saxnot, the god of war
Donnerstag = thursday, day to honour the germanic diety Donar or Thor, god of thunder
Freitag = friday, day to honor the germanic diety Freya, goddess of fertility (who is also the origin of the Easterbunny and -eggs...)
Sonntag = Sunday, day to honour the gemranic diety Sunna or Sol, goddess of the sun.

Mittwoch is obvioulsy not religion related, and the german "Samstag" is originating from the jewish Shabbat, so can be regarded as Christian.

Wednesday is the day to honour Woden or Wotan or Odin, the supreme god of germanic mythology
The english saturday on the other hand is the day to honour the roman diety Saturn, god of farming.

EDIT: So pretty mch every weekday has germanic or nordic roots. Only Saturday is out of place with a roman/jewish name... guess I need ot research on that matter, as germanic people would have had definately their own name for this day. So why was it dropped?
Quote from ColeusRattus :Saturday and Sunday are part of the week :P

But your able brings me to another interesting observation: 2000 years of christian domination in europe, but still we use old, "pagan" names for the days:

Montag = monday, day to honour germanic diety Mani, god of the moon.
Dienstag = tuesday, day to honour the germanic diety Ziu, Tiu or Tyr, also known as Saxnot, the god of war
Donnerstag = thursday, day to honour the germanic diety Donar or Thor, god of thunder
Freitag = friday, day to honor the germanic diety Freya, goddess of fertility (who is also the origin of the Easterbunny and -eggs...)
Sonntag = Sunday, day to honour the gemranic diety Sunna or Sol, goddess of the sun.

Mittwoch is obvioulsy not religion related, and the german "Samstag" is originating from the jewish Shabbat, so can be regarded as Christian.

Wednesday is the day to honour Woden or Wotan or Odin, the supreme god of germanic mythology
The english saturday on the other hand is the day to honour the roman diety Saturn, god of farming.

EDIT: So pretty mch every weekday has germanic or nordic roots. Only Saturday is out of place with a roman/jewish name... guess I need ot research on that matter, as germanic people would have had definately their own name for this day. So why was it dropped?

I don't know why Saturday was dropped...
I do know that a lot of christian holidays were set to pagan days of feasting to make it easier for them to adopt to the new christian religion.
Christmas being the biggest, was set to the days of the pagan midwinter soltice.
Quote from TagForce :I don't know why Saturday was dropped...
I do know that a lot of christian holidays were set to pagan days of feasting to make it easier for them to adopt to the new christian religion.
Christmas being the biggest, was set to the days of the pagan midwinter soltice.

Yeah, but all these days have been renamed to something christian... not the weekdays though. But perhaps 't was not to confuse weekdays with holydays designated to saints...
Quote from (SaM) :What Is the First Day of the Week?
  • The Bible clearly makes the Sabbath the last day of the week, but does not share how that corresponds to our 7 day week. Yet through extra-biblical sources it is possible to determine that the Sabbath at the time of Christ corresponds to our current 'Saturday.' Therefore it is common Jewish and Christian practice to regard Sunday as the first day of the week (as is also evident from the Portuguese names for the week days). However, the fact that, for example, Russian uses the name "second" for Tuesday, indicates that some nations regard Monday as the first day.

In international standard ISO-8601 the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has decreed that Monday shall be the first day of the week.
Source: http://webexhibits.org/calenda ... CTION00650000000000000000

And what if I don't like the Christian way of thinking, nor the International Standardization Organisation? From this day forth, the thursday shall be the start of the week for all things LFS!
Friday sounds more reasonable for the start of the week almighty one. Its not a school day
Well, for me it has always been Sunday as the start of the week, but Monday as the start of the *working* week (same as Saturday would be the end of the week, but Friday the end of the working week).

Quote from TagForce :And what if I don't like the Christian way of thinking, nor the International Standardization Organisation? From this day forth, the thursday shall be the start of the week for all things LFS!

Well then you can just scrap the entire date system and come up with something new. After all, you have your years defined by Christ's birth and you have the start of the week defined by Jewish/Christian tradition.

Or shall we declare Friday the start of the week (oh wait, the concept of week is from the Bible too... we'll need to scrap that ) and make it the Year of the Sprocket?

Quote from (SaM) :In international standard ISO-8601 the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has decreed that Monday shall be the first day of the week.

You do realise that the majority of ISO standards are not universally accepted by countries. Despite the name, the ISO group is not wholly international

Quote :However, the fact that, for example, Russian uses the name "second" for Tuesday, indicates that some nations regard Monday as the first day.

Go a short period back in history and you will find drastic changes that were made to the Russian language, prior to which the names of the week were not the same (this is if I remember correctly from history classes of years gone by... But that is unlikey )
Double post!

Start of the week?
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG