Brandey spankin DeLorean anyone?
(19 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
#2 - JTbo
What a beautiful car it is, I want one
Rubbish cars when new, rubbish now. Only good things were the doors and the film tie-in. If it wasn't for that, and the intrigue caused by all the finance scandals then no sensible person would have bought one.
#4 - Gunn
I remember when the car was first released. We all thought it looked quite good compared to what was available in those days (with the exception of certain real supercars). Reports were that it was too heavy, handled like a bucket of shit and didn't stop (or go) very well either.

Rumours were rife that De Lorean dumped the panel molds and other templates into the Channel when his life hit rock bottom. A decade later rumours were rife that someone planned to salvage that stuff.

I don't know how much truth was in those rumours, but today the car would probably best serve the world as an artificial reef than a road-going vehicle.
#5 - JTbo
It look kewl and has Volvo engine so it must be good, telling something else is just falses of misguided
I had always heard the Delorean had a Mazda engine .

Definitely a "cool" car in it's day. But I've never driven one. Tristan seems to have driven every car ever manufactured and has an opinion on every car ever manufactured. He says it's rubbish, so I guess it's rubbish.
#7 - JTbo
Quote from mrodgers :I had always heard the Delorean had a Mazda engine .

No it has not Mazda engine but PRV V6, it is PeugeotRenaultVolvo engine
i heard that the car is irish or was designed in ireland something like that anyway which would explain why its rubbish its a good looking car but the only value it really holds is because its from back to the future. and i think im correct in saying that most delorean's on the road today are "work in progress" for their owners to get them to look exactly like the one in the movies, which is rather pathetic in my opinion
the car is made and repaired in northern ireland

thats a peice of rubbish made by a drug dealer ( the guy who made it was caught with 20 kg's of coke )

its a car with a v8 engine and less then 200 hp
#10 - JTbo
The V6 wasn't a good one anyway. Not much power, too much weight, terrible handling, bendy, wobbly body. Not a good car in the slightest.

And irishnoobs history lessons need a bit of work.
#12 - JTbo
Quote from tristancliffe :The V6 wasn't a good one anyway. Not much power, too much weight, terrible handling, bendy, wobbly body. Not a good car in the slightest.

And irishnoobs history lessons need a bit of work.

Renault did some improvements to engine and 2000-> versions starts to be rather good, now take one of those to De Lorean and engine is sorted, then do new electrics and fuel lines and car might actually work without bursting to fire
Quote from theirishnoob :the car is made and repaired in northern ireland

................ drug dealer

now now, your painting people with the same brush. there's more dealers in the south than there is in the north. the north gets most of its drugs from the south. get your facts straight. *pffft, bloody tinkers. you can't believe a word they say *
Quote from mrodgers :Tristan seems to have driven every car ever manufactured and has an opinion on every car ever manufactured. He says it's rubbish, so I guess it's rubbish.

must be right!
No, haven't driven one. Can still hold an opinion based on road tests, friends (who have driven them, like Ian Fraser who's name should mean something to avid Car fans) etc.

Of course, given the opportunity, I'd love to drive one. But I don't think I'll like it.

Missed out a change to drive a classic V8 Morgan earlier today, but it was smoking terribly on the over-run and was retired to the workshop. Fortunately we've not done any work on the engine (yet).
#16 - JTbo
Some reading to those that are interested from it, suspension etc.

http://www.entermyworld.com/articles/road-test/

Choose magazine from right side menu and it will list scans from that magazine, should keep you busy for moment or two

Certainly car can't be too good handling as engine is mounted so rear and to keep it from spinning front tires are so narrow compared to rears. Also car just have not power, you can't drive it by loud pedal, it is just pretty car, not one that is owned because of handling.

edit: My smaller Volvo is faster, accelerates faster and handles better than de lorean, so you can imagine how bad sports car it have to be as crappy cheap family's 2nd car (shopping car) beats it.
i am not sticking up for the car but if you dropped a lowering spring or 4 into it and lowered the tyre profile i think that the del would look cool. i have heard stories of drivers having to drive home with the gearbox dragging under the car. but i don't know, there's something about it the i find cool looking. probs the whole gull wing doors thing.
and what was doc brown thinking of when he put a food blender on it
The only experience I have with the Delorean is the guy down the road who had one. He got caught cheating on his wife and she backed her minivan into every square inch of the car. There wasn't a straight piece of metal left on that thing.
#19 - JTbo
Quote from mrodgers :The only experience I have with the Delorean is the guy down the road who had one. He got caught cheating on his wife and she backed her minivan into every square inch of the car. There wasn't a straight piece of metal left on that thing.

Damn, there should be device where car won't start if woman is in such mentally unstable state, it is far worse than driving in drunk.

But then it could be that there would be lot less woman drivers on road, you see if they see discount of shoes in shop window it is bang mentally unstable state kicks in. Of course there is few exceptions for rule, but generally it seem to be like this

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG