The online racing simulator
Why?...
(20 posts, started )
Why?...
Do people insist that if someone gives a point that they don't like or think is a slight bit noobish the person is a 13 yr old or a stupid teenager. I get pretty pissed off with so called adults who get into arguements with other so called adults then call each other stupid teenagers and daft twelve yr olds. TBH the way that education is and the advancement in technologies etc means that a lot of us teenagers have equal knowledge to most of you "adults". How would you guys like it if i said, i cba teaching daft 50 year olds how to install a program for example. I know my nephew can do it and his 9 whereas i know a lot of adults who would get lost at the first sign of some computer jargon. My point is, it ain't nice, it ain't funny and it ain't true. So please "adults" stop this form of flaming. It's mindless and annoying and i get pretty pissed off when people think that just because we are 12-16 we don't know anything.
Ego - it's as simple as that, and true for many (most?) cases. Some people can't deal with youngsters who have a greater knowledge than them. Doesn't have to do with knowledge alone. Teenagers (generally speaking) have more spare time than adults, and can therefore more easily become better at something.. like LFS.
As a 'senior' (as in OLD) member of this forum, and therefore what could be considered a mature responsible adult..
I sincerely hope that the comments above were not aimed at ALL adults, in the way that not ALL the comments made by teenagers are not immediately flamed and branded as stupid.
There are quite a few younger members on here that put forward inteliigent, well structured arguments and points of view. I dont recall any of them getting flamed for being n00bish.
Unfortunately, there are also quite a few older people that act like juveniles. These are the ones that can usually expect a few comments headed their way!
It may came as a complete surprise to you, but not everybody over 35 is a total idiot as far as technological advances are concerned!
Furthrmore, PLEASE do NOT get me started on the argument of Modern Education is better now than it was in the past....one of my favourite examples: can you use a slide rule?
I am absolutely APPALLED by the standards of 'modern education'.. and before you ask "What do I know about it?", I have a 14 year old daughter that is currently having it shoved down her throat every day!
As a parent i can assure you that the majority (maybe not you, but I cannot judge individuals) of 12-16 year olds THINK that they know it all, and nobody can teach them anything.
I can also inform you that there is a lot to learn, this is called 'experience''; knowledge and experience are NOT the same thing!
A very wise ancient person once said: "The first step to knowledge is admitting that you know nothing".

As a footnote, I could probably find a few grammatical faults with your post, but to be perfectly frank..."i cba"!!
I know that there may be some errors in my post, as there may be some errors in most things on the internet. I also agree that a lot of teenagers think they know it all and get arrogant at times. My thread was about stereotypes thus i was not stereotyping adults as a whole. It was just my example.
Quote from BenjiMC :I know that there may be some errors in my post, as there may be some errors in most things on the internet. I also agree that a lot of teenagers think they know it all and get arrogant at times. My thread was about stereotypes thus i was not stereotyping adults as a whole. It was just my example.

When I was 13...I thought I knew it all. Boy, was I wrong.

When I turned 18, I thought I had life by the tail...and quickly realized that I was just "birthed" into being an adult.

when I turned 30, I came to the realization of what I just posted above. I guess what I am trying to say is, that if you treat every day, month and year as an experience to learn from, you will benefit deeply. Age is not always a mark of wisdom, just experience in life. Those who think their age grants them wisdom, revel in ignorance and foolish pride. In my time, I have met foolish senior citizens and children that carry the weight of the world with them.
I just respond - like I think a lot of people do - to the content of a post without having a clue how old the poster is But if a post is, for example, spammy, shabby, incoherent or ignorant, full of txt spk and lolz and contains nothing at all interesting or relevant or original, people are just going to assume it's some kid with half a clue and too much free time - because people mostly assume anyone who's an adult can communicate with some degree of skill (or at least try, if there's a language barrier or something) as well as displaying some working knowledge about the topic at hand.

It might not be fair that people generalise like that, but it's just the way it is online - you don't know jack about anyone and all you have to go on is how they communicate with you and other people. If their skills are sloppy you will most probably think less of them, despite your best efforts not to judge people. I guess the best way to prevent people thinking you're just some silly kid (or some halfwit adult) is to think (and maybe proofread) before you post and not get involved in stupid arguments or flamewars

For the record I just hit 31 and it sorta felt like 21 all over again (which felt like 18, which sort of felt like 13) - I realised I don't actually know shit. It's like a reboot
I just post shit always, doesn't matter who it's to.
#8 - FL!P
No need to generalize. Check the profile of the person you're replying to. Most show their age; others don't, but sometimes give obvious clues, like "occupation: school".
Still, most of the time I simply don't care how old someone is They posteth crap, they shall receiveth crap in kind
Agree with the flaming part, but I certainly don't agree with the fact that some teenagers are now as smart as adults.. in Estonia at least, education has went downhill compared to what it was 40 years ago (when Estonia was USSR). One of the reasons is that before, the elementary school was 3 classes, and then "specialized" teachers came, who teached only 1 or 2 different erm.. subjects. But now, a poor teacher, who before teached for 3 years, must teach for 6 years! And where do we get - after the third year, some teachers are not so well aquainted with the things, and do things "by the book" not knowing things exactly themselves.. I sometimes find myself pretty bored in school, altough I luckily got many teachers in the sixth grade.

I think I'm one of those normal 13-year olds, I haven't been flamed so far, but I don't think I know it all. there's so much to learn .
Quote from Lible :in Estonia at least, education has went downhill compared to what it was 40 years ago

You have got to be kidding me?

Then again when I was 13 I thought school sucked and I only went there because I was told to. So now when you really have to learn at school and it takes 12 years rather than 5 (or whatever) that it did 40 years ago then indeed you could say the education has gone downhill.

By that post you just showed that you are indeed a "normal" 13 year old.
Just don't conform to it, its as simple as that and there is nothing wrong with Ego.. In the REAL Social world, work and school, but more based on school

There is only 2 ways to be. Tough, or Funny. Its as simple as that, i just come across like an idiot all the time on these forums, but i can garentee alot more people would agree with me, if i was face to face with them.
Quote from Kalev EST :You have got to be kidding me?

Then again when I was 13 I thought school sucked and I only went there because I was told to. So now when you really have to learn at school and it takes 12 years rather than 5 (or whatever) that it did 40 years ago then indeed you could say the education has gone downhill.

By that post you just showed that you are indeed a "normal" 13 year old.

5 in school 40 years ago.. you've got to be kidding, at least 30 years ago it was AT LEAST 11 years, but now everyone are talkign "Oh no, everything is so hard" Even a damn teacher said "This new exam was really strange, there were exercises (or whatever) in it that haven't been practised before. People are teached to do EXERCISES, not to use the skills in actual life.. Ah, I'm not going to write on.
Quote from Lible :5 in school 40 years ago.. you've got to be kidding, at least 30 years ago it was AT LEAST 11 years, but now everyone are talkign "Oh no, everything is so hard" Even a damn teacher said "This new exam was really strange, there were exercises (or whatever) in it that haven't been practised before. People are teached to do EXERCISES, not to use the skills in actual life.. Ah, I'm not going to write on.

40 years ago it was 8 years in school. Happy now? Still a third less than now. And 40 years ago you mostly had to learn Soviet Constitution, principles of communism and the life story of Lenin, Stalin and Marx. Those were really useful skills to use in real life.... Are you really seriously with a straight face saying that people who graduated 40 years ago were given a better education than the ones that graduate now?
Well, you got me for a while on this one..
I'm not going to talk what I want to talk right now simply because some may already think I'm a fan of the USSR already - I'm not.
Let's end this now.
I have spoken and raced against lots of people and thought...

"WOW, I feel kind of small here. I'm racing, talking to and having a laugh with Deko. He is well known and I'm not well known and only 16."

I later find he is also 16, just mature and funny at the same time.

Then again, with another racer, I wont say his name for obvious reasons...Just the way he reacted to crashes and restarting races because he crashed, but not restarting when he got away with a clean start. I then asked his age to find he was 13.

Its like car insurence, I have to pay way over the top because alot of people my age drive like wankers, where as I dont, but I still have to pay over the top because of the knobs.

I am sure there are many 13 year olds who are very adult. But its the idiots that give them a bad name. When I was 13, I got treated my an adult by the people around me, because they knew my dad and I looked older, so being treated like an adult, I found I acted more like an adult. Shame some youngsters here arn't the same...
Joke in todays paper...

"I asked my parents to start treating me like an adult...and all they did was to get me a JOB!!"
Quote from Bladerunner :Joke in todays paper...

"I asked my parents to start treating me like an adult...and all they did was to get me a JOB!!"

LOL
My daughter is also 14. Here, the education really sucks. The only thing they really learn is how to memorize answers to a standardized test. They have no real clue as to what the test question means or why the answer is correct.
Just that X answer matches X question. The school district that my kids goes to quite literally cares more about whether or not a child's shirt is tucked in that if the kid can read or write. I'm not making that up or exaggerating.
Quote from The General Lee :I am sure there are many 13 year olds who are very adult. But its the idiots that give them a bad name. When I was 13, I got treated my an adult by the people around me, because they knew my dad and I looked older, so being treated like an adult, I found I acted more like an adult. Shame some youngsters here arn't the same...

That's very true right there. I have been told by many people that I have "matured" in the last few years.
I talk to people online who don't know me, they go to ask my age and some are kinda surprised when I say I'm 16.
But there's alot of 16 year olds that give a bad name which is pretty stupid. I mean haven't some of them got anything better else to do other than hang around a street corner smoking cigs or drinking alcohol. I sure as hell don't do that. I just wish these kids would actually do something with their lives rather than waste it on crap.
Quote from Racer Y :LOL
My daughter is also 14. Here, the education really sucks. The only thing they really learn is how to memorize answers to a standardized test. They have no real clue as to what the test question means or why the answer is correct.
Just that X answer matches X question. The school district that my kids goes to quite literally cares more about whether or not a child's shirt is tucked in that if the kid can read or write. I'm not making that up or exaggerating.

Ouch, that's even worse than here. (Read my previous post in this thread).

Why?...
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG