The online racing simulator
Triple Head or 42 inch TV?
(13 posts, started )
A guesstimate tells me that cost would be almost the same (asuming a cheap LCD tv this is). What would you choose, and why?
OK, A triplehead setup has the advantage of giving you a very wide aspect. Disadvantages are the breaks inbetween the monitors.

Large screen LCD has the advantage of being useful for other things like movies as well as games. Not quite as wide an aspect as the triplehead setup, but wider than a standard monitor.

So basically, if you think you will use it for viewing movies as well, then go for the large LCD. If just for games i'd recommend the triplehead.
Quote from GFresh :So basically, if you think you will use it for viewing movies as well, then go for the large LCD. If just for games i'd recommend the triplehead.

Thats a good answer, I have to consider the wife on this!
Personally I'd go with the 42" with a condition:

I'd try to find a 1080p (1920x1080) vs 720p (1366x768). While the difference when watching hd tv/movies might not be that much, when using it for general computing, 720p has very low total pixel count.

GL!
Quote from srdsprinter :Personally I'd go with the 42" with a condition:

I'd try to find a 1080p (1920x1080) vs 720p (1366x768). While the difference when watching hd tv/movies might not be that much, when using it for general computing, 720p has very low total pixel count.

GL!

Good point. But that means I would have to spend a lot more in the TV than in the triplehead solution. I will have to check costs.
For me, it would be the choice between making it more lifesized, or more view. I would choose the more lifesize with the 42 inch job and mount that puppy same as my CRT is now, directly behind and touching the base of my wheel .

But then, they don't look so good up close (can see the pixels with it a foot away...), so perhaps I would go with the triple...

Well, then there is my choice. Since I like to replicate my display as being the windscreen, and the distance between my display and my wheel as the dash area as best I can, I would probably change my decision and go with the triple head-2-go.
You may not need to buy th2g, I'm running 5040x1050 resolution with a 8600GT , c2d E6600 cpu, 2 gigs RAM and getting fps round the 35-40 mark. Might make the 3 screens solution bit cheaper in your calculations if you don't need th2g.

I'm running 3x22" 16:10 LCDs and I have to say it's quite cool. I'm new to LFS so can't really go into detail on the advantages of the wide resolution in racing, but I'd say it's rather useful. If I turn off the 2 side monitors it feels like i'm blind to both sides!

I think the reply concerning your use outside of games is very true. 42" TV is very nice in it's usefulness for other things outside of gaming. Hope that helps.
Quote from Crazy Horse :You may not need to buy th2g, I'm running 5040x1050 resolution with a 8600GT , c2d E6600 cpu, 2 gigs RAM and getting fps round the 35-40 mark. Might make the 3 screens solution bit cheaper in your calculations if you don't need th2g.

How do you do that? AFAIK video cards have only two connections (for two monitors)
Sorry I should have said, I have a second video card (7600GT) for the 3rd monitor. But its specs aren't important and could be a lot lower spec as softTH only uses your main card to render the game and the second card is only used to deliver the frames to the 3rd monitor, not do any real work.
you need a second video vard (and a mobo which offers two PCI-E slots). 2nd card can be really cheap one like 6600gts or something. finally you need a little program called "softth". but i would go for the th2go as well, because its supporting a lot more games (http://www.matrox.com/graphics ... cts/th2go/gaming/list.php).
-
(Crazy Horse) DELETED by Crazy Horse
I think the biggest problem is getting good FPS on a 3ple monitor system? Also you get a broken up image... but the wideness is always nice of course

I have posted some stuff on this topic on my blog if you are interested. http://simroom.blogspot.com
Quote from Imphy :I think the biggest problem is getting good FPS on a 3ple monitor system? Also you get a broken up image... but the wideness is always nice of course

I have posted some stuff on this topic on my blog if you are interested. http://simroom.blogspot.com

Hey great work there in your blog!!! Im definitely going to use some of your ideas!
Great, glad you found use of it. Before I purchase the projector I am going to try a triple head solution with some older CRT monitors and write about the experience as well.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG