The online racing simulator
Yes for a while I was given somewhat dubious feedback about the entry/finish stats being given to mid race joiners, how it works now is the stats are not logged at all - originally it logged all mid race join stats, but for a period in the middle - responding to feedback, I messed it up and it logged finishes without logging mid race joins...

Just goes to show, sometimes the evidence is utterly wrong
First off, thanks for providing this great system and the servers to run it. LFS is a better place because of the CTRA system.

Now it's time for me to whine about the points Actually, just an observation. Back in the old system, there seemed to be a "participation bonus" or something - it seemed like everybody got at least one point (times a car multiplier) for finishing on the lead lap. I think this had an effect on the way people drove. On most public servers, including the new CTRA, I find this kind of thing happening a lot...

I drive my butt off for 4 laps to pass someone for some mid-pack position. Shortly after I make the pass, the guy I pass overcooks it going into a turn,or makes an aggressive mistake, goes off track, then he pits or disconnects. There's no incentive for him to finish the race. You see a lot of races that start with 16 cars and end with 6.

In the old system, that guy would drive to finish the race and collect his point(s). In the new system, there's no point (literally) in finishing if you're not fast or in the top few finishers. I like to drive the whole race, even if I'm not getting points, but it seems like many don't.

Maybe I'm reading too much into my fellow drivers' behavior. Of course in the end, it's up to each driver to decide if they want to bother to finish. But awarding a point or two for everyone on the lead lap might encourage a higher percentage of drivers to complete the race.

I know this is dangerously close to the "right of passage" license which you're trying to avoid. I think of it this way: if you're earning 1 point/race for 300 races (or however many points you need) and you haven't been reported, you must be clean, if not fast

Just my .02. It's your system to do with as you like. Thanks again for giving so many racers a high quality place to compete.
I'm going to keep the licence points as they are for now, but I do have plans for an alternative system that was sheduled for phase 2 that is going to be introduced a little earlier. I'll give more details of it soon, i've got a few things to sort out from the release and I need Sam back from holiday before I begin writing it.

I think it might effect this 'phenomenon', and give something for people who race for points something to drive for.
it is a lot better than the start Becky. Even I am getting a few points
It must be too leenient then, i'll have to adjust it
Quote from Becky Rose :It must be too leenient then, i'll have to adjust it

LOL! now hand me a can of FOSTERS, you FOSTERS marketing girl :P
Quote from StableX :LOL! now hand me a can of FOSTERS, you FOSTERS marketing girl :P

not only a fosters girl, its MY grid girl

anyway, the points-system is hard but that makes me try even harder
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm going to keep the licence points as they are for now, but I do have plans for an alternative system

If you're interested, I got an almost perfect formula for ranking drivers. Well tested too, but never put in a program to automate the calculation...
Quote from Danke :Maybe I'm reading too much into my fellow drivers' behavior. Of course in the end, it's up to each driver to decide if they want to bother to finish.

That is true, but starting a race and not finishing will show in a driver's stats if I'm not mistaken. They don't seem to be viewable publicly on the site, but if you type $stats in game I think there's some kind of retirement ratio. Not 100% sure and I can't check it now the servers are down so correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I, for one, wouldn't want my retirement ratio to be too high 'cause it would just indicate that I'm a quitter and not persistent. I especially would be worried about this if those stats were available to anyone.

Personally, I think the point system is about right now. I had problems with it at first because I was just trying to drive the XRG and almost never got any points, even though I finished within the top 5 or 6 on multiple occasions. But I figured "to hell with the XRG", switched back to the XFG and feel that I'm really a lot more competitive. I've scored more points in the past 4 days or so than in the entire time since the launch before (I think I scored a total of 8 points in the past 4 days so just goes to show how slow I'm progressing ). The new 108% may have something to do with that as well But getting points just for finishing a race is not right IMO
I hope not!!
Quote from obsolum :That is true, but starting a race and not finishing will show in a driver's stats if I'm not mistaken. They don't seem to be viewable publicly on the site, but if you type $stats in game I think there's some kind of retirement ratio. Not 100% sure and I can't check it now the servers are down so correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I, for one, wouldn't want my retirement ratio to be too high 'cause it would just indicate that I'm a quitter and not persistent. I especially would be worried about this if those stats were available to anyone.

Man I hope this isn't the case because my finish ratio will suck. I keep losing the connection to server. My stats will be atrocious!!
Quote from obsolum : I had problems with it at first because I was just trying to drive the XRG and almost never got any points, even though I finished within the top 5 or 6 on multiple occasions. But I figured "to hell with the XRG", switched back to the XFG and feel that I'm really a lot more competitive. I've scored more points in the past 4 days or so than in the entire time since the launch before (I think I scored a total of 8 points in the past 4 days so just goes to show how slow I'm progressing ). The new 108% may have something to do with that as well But getting points just for finishing a race is not right IMO

I didn't think a bronze license could progress using the XFG? Am I wrong? I will go back to the XFG in a second if I can get points in it. I HATE THE XRG!!
Even a Titanium licence can progress in XFG.
Quote from zeugnimod :Even a Titanium licence can progress in XFG.

At the same rate or a reduced rate?
Obviously a very reduced rate. I dont think they could get more than 1 or 2 points for a win with the fastest lap or something like that.
Quote from zeugnimod :Obviously a very reduced rate. I dont think they could get more than 1 or 2 points for a win with the fastest lap or something like that.

OK Thanks.
Quote from zeugnimod :Obviously a very reduced rate. I dont think they could get more than 1 or 2 points for a win with the fastest lap or something like that.

Think again. I've seen Gold and Platinum racers get 10+ points, sometimes even up to 18 points for a win. That's the very reason I gave up on the XRG! I got +5 points for 6th place in the XFG a couple of days ago. Also, if you look at the guys winning most races, they're usually driving the XFG and have a license higher than bronze. At least that's the impression I got. You do get more points for the same position when you're driving the XRG, though. But hey, at least I'm earning points now. It may take me while longer but I'll get there. In the XRG I'm certain I would never reach Silver in this lifetime.
Quote from Toddshooter :Man I hope this isn't the case because my finish ratio will suck. I keep losing the connection to server. My stats will be atrocious!!

Check the $stats menu in game, it's there But it's only available to you as far as I know.
just a question about the progress of drivers with SS Nat.Liz. B : do they get a reduced progress in points if they are racing on the SS 1 server ? if not, could this be a good idea to decrease the points drivers with licenses can get, when they drive in the SS1 ? so there is some kind of forcement to go to SS2 (if it opens ) and for now the top driver can increase their points more slowly than the other guys, try to getting the license ? (just some thought, maybe of missing the knowledge of pointing for higher licenses)
Quote from haelje :just a question about the progress of drivers with SS Nat.Liz. B : do they get a reduced progress in points if they are racing on the SS 1 server ? if not, could this be a good idea to decrease the points drivers with licenses can get, when they drive in the SS1 ? so there is some kind of forcement to go to SS2 (if it opens ) and for now the top driver can increase their points more slowly than the other guys, try to getting the license ? (just some thought, maybe of missing the knowledge of pointing for higher licenses)

I asked almost the same question here on this page.
But I did not get an answer so it's good that you asked it again.
no idea about the SS points, but i think its the same "point-count-machine" for the other servers...

if so, the answer is YES, higher licenced drivers getting less and less points,
the more they got.

and they get even more less, on a "lower" server
Quote from LordBlaster :no idea about the SS points, but i think its the same "point-count-machine" for the other servers...

if so, the answer is YES, higher licenced drivers getting less and less points,
the more they got.

and they get even more less, on a "lower" server

Fantastic, I like the CTRA system more and more....
Quote from Demon68 :Fantastic, I like the CTRA system more and more....

e.g.

we drive on race 3, GT2 class:

sparkydave (n#1 ctra-list, 60k, titanium) wins a race, set a record and
get 10 pts.

i win a race (n#7, 48k, platinum), set a record and get about 20 points.

kitch wins a race (n#37, 30k, platinum) and get about 30 points.

burn wins a race (gold) and get about 40 points... and so on.

thats what i noticed on the race3 server so far...
Quote from LordBlaster :e.g.

we drive on race 3, GT2 class:

sparkydave (n#1 ctra-list, 60k, titanium) wins a race, set a record and
get 10 pts.

i win a race (n#7, 48k, platinum), set a record and get about 20 points.

kitch wins a race (n#37, 30k, platinum) and get about 30 points.

burn wins a race (gold) and get about 40 points... and so on.

thats what i noticed on the race3 server so far...

and as a prize, Blaster had too much beer and had a dream about GIrlsaloud!
Quote from StableX :and as a prize, Blaster had too much beer and had a dream about GIrlsaloud!

He dreamt he was one of them i heard.
but i think in difference to the Race-servers you drive the same car in SS2 than in SS1, so i think the point system decrease points if you are driving a car from a lower licence (i think it's car dependent not server-dependent), that's why i ask if such a system is working for the SS-servers too.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG