The online racing simulator
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Well there might be a way... but thats up to them, more servers added or 3rd party servers connected to the system. Or changing the cars in the servers.

Well for me its just practice more i guess...1 point for effort is not in the cards i guess.

Viewing the attachment in your original post, it looks like your fastest lap of 0:49.8 was the killer there, Spikey.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :I am thinking now its a lot more difficult to get points under X.

Through the X-System, COMPUTEAM Race Authority seeks to promote the ethos of hard and competitive racing while perpetuating core racing ethics and standards. Licences are earned through both excellence and "cleanliness" in driving. Licences are not easily attained and are not a rite of passage,

Have read all this but dont see it. Have added a scorelist where i seem to feel that before i was entitled to points. I know i am not among the top timewise, but by staying out of trouble and being clean and consistent i am able to finish in top 10.

If you expect us to feel motivated and make progress it should be able to advance.

I am feeling that the points are not evenly distributed in the middle group and the threat of elitism arises?

I was able to progress to silver slowly but steadily before, but if the points are given out like this....

Would like to hear other users on their impression of the points-system and if they feel its different.

you didn't get any points there, because you were not on the same lap as the leaders. I like that to be honest. For now, I'll stick to Bump servers as its about the only way I can get points in CTRA. If you drive like crap but end up on the same lap as the leaders, you get points.......

and what do points make, prizes!!!!!
Quote from StableX :you didn't get any points there, because you were not on the same lap as the leaders. I like that to be honest. For now, I'll stick to Bump servers as its about the only way I can get points in CTRA. If you drive like crap but end up on the same lap as the leaders, you get points.......

am doing the same as you.
Quote from faster111 :well i i got points on the bump server last night and on the racing one i can't now its weird what do u say now?

The reason is that it's retardedly easy to get points on the Bump 'n Jump server, especially if you're still White Roof/C grade. Though even on Yellow Roof/B grade it's easy enough, seeing that all the 925 points I have were earned on one day within a few hours. The normal racing servers seem to give out significantly less points than the BnJ ones (though that's probably by design).
Quote from StableX :you didn't get any points there, because you were not on the same lap as the leaders. I like that to be honest. For now, I'll stick to Bump servers as its about the only way I can get points in CTRA. If you drive like crap but end up on the same lap as the leaders, you get points.......

Neither was the guy who came 5th (after Spikey's 4th), but he did a 0:48.54 at some point and got 3 points.

It seems that lap times hold more sway than anything else at the moment.
at first i have to say: AMAZING and GREAT system !!!!!

what i can't understand is all the criticism about the point system. it's right, that's hard to get points for licence progress and in some ways i can understand all the people finishing top10 and getting no points. but if u are fair with yourself there are reasons for that: you obviously don't have the pace. so like another poster said: you can't expect points only if you race clean, that is one of the preconditions every driver aggreed with the rules.
one point didn't work with the new system is: drivers in small grids which do not have the pace are now not able to get points for their licence progress. i think it's good like this!!!

another point i can't understand: why is getting points so important? the quality of racing is nowhere so good like on the ctra servers. i never had real clean fights for place 14th on other public servers and this brings a lot of fun, if u like clean racing so for me the main motivation is to improve my overall performance and especially my pace to be able to get points. and i think if u are a fast driver u should able to get points constantly, it's far away from impossible!

so, don't worry about the slow licence progress, it's the base to be competitive for the higher servers
Quote from dungbeetle :It seems that lap times hold more sway than anything else at the moment.

Certainly seems the case, but it is worth remembering that laptimes can be affected by the circumstances of the race itself.

I can't wait for someone to post up results of a 5 way battle causing poorer times, and no-one scoring any points.
Quote from Bean0 :Certainly seems the case, but it is worth remembering that laptimes can be affected by the circumstances of the race itself.

I can't wait for someone to post up results of a 5 way battle causing poorer times, and no-one scoring any points.

i think if this would be 5 fast drivers with good experience their times are not slowed downed so much, that u can't get point, if the fight is a clean one. it's right, that u are a bit slower in fights than in having free track infront and pace at maximum, but not as slow as you missed the 106%
Quote from StableX :As much as a lot of what you say is very wise, on this point, I for one, race here for a number of reasons including clean racing. To say forget about the points in my view is missing the point to many. What CTRA brought before and now, is a careermode to LFS that isn't there usually. To be able to progress, points are vital.

No, CTRA brings an opportunity to race cleanly against other people of a similar speed to yourself. It does this as an effect of having a licence. It's fun, and it gives a sense of achievement when you go up a tier, but fundamentally it should always be about the racing. Laptimes and position.

Would you have more respect for an F1 driver (or favourite race series of your choice) if he said he was in it for the money, or because he loved racing, driving fast and winning?
Quote from Christofire :
Would you have more respect for an F1 driver (or favourite race series of your choice) if he said he was in it for the money, or because he loved racing, driving fast and winning?

You mean that they don't WANT all those millions of pounds a year salaries???

If they are only doing it for fun, they are welcome to send ME some of what they don't want!
Quote from Christofire :No, CTRA brings an opportunity to race cleanly against other people of a similar speed to yourself. It does this as an effect of having a licence. It's fun, and it gives a sense of achievement when you go up a tier, but fundamentally it should always be about the racing. Laptimes and position.

this isnt formula one!
Quote from dungbeetle :Neither was the guy who came 5th (after Spikey's 4th), but he did a 0:48.54 at some point and got 3 points.

It seems that lap times hold more sway than anything else at the moment.

Which like i said benefits only hotlappers. If it were the totaltime it was something else i guess. But laptime? Not that i would get the points then... I know i am not the best racer. But if i succeed to get in top 10 i must be doing something better then the 10-20 other racers on there. Its about the total race not about performance of 1 lap i hope.
Haven't driven anything for the past couple of days so don't have any more experience of CTRA-X than what I garnered on Friday/Saturday, but even then I noticed how few points were given out.

I can see both sides of the argument. I don't want to advance too quickly through the licences and find that other folk are coming through as well without any real racecraft, otherwise eventually it'll just end up like the CD servers with a bunch of single-minded, unaware drivers piling into each other at T1 in 15,000bhp of GTR cars. And it's true that if you haven't got the pace to finish well on a tier 1 server then there's not much point in progressing to tier 2.

However...

imho it's fundamentally wrong that it's all based on your fastest laptime. It's the same wierd logic that the CD servers use, whereby your eligibility for the restricted servers is judged on single lap times, regardless of your cleanliness, racecraft, and overall race time.

It's the old tortoise and the hare scenario, which does crop up quite often on public servers. Which is the better racer that you'd prefer to compete against on a restricted server? The tortoise who is consistently a bit off the pace but drives steadily and cleanly, or the hare who tears around in hotlapping mode, twatting into people and sometimes falls off the track but who puts in a couple of blinding laps?

Obviously there are some who drive very fast and very consistently, but out of everyone else at the moment it seems only the hare gets rewarded. What do individual lap times have to do with anything other than the concurrent qualifying? Surely what matters is your overall race time? To me it seems as though involving the fastest lap time in the points calculation risks putting the emphasis on the hotlapping performance, which I thought was what the CTRA system was against. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong when I get on for a drive this week and try out the tier 1 servers for a bit.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Which like i said benefits only hotlappers. If it were the totaltime it was something else i guess. But laptime? Not that i would get the points then... I know i am not the best racer. But if i succeed to get in top 10 i must be doing something better then the 10-20 other racers on there. Its about the total race not about performance of 1 lap i hope.

Hear Hear!!

Quote from TiJay :This isn't WOW, I don't want to have to grind hour after hour.

Don't, then. If you don't like racing, go do something else.

Quote from StableX :For now, I'll stick to Bump servers as its about the only way I can get points in CTRA.

Wow. You really aren't interested in the racing at all, are you? I'm glad these servers are weeding out people like you.

Quote from faster111 :am doing the same as you.

And him.
I have read through these posts and it occours to me that for the good of the community all Titanium and Platinum Licence holders from the old system could be considered for automatic Licence to the second tier server as I believe in real life this is what would happen, It's not as if they have anything to prove driving level 1 in the FOX.

Thats not to say either that if they wish to race at level 1 with the fox they will be stopped from doing so, this may make the experience that little more enjoyable for the mass populous and alleviate the bad feeling some have with the system at present.

Over time this situation will disappear as the better drivers gain thier licences but this will still take a couple of weeks IMO.

Personally I have no problem as I race purely for enjoyment the Licence system is secondary but does add that something extra to keep you coming back

PS. I love the Bump and Jump as it's tottally different and great for stress relief upto a point
just have to remember to pull the reigns in from time to time
Quote from CELTIC100 :I have read through these posts and it occours to me that for the good of the community all Titanium and Platinum Licence holders from the old system could be considered for automatic Licence to the second tier server as I believe in real life this is what would happen, It's not as if they have anything to prove driving level 1 in the FOX.

Thats not to say either that if they wish to race at level 1 with the fox they will be stopped from doing so, this may make the experience that little more enjoyable for the mass populous and alleviate the bad feeling some have with the system at present.

Over time this situation will disappear as the better drivers gain thier licences but this will still take a couple of weeks IMO.

Personally I have no problem as I race purely for enjoyment the Licence system is secondary but does add that something extra to keep you coming back

PS. I love the Bump and Jump as it's tottally different and great for stress relief upto a point
just have to remember to pull the reigns in from time to time

Thats also my main point. Not that i wont race CTRA, i like the standard of racing that i always try to strive for myself. It's just now i am afraid i will have to wait months for my 1st points.
Quote from thisnameistaken :
Wow. You really aren't interested in the racing at all, are you? I'm glad these servers are weeding out people like you.

I am truly sorry you think that! How you can say that without thought is a little concerning. I love racing and have spent many years racing in true life on varying platforms. I just find from a point of view like CTRA, having the aspect of racing toward something is great. As Marco said, coming top 10 and getting a point or two is something rewarding! Doesnt mean CTRA will weed me out as you put it!

Have a littel thought before dissing someone as it gets you nowhere,
Quote from StableX :I am truly sorry you think that! How you can say that without thought is a little concerning.

I made my assumption based on the quote I provided from your earlier post. How was I supposed to interpret your statement "For now, I'll stick to Bump servers as its about the only way I can get points in CTRA", combined with half a dozen other posts lamenting the dearth of points available on the race servers?

It certainly sounds like you want to be given a reward for turning up and driving a few laps, and if you don't get that reward then you don't feel the experience is worthwhile. In that case, I'd rather not be racing you.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Don't, then. If you don't like racing, go do something else.

And him.

Wait i min who says am not interested in race i am interested in racing.
Quote from Bean0 :I can't wait for someone to post up results of a 5 way battle causing poorer times, and no-one scoring any points.

i speced something which was a bit like that yesterday
24 laps so sprint 1 or 2 with fox ... interestingly enough none of those starting from the front got anywhere close to the finish line

from what ive gathered the system doesnt take into account that the winners laptimes on a longer race especially on a track like so will be considerably slower than the record not because hes slow but because he knows what hes doing
I raced on other servers before all this, there was no reward, no points or license to be gained but I still raced.

This is the only bad thing about the CTRA system, it brings out the "I'm only racing for the points and nothing else, these points me more to me than anything else" in people.

I race to race, for the enjoyment that racing other people brings to me. The CTRA will bring good and clean races (hopefully) and let me race people who are around the same pace as me, which means closer racing, which means more enjoyment.

People seem to be forgetting that if you’re not fast enough to finish in the points then you are fast enough to race all the other people who aren’t fast enough to race for points, which includes me.

It's nice to have a goal, something to work towards but I'm here playing LFS for the fun of racing, not to squabble over none existent points.

LFS is about racing, don't forget that
Quote from Shotglass :i speced something which was a bit like that yesterday
24 laps so sprint 1 or 2 with fox ... interestingly enough none of those starting from the front got anywhere close to the finish line

from what ive gathered the system doesnt take into account that the winners laptimes on a longer race especially on a track like so will be considerably slower than the record not because hes slow but because he knows what hes doing

Thank you...and it DOES diminish the whole experience to not score any points for that!

BTW..I was talking about a 17 lap race at SO Town....
Well this is getting nowhere.

The point sytem is hard, defitnly true, you need to push the limit to gain points on your license. But in real live it is just the same. Nothing comes free !.

I have been a betatester with a lot of other guys. You think we got any points there ?. No way !! with Moose, Jakg, Dru and several other really fast drivers. But this never took away the fun of racing.

We want clean servers with clean drivers and still gain points when we 10-15 seconds off pace ?. I`m sorry you just cant have it both ways.
I get the feeling you only drive for points instead for fun.

Secondly I think this thread isnt showing any respect for Becky, Sam and a lot of others who spent about a month sitting behind there screen writing this software. I can tell you there have been several late hours involed until early mornings, too get where we are now.
So please show some respect at least. Even if you are not happy with the point system.

Drive clean and 1 day you will get your points. Dont forget the sytem isnt even live a whole week. This means a lot of higher licensed racers will drive lower servers. Just stay in track show your consistency and you will get your points.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG